missed period

Options
2 months. Definitely not pregnant. I am naturally very relaxed and calm, so it couldn't be "the stress". Could it be the fact that I lost 10 pounds in the last 2 months?
Ladies, has any of you missed your period because of weight loss?
i'm worried :(

Replies

• xoSugarPlumxo
    xoSugarPlumxo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Before I started lifting I was spot on 28 days but now for the past few months its been like 40 days. My doctor just said its probably due to low body fat % and to not lose anymore weight. So you could be in the same boat. Losing 10# in 2 months is pretty intense on your body. If your that concerned though you should speak with your doctor.
  • xxloveiswarr
    Options
    Call your doctor. 10 lbs in two months is normal loss it shouldn't effect your cycle like that.
  • Armyx2
    Armyx2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out a lot, I never get a period. Just depends on what is normal for YOU. If you are worried, definitley see your doctor. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Judging from your picture you are

A. Underweight or at the very least have no need to lose weight
    B. Very young
    And judging from your weight loss you are probably starving yourself and your body is malnourished hence the lack of a period. 10 months is normal loss IF you have a lot to lose but you don't seem to, therefore 10 lb's in 2 months is a lot...how many calories a day are you eating? How often to you exercise? Do you eat those calories back?

To answer your question--yes I missed my period for about a year, I was anorexic at the time.

Three months of missed period is one of the signs of anorexia.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    It can happen. I was an athlete in high school, and my cycle would get off-kilter during periods of heavy training. Sometimes I'd be two to three weeks late.

If you're concerned, check with your doctor just to rule out any other possibilities.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    your body needs a certain amount of body fat in order to have a period. R u under weight?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you netting? There is a certain threshold of energy availability (net) that if you go under it, you will experience disruption in LH pulsatility and ovarian function.

The girls in this study exercised for 15 cal x lbs of lean body mass x 5 days.
    They also ate 31 cal x lbs of lean body mass x 5 days.

When their net was below that threshold number for 5 consecutive days, disruption was likely to occur.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It could be because you're not getting enough iron. Try adding iron-rich foods to your diet, such as almonds :)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Not having your period on time is normal for athletic women and could cause low bone density. I'm not a woman so I'm not too familiar with the research on bone density. Is the loss of bone density only in correlation to women in their teens are does it impact adults? I haven't found the research paper yet so I'm unsure on that part.

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/triad.html

Here's info from sports medicine.
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/women/a/Amenorrhea.htm

I think this is the official study. I just read the discussion portion of any science studies since it's not too hard to read.
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/87/6/2777.long

Here's another study.
    http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2009/ExerciseAmenorrhea.htm
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Yes, chronic calorie restriction results in bone mass density loss in adults as well. The big difference is that calcium supplementation and estrogen therapy have little success in recovering the loss in young girls. So if they suffer loss as an adolescent, they likely will never reach peak bone mass density.
  • dominikaro
    Options
    Just go see your doctor and have this problem solved. You don't want to risk your health.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I was missing periods when I got down to a lower body fat % and really upped my exercise.
    I'd see your doctor as I only missed two cycles then when my body settled down they came back.

But you don't look like you have anything to lose.
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    Yes! This happened to me too - it is still out of whack and I've never missed one before. I haven't seen the Dr but I'm assuming it is the weight-loss - not underweight just have never been this skinny before. On the up side - when it does come I don't get cramps like I used to when I was fat. It is a bit disconcerting though isn't it? I never imagined I'd actually want the blessed thing to come!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yes! This happened to me too - it is still out of whack and I've never missed one before. I haven't seen the Dr but I'm assuming it is the weight-loss - not underweight just have never been this skinny before. On the up side - when it does come I don't get cramps like I used to when I was fat. It is a bit disconcerting though isn't it? I never imagined I'd actually want the blessed thing to come!

I was like that too, wishing it'd come lol.
    My pain is twice as bad now though :grumble:
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    My cycle was never normal, but I was anorexic in HS, and lost my period all together. My breasts stopped growing permanently as well. My doc said that that is the first thing your body sacrifices when you are starving yourself, as it is not necessary to ovulate/menstruate to live. My period never came back normally, but I was lucky enough to still be able to have kids.
    Go see a doc. If it WAS a normal cycle before, and is not now, it is worth getting checked out.

Wishing you the best.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the information! i'm 5'8" and right now 112 lbs, but NO starving here, the lowest i'd go is 1300, and twice a week on average i'd have 2000 kcal... i am not trying to lose any more weight but if i start eating more (and as much as i'd like to) i would gain all the weight back :/
    i work out 3 times a week. Maybe I should start eating more, but slowly??
  • hkasel
    hkasel Posts: 69
    Options
    I think you should ask your doctor about your heath before you go on asking/believing internet strangers who could give you the wrong information.
  • Ladyeliah
    Ladyeliah Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    5'8" and 112 pounds is underweight on all three of the charts that I looked at. You might want to talk to your doctor to be sure that you are at a healthy weight for your particular body. That way someone will be looking at you and your lifestyle and not just an overview of the population. Still, my guess is that you're going to need to put on a few more pounds to be healthy and work on toning your body instead of just dropping weight. I wish you the best of luck!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the information! i'm 5'8" and right now 112 lbs, but NO starving here, the lowest i'd go is 1300, and twice a week on average i'd have 2000 kcal... i am not trying to lose any more weight but if i start eating more (and as much as i'd like to) i would gain all the weight back :/
    i work out 3 times a week. Maybe I should start eating more, but slowly??

Are you doing mainly cardio? If you read the last study I posted, Amenorrhea is associated more with Athletes that do a lot of cardio. Gymnasts still had their menstruating cycle but had the same bodyfat percentage as runners. So, try building some muscles and lowering the cardio a bit.

http://healthpsych.psy.vanderbilt.edu/2009/ExerciseAmenorrhea.htm