Stress Eating

Help. I have been stress eating and cant seem to stop. I even eat when I am not hungry. 18 more days and my husband will have surgery to have his tumor removed. Oh and I have been sleeping all the time. I have GOT to get it together.

Replies

• kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    My husband has cancer in his hip bone and will have to have it removed on November 16th. Also my 5 year old son started having seizures about a year ago. Well he outgrew them and now is having another kind of seizure. Finally in the last week or so the medication seems to be working. Also I have 2 1/2 year old twins whom I love dearly but what can I say they are 2 1/2. I havent been able to find a job in 2 years as well. I just need to remember this too shall pass and that God is in control.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Your last sentence said it all. I think stress eating is the least of your concerns. Get some type of exercise for mental health/well being more so than losing weight. I'd choose to poop out the 2 1/2 year olds while you walk maybe.

You must take care of you before you can take care of anyone else. My thoughts are with you.
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    I can not honestly relate to such a major situation and I wish you all well. I'm sitting exams at uni at the moment and I find a lot of exercise helps me to relax and stops me eating everything in sight.
    Again good luck to your Hubby and your family :flowerforyou:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    You have a lot of stress on you right now and I can see that my best advice may be a little difficult given your current situation. Try to replace your stress eating with another incompatible activity. Exercise is a great one. I have found that spending a few minutes on the treadmill is a great way to relieve stress and if I am walking 4.0 MPH on a #15 incline... well, that does not allow for eating a lot of chocolate candy. The biggest thing is that somehow you have to break the cycle... that is the hard part. Best wishes and may your hubby be cancer free soon.
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    OMG girl! Don't beat yourself up. You are going through some tough times, and have been, from the sound of it.

If you can find someone to help you learn to meditate and some sort of exercise that you love, those two activities can help turn you from the stress eating. I know that when I eat out of stress, it kind of snowballs, whereas when I stop myself in time and remember to do something else, it helps everything and I can deal better.

Good luck. Keep posting. By joining up here, you have taken the first steps to get yourself thinking about how to best paddle through the storm instead of trying to hold it back all by yourself.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    You do have a lot on you plate right now!

You are stress eating because you are under a lot of stress! don't beat yourself up!

Be good to yourself.

I have twins that are 22 years old now, but I remember the exhaustion very well! I know I ate too much hoping that eating would give me the burst of energy I needed to get through the day.

If you can get even a little bit of exercise, like a walk with the kids in the stroller, that might help with the tiredness and it reduces stress, too., and you'll sleep better when you do sleep.

Do you have family close by to help out? With all you've got going on, it sounds like you can use some extra hands.
  • Give yourself a break!!! My goodness, you have a lot to think about and a lot to do.
    I have never had your present worries, but we all have our issues.
    What works for me when stressed? Walking, doing something with my hands like knitting, going outside as much as possible and reading aloud to the kids. When I need to eat - I keep lots of washed and cut up veggies ready to go. I do celery sticks (which I hate, but will eat when stressed), thin cut cucumber circles, thin cut carrot circles and peppers cut into strips. Drink lots of water and herbal tea. Prayer helps too.
    Take care of yourself. We are all sending you positive vibes for your husband's surgery.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    I'm a Stress Eater and Compulsive Overeater as well as Binge Eater. I go to Overeaters Anonymous online. Please see my profile page for links to online OA. Also oa.org has resources if you want to go to face-to-face meetings. It's the only way I can deal with this disorder. Feel free to friend me.
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    One thing at a time honey.

Just be honest with your food logging here at MFP, if nothing else, you'll be able to look back at it when your life is more manageable.

You're probably doing a fantastic job right now, everyone's depending on you, and you're still standing.

I applaud and salute you, keep it up, and don't worry about the weight right now.
    It will go, because it's not really too hard, once you have the time and space for yourself.
  • Take some time off to yourself daily. I really believe that all will be well for you. You are in my thoughts.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 213 Member
    I really empathize with your situation. It's the not knowing which is most stressful!

Just know that everyone's positive energy is behind you.

If you hospital has a group that you can attend to help anserw your questions and give you immediate support then I would wholeheartedly recommend attending as soon as possible. With everyone depending on you like this you're just eating your anxiety to be strong for everyone else...
  • speedracer2007
    speedracer2007 Posts: 53 Member
    I certainly can empathize with your your situiation. I too have had a hip infection that required a removal and it will be replaced in November...this isn't my first time either. I've endured a tremendous amount of medical challenges which also destroyed my career path. Yes some days I throw myself a pity party, but I look at others who are so much worse off than me...young soliders who have lost both legs, people who have lost everything in the recent flood and have no insurance....while our delima is terrible,
    remember it could always be worse. You have 2 choices ...have a good attitude or a bad attitude...either way you will still have the same problems at the end of the day...I chose to have a good attiude, do what I have to do to the best of my ability to correct my problems & turn my life around. MFP has helped me with my weight, but I did it...no one did it for me.

You can handle this without stress eating. Take a breath, commit yourself to being a happy person and deal with what you can...the other stuff...don't sweat what you have no control over...and God will help you if you help yourself.

Good Luck