Salad dressing recommendations...

Options
Hi all,

I am a VERY picky eater. Can you re moment some good salad dressings. I'm a Hidden Valley Ranch type of girl, but I just got into Honey Dijon. If it doesn't taste food, I probably won't eat it.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Don't use bought dressing, just make it yourself. Much more health and cheaper. You'll find thousands of recipes in the internet. Or just try what you like, like: vinegar, olive oil, mustard, honey, pepper, salt!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Both Bolthouse and Maries have come out with new lines of yogurt based salad dressings in a bunch of different flavours, they are delicious and have way less calories than regular salad dressings. Give them a try!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Both Bolthouse and Maries have come out with new lines of yogurt based salad dressings in a bunch of different flavours, they are delicious and have way less calories than regular salad dressings. Give them a try!

I second Bolthouse. Absolutely love their ranch and ceasar dressings!!!
  • lilteepot
    Options
    Mix a packet of hidden valley ranch with a 2-cup tub of Fage Greek Yogurt. Add milk a little at a time until you have the right consistency. WAY less fat, WAY less calories. Tastes like hidden valley ranch. (I'm also a HVRanchaholic). Also great as a dip.

Also, try something new -- a basic vinagrette - Mix together 2 TBSP each of balsamic vinager, olive oil, and honey. Makes 3 servings (2Tbsp each).
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you season your salad well it doesn't need any dressing in my opinion. I usually just squeeze a lemmon on my salad and it taste great and for a girl like me, that was a shocker!!! They make all kinds of salad seasoning right now and Ms. Dash has the least amount of sodium. Try it, you may like it :smile:
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I found on Pinterest to buy the plain greek yogurt and the dry package of Hidden Valley Ranch and mix your own then thin it down with milk till you have the consistency you like (or keep it thick and use it as a veggie dip). Lower in cals and extra protein. Just an idea. I also have tried those Bolthouse Yogurt Dressings they are yummy and a better option. You can find those in the chilled section of the produce.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    There are many recipes to make your own dressing, and they come out delicious. You can also make your own recipe to make your own dressing. A lot of the time I use just vinegar, low calories. I also love Ranch and Honey Mustard as well!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Cook 5 onions, chopped large, in a pot til they begin ton clear, but are still firm. put in food processor. add preferred spices. Mrs. Dash is great and comes in tons of flavors. i put in whatever veggies i like. puree them. i put this on my salads, with whatever else i want. finely puree in a blender if you like. i put vinegar on the salad itself after i add this dressing. and sprinkle crushed cashews on top. adding chicken to salads too, its very good. keeps things from getting boring.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon really good balsamic vinegar, shaken, not stirred. Not calorie wise, but a nice way to get your good fat.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon really good balsamic vinegar, shaken, not stirred. Not calorie wise, but a nice way to get your good fat.

Yeah, this is nice - olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some basil. You don't need much.
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree that homemade is best! Bottled dressing has soo much sodium...

BUT homemade is not always an option. I too am a hidden valley ranch lover but I have been using the KRAFT Three Cheese Lite Ranch and it is really good! It has that rich ranchy taste with a kick of cheddar. It's really good... Also, the Bolthouse Yogurt stuff is all really tasty too!
  • Terryism
    Terryism Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I personally like salsa as a dressing. Especially with a little seasoned ground turkey breast, lets me think I'm eating a taco salad without all the calories.
  • vee1733
    vee1733 Posts: 13
    Options
    Make your own ranch.

2 Tbsp Greek Yogurt Plain
    1 Tbsp reduced Mayo (I use Kraft Reduced Fat Olive Oil Mayo)
    Hidden Valley Dry Seasoning Ranch- 1 tsp
    Salt, Pepper and if you'd like green onions
    63 Cal- 5g Carbs - 3g Fat- 3g Protein- 3g Sugar
  • vee1733
    vee1733 Posts: 13
    Options
    Make a couple servings of it so you have it on hand. Hardest part is mixing! :)
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    I suggest that you use whatever kind of dressing you like, but just try to use less of it.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like to put jarred banana peppers on my salad. LOTS of flavor!!
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I like using salsa as a dressing, or greek plain yogurt with some salt free seasonings added. If I do use a store bought dressing I use the Blue Menu ( Canada here) salad dressings as they are reduced fat and low is sodium. Otherwise the other dressings are crazy high with calories, fat and sodium!! :) If you are set on using other dressings watch your portion sizes as dressing on a salad can easily add up to alot of calories! Good luck!
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the greek yogurt and ranch packet. Sounds yummy!!
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    KEN'S STEAKHOUSE LITE! ANYY FLAVOR.

Omg, my current obsession is Lite Caesar. It tastes so amazing and it doesn't taste light at all, just perfect. Only 45 calories per tablespoon.