What is the deal with Sirloin Steak?

Options
I'm eating lots and lots of steak, but in 400-500 calorie portions. I've recently discovered the joy of Sirloin, which is leaner and a lot lower in calories, allowing me to eat more. But how much lower is it?

Unlike most meat entries, Sirloin seems to be a guessing-game. Based on what website I look at, 3 oz of Sirloin can be worth a minuscule amount of calories or enough to end my day. MFP is no better, with numerous entries, each vastly different and each with several accuracy votes. What's going on, here?

I recognize there are three sirloin cuts (Upper, Lower, Roast), but this is out of hand. Can anyone point me to an authority of some sort? It's making it difficult to eat this stuff, as I'm never really sure how many calories I've eaten anymore.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered the joy of Sirloin, which is leaner and a lot lower in calories, allowing me to eat more.

Are you sure that is sirloin? Sirloin is usually quite fatty and calorie dense.

Anyway, there is no way of being 100% accurate with the nutritional info as it comes down the exactly where it was taken from the animal, how fatty the cut is and probably even such things as how old it was and what it was fed on.

Just eat it, enjoy it and accept that you can't be totally accurate with such things and they average out over time anyway.
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No, Sirloin is one of the leaner cuts of steaks. If it is trimmed of all visable fats then I believe it's around 55 calories an ounce. There is usually minimal marbling in sirloin so the only fat to trim is along the outside. With 1/8" fat it is around 75 calories an ounce (I looked this up awhile ago from several websites but it seemed pretty consistent, can't remember the fat grams now off the top of my head).

Also, I could be wrong but I believe "top sirloin" is a little leaner than regular "sirloin".

Either way, it's my favorite cut of steak! I love the flavor, it's healthy (I only have red meat once every couple weeks anyways) and more affordable!
  • nhobbit
    nhobbit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth as a comparison...at Applebee's a 7oz Sirlon is 250 calories and 9oz is 310 calories. That and seasonal veggies you can eat out and enjoy!