I'm always over on protein...is that bad?

Options
Every day I'm over on my protein. I eat very healthy protein, ie low fat cottage cheese, lean ground turkey, cod but I wonder how bad it to be over every day. Could it be affecting weight loss?

It may be because on past diets and programs they were low carb and high protein.

Any input would help!

Thanks

Replies

• colemank82
    Options
    I am always over on protein as well. not really sure of the affect though
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    My doctor told me that she would rather see me be over on protein than carbs:)
  • karoske
    karoske Posts: 38
    Options
    It is good. Protein is what your muscle's need to grow.. It is food for muscles. My protein is set at 50. I am over every day by at least 40 to 65.
  • jenine3
    jenine3 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm jealous...I'm always under :(
  • cheetah31
    Options
    I have been over on protein some too. It helps build your body. There are lots of foods that are low in protein that you can eat to help keep it low. Meats are alot of protein....Cut back on size or switch foods around. Good luck!
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    Options
    gotta love that protein... the more protein the better in my opinion!
  • totonicolavela
    totonicolavela Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In large amounts it can increase the fat levels (not something anyone here wants to do), as well as other very harmful effects. Read this link for more detailed information:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
    Hope this sheds some light on the subject.
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    I'm usually over on protein too, good for the muscles though :smile:
  • dawn33
    dawn33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my protein. Protein is good for you so I don't see anything wrong with it. I would way rather be over on that then carbs and fat!!!
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    I found this that might help you. I go over all the time too.

How much protein do I need each day?
    There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that's about 64 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that's about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won't harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function; in later stage kidney disease, sticking to the 0.8 grams per kilogram minimum is advisable. Consult a doctor or a registered dietitian for individualized protein recommendations.
  • jcarey101
    jcarey101 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the responses. The protein gives me the energy that I need. If I lessen the amount I can notice it in my energy level, especially around 3:00pm.

Thanks everyone.. I LOVE THIS SITE!