Do i fork out for the GYM ???

So far i have managed to lose a few pounds without the need for throwing £15 a month at the local gym, walking and riding the cycle seems to be doing the trick for me but i am wondering if i am going to have to at some point get a membership to maintain a decent weight loss over the next few months.... ????

Can i still get a reasonble workout from just walking during my dinner time at work (30 mins) and cycling for (20-40 mins) in the cold dark winter months when i get home or do i need the gym.....

I just cant decide ????

Gavin

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Are you looking to just lose weight or do you want to work on how you look naked with a lower fat to lean body mass ratio?

A gym isn't necessary to lose weight, but provides a means for gaining muscle and improving your fitness and for that it will help. The gym provides an effective tool to carry out resistance training and cardio. It's up to you ,if you'll use it.

15 pounds is pretty cheap - my German gym is 24 pound and my French one is even higher.

I have a great gym, I enjoy it. So for me the answer is: yes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Sounds like you don't want to go, or perhaps don't want pay, for a gym membership. Don't go or don't pay if you don't want to. Gyms are not a requirement for losing weight.

After you have lost the weight you may end up wishing that you had gone to the gym because of the vast improvements in your physique that strength training provides but to each their own.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Do you need to join a gym? No. Do you even need to workout to achieve your weight loss goals? No. But, if you want to firm up and look good when you've reached your goal, you may have to do a bit more than walking. But, it is totally up to you. If you're happy, it doesn't matter. I am not sensing in your post that you really want to join a gym. So, maybe table it, and decide later.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Some won't agree and that's ok, but you can maintain strength and even build some of you are a beginner in all this fitness stuff just by doing own-bodyweight exercises at home. What you would miss from going to the gym might be the company you get in working out with others, the acess to weights you may not afford or want to have at home and someone to spot your work if you need.

My personal preference is to see what bodyweight exercises I can do because I like the creativity and challenge and I can take it with me wherever I go. It also lines up well with my main activity also, so I prefer to do it this way.

I have done weight lifting years back and really enjoye it for the reasons above, but I have let myself go over the past couple of decades - on my way back.

Whatever you decide to do - make sure it is something you enjoy as you will be doing it for life!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    No, you don't need to fork out the money. With some research, there are plenty of exercises you can do at home for free (or a small cost, if you want to get a DVD). You can use your body weight for strength training and there's the great outdoors for cardio! Use your imagination! Gyms are a waste of money, IMO.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    save up and buy exercise equipment and weights for your home and buy some workout videos. You will save a ton of money and time by not going to a gym.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    I say you definitely don't need to fork out the money. Use the money you would spend on a gym membership to save up for some of your own fitness equipment. I was able to buy a lot of things used. Sometimes you can find a really good deal on weights on Amazon or other websites. Just a few basic tools will make a huge difference!
  • Thanks to one and all for the replys :o)

I dont really have the money for the gym but i could find it if needed, thats my main problem money and i know its only £15 quid but at the moment that can be better used else where in the house budget.

For now i will leave it i think and hope the weather allows me a bike ride or two at least during the week.

Thanks again everyone
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    No, you don't need to fork out the money. With some research, there are plenty of exercises you can do at home for free (or a small cost, if you want to get a DVD). You can use your body weight for strength training and there's the great outdoors for cardio! Use your imagination! Gyms are a waste of money, IMO.

For the most part, I agree. A gym can provide a lot of variety in a workout due to the different equipment and classes. However, you can still get cardio and strength training on your own. Get some hand weights, resistance bands, and exercise ball or some workout DVD's and you're good to go. Regardless of whether you belong to a gym or do it on your own, you still need to motivate yourself to do it. I find I'm more motivated in the gym than on my own. But that's a personal choice.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I pay for the gym but do all my workouts at home! They won't let me cancel my membership.

For me I like working out at home better because I feel like I can push myself as hard as I can without being embarrassed when I'm grunting, sweat is flying across the room, etc. I do some P90X and Jillian Michaels videos inside, I run outside, and I take a ballet class a couple times a week and it's been smooth sailing to my fitness goals.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I pay for the gym but do all my workouts at home! They won't let me cancel my membership.

For me I like working out at home better because I feel like I can push myself as hard as I can without being embarrassed when I'm grunting, sweat is flying across the room, etc. I do some P90X and Jillian Michaels videos inside, I run outside, and I take a ballet class a couple times a week and it's been smooth sailing to my fitness goals.

What do you mean they wont let you. That's ridiculous. Just cancel the card they have and get a new one, they wont be able to charge you. Geez. That should be illegal. tell them you moved to another state. Just get out of it. That's absurd. If you're not going, you need to stop paying. Ugh! I hate stuff liek this. I'd be out of it tomorrow and would never pay a dime. And, I would inform them too, so it doesn't escalate on their side into something silly, like collections. Just let them know in writing that you are no longer going, and therefore, you are no longer paying. Cancel the card the have...tell your bank you lost it. They'll issue a new one and the gym will no longer be able to charge on the old one. Problem solved.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    You can get a very decent weight workout at home, I think. Some people hate the gym, some love it. I hated it. To me, it was a chore to get bundled up on a cold Winter night to get there. Then, once there, it could be so busy, the equipment I wanted would have a 3 person waiting list. I preferred to have everything at home. My treadmill, my elliptical, my free weights ranging from 5 lbs to 15 lbs, my kettlebells, my dvds and a clear area to workout in. Then there was never an excuse to workout. It was only a matter of changing clothes and going downstairs.
  • llgeisz
    llgeisz Posts: 34 Member
    Heres a tip for US residence, Check with your health insurance providers some of them offer you money to use for gym memberships or reduced membership fees at gyms... It is in the insurance companies best interest to keep you healthy...
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    So far i have managed to lose a few pounds without the need for throwing £15 a month at the local gym, walking and riding the cycle seems to be doing the trick for me but i am wondering if i am going to have to at some point get a membership to maintain a decent weight loss over the next few months.... ????

Can i still get a reasonble workout from just walking during my dinner time at work (30 mins) and cycling for (20-40 mins) in the cold dark winter months when i get home or do i need the gym.....

I just cant decide ????

Gavin

Get a used weight set. I paid 150 bucks on craigslist. With that you can get all the workouts you would ever want on nerdfitness.com and scoobysworkshop.com. I have had great results with that and cardio like you are doing, running, biking, etc.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

Yep, not going outside for cardio when it's 40 below out.