Up 3lbs & Freaking Out About It!!!!!

Options
LoraF83
LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
Just kidding!

I am up 3lbs, but I'm not freaking out at all. Here's why:

1. I've had a lot of sodium the last couple of days, so I'm probably retaining water. It's a small price to pay for tasty food.
2. I lift heavy, and I did my workout last night. My muscles are retaining more fluid for repair. Totally worth it to obtain a lean, muscular body
3. I'm a woman, so my monthly cycle can affect my weight.
4. Maybe I need more fiber? :laugh: :wink:

Everyone has weight fluctuations. It's completely normal and happens for a variety of reasons. You can expect your weight to fluctuate up to 5lbs in a single day. THAT'S OK!! As long as you see a general downward trend, you'll be fine. If you can't handle the fluctuations, put the scale away and only weigh yourself once a week or once a month. There is absolutely no use getting stressed over something you can't really control.

Have a happy Wednesday!

Replies

• GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yes, this ... all day long. :drinker:

I've been on a plateau and have even gained a couple of pounds this month but I could care less. I know it's because I'm exercising more. My clothes are fitting better and I can start to see the difference in my muscles. That's all that matters to me. While I want to see a downward trend on the scale, the way I look and feel is so much more important.
  • asyrinsgirl
    asyrinsgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This post makes me happy. You are awesome for posting it.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    This is why you are so awesome. You continue to motivate me and give me excellent advice! My scales are away!!!! Loving my body changes with lifting. Lost another inch off my waist this week. My goal? Not weigh again until 01-01-13!! :laugh:
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this because I am up 5 lbs and for the past 2 weeks I can't get rid of it! I'm not freaking out, but I'm definitely annoyedl The only change I made is I started to run trails. I'm assuming my leg muscles are on overdrive (they hurt a lot lol) because I use my muscles differently when I run trails compared to when I jog on the street or kickbox which are my typical workouts. I have, however, used this weight gain to get pissed enough to be stricter on my eating. I usually stay w/in my calorie range but my food choices could be better (less carbs more protein, typical). Thanks for the post, I know I'm not alone!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I vote for number 4: Need more fiber. I think I just flushed at least 2 lbs.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This just makes too much sense!! Sorry but that will not be allowed around here!! :wink:
  • stehmari
    stehmari Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That's a great goal-not to weight until 1/1/13. I'm going to try that! Thanks for sharing!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    This just makes too much sense!! Sorry but that will not be allowed around here!! :wink:

I know....hopefully I won't get a strike!! :laugh:
  • ladioffaith
    Options
    I vote for 5 ... all of the above!

I stepped on my scale as soon as I got up. Up 3 pounds. Did it again after I peed a second time. Up 3 pounds. Checked again after I put on my dress slacks and sweater. Now "err 2" which means those 2 articles of clothing weigh at least a pound more than my nightgown.

Then it's off to the doctors office, where I remove my coat, keys, cel phone and contents of my pockets. Up 2 more pounds!

And yet, every pair of drawers I own is more droopy than they were when I REALLY was down only 10-12 pounds.

I've worked out and while I seriously doubt those few sessions at the gym gained me 3 pounds of muscle, I do buy the water retention theory ...
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I sooooooo needed to see this today...Thank you!
  • Jstarr77
    Options
    This post makes me happy. You are awesome for posting it.

Yes, this!!
  • debbie14892
    debbie14892 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the post! I have recentley started strenghth training with my boyfriend along with my regular cardio workouts and have been freaking out because I have gained a few pounds. Now I know it's normal and can relax a little!

You're a life saver!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Just kidding!

I am up 3lbs, but I'm not freaking out at all. Here's why:

1. I've had a lot of sodium the last couple of days, so I'm probably retaining water. It's a small price to pay for tasty food.
    2. I lift heavy, and I did my workout last night. My muscles are retaining more fluid for repair. Totally worth it to obtain a lean, muscular body
    3. I'm a woman, so my monthly cycle can affect my weight.
    4. Maybe I need more fiber? :laugh: :wink:

Everyone has weight fluctuations. It's completely normal and happens for a variety of reasons. You can expect your weight to fluctuate up to 5lbs in a single day. THAT'S OK!! As long as you see a general downward trend, you'll be fine. If you can't handle the fluctuations, put the scale away and only weigh yourself once a week or once a month. There is absolutely no use getting stressed over something you can't really control.

Have a happy Wednesday!

You are quite right. I'm a 5'1" female and my normal daily fluctuations are only 3 lbs though, more would be something more to think about.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.
  • LKG31
    LKG31 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Amazing post!!! You saw my status, so I definitely needed this today!!! :happy:
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You scared me for a second!!!!!!! Yeah I've been up and down these past few weeks, it's definitely been the sodium and what I have been eating! Plus we're building muscle so yeah, that's heavier. I'm not mad about that!! Great job as always.