Too much protein...is that really bad?

Options
Hello All!
Just been having a look through my diary days and have noticed that most days I'm having far too much protein. I'm on 1,250 calorie a day diet but generally tend to eat around 1,500 as I walk the dog twice a day so "earn" more calories.

I've never really looked at the totals for carbs/fat/protein before but would eating too much protein stop my weight loss?
BTW...if you can see my diary, I am totally ashamed of last weekend...went away for the weekend and ate horrendously, have paid the price with a 1lb weight gain!

Thank you in advance!!!

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually, the Journal of American Medicine published a study that showed that higher protein (at least 72g for women) is ideal for maintaining lean body mass and successful weight loss. I got in 130 grams yesterday. Protein is awesome. Eat it up!
  • UKChloeT
    Options
    Oh good!! I guess as long as it's lean protein and I'm not going over on fats then I should be okay?
    My weekend really was awful.....KFC is delicious and horrendous in equal measures!!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Protein is GOOD for you, and MFP puts it way too low. My dr. and nutritionist want me eating at least 80g per day. Hubby's dr. wants him eating a .5 gram for each lb he weighs, so right around 104 G

go for it :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Oh good!! I guess as long as it's lean protein and I'm not going over on fats then I should be okay?
    My weekend really was awful.....KFC is delicious and horrendous in equal measures!!

I don't worry too much about fat from meats. The only fat that I avoid is trans-fats and I try to make sure I take in more unsaturated than saturated.

KFC is yummy. I make oven-fried chicken, like homemade shake-n-bake. I mix spices with bread crumbs and coat the chicken with it then bake it in the oven. It tastes like fried chicken, but a lot lower in calories.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat more protein in a single meal than MFP allots for an entire day, using the default settings. I'd recommend changing your macro profile.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I eat more protein in a single meal than MFP allots for an entire day, using the default settings. I'd recommend changing your macro profile.

/nod.. 62g for breakfast every day here! My goal is 135 and from what I have seen that's even LOW around this place :D
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

You'll be ok even if you do go over on fats.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Protein needs are based on your goals and activity levels. Like most things to much of a good thing can be bad. MFP sets the protein levels for normal people not for people who are exercising intensely. Like most things that MFP recommends if your going to go beyond what is considered normal or safe you should be getting advise from a competent doctor or nutritionist based on your needs and your body.

Just like MFP will never advise someone to go under 1200 calories a day they aren't going to recommend high protein numbers either. Do some research and make sure your eating a balanced diet. Eating to much protein and cutting back on other things like carbs can be bad for you. A well balanced diet is key.
  • UKChloeT
    Options

I don't worry too much about fat from meats. The only fat that I avoid is trans-fats and I try to make sure I take in more unsaturated than saturated.

Oh good, I think I'm on the right track then! I don't think I have much in the way of trans fats because I don't eat many processed foods, I cook from scratch and don't keep naughty things in the house (although we do currently have snack sized malteser bags in the fridge and snack a jack crisps in the cupboard...but that's as bad as it gets)
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others here, MFP are way too low. I aim for about 1700 cal/day with 140g of protein. Ish.
  • katztwins
    Options
    Hi all. I am a week into this and realizing after reading some posts that MFP protein levels are way to low especially since I go over them daily. How can you figure out the right amount of protein and carbs for your body and weight loss goals? Thanks
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked this question! I was just thinking this since my breakfast and planned lunch already have me 9g over what MFP has me set for!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Hi all. I am a week into this and realizing after reading some posts that MFP protein levels are way to low especially since I go over them daily. How can you figure out the right amount of protein and carbs for your body and weight loss goals? Thanks

If you know your body fat % then you can do .8 grams per pound of lean body mass. Alternatively, you can do .8 to 1 gram per pound for your goal weight.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Protein is good, and it helps you feel full :) Bring on the meat!
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    No.
  • katztwins
    Options
    Okay not to sound dumb, Math isn't my thing. So without knowing my body fat percentage i need to multiply my goal weight which in this case is 100 pounds times .8 to get the amount of protein i need? Thanks for the quick responses.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Okay not to sound dumb, Math isn't my thing. So without knowing my body fat percentage i need to multiply my goal weight which in this case is 100 pounds times .8 to get the amount of protein i need? Thanks for the quick responses.

If you follow this link it will give you step by step to set up your numbers - including an increased amount of protein - mine is currently set at 40% of my daily cals - I have it set a bit higher than most because Im strength training at least 3x / week and doing other workouts on the other days.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • katztwins
    Options
    Thanks Ravengirl for the info. Now i think I am more confused. I need details for idiots, straight and too the point. Too much info overwhelms me.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ravengirl for the info. Now i think I am more confused. I need details for idiots, straight and too the point. Too much info overwhelms me.

You should start with the Newbie Info thread that is stickied on the top of the "general" forum it's a good start. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition Unfortunately when you are trying to lose weight safely information is a good thing. Read it slowly and ask questions but these are things you really should get to know.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My nutitionist told me to get 70-80 grams of protein a day but lately I have been getting close to 100 grams a day. I asked her yesterday at my appt. if getting 100 grams of protein was bad and she said no. I usually eat 1000 cals a day sometimes less. I was concerned with carbs too but she told me for someone eating 800-1000 cals a day that 80-100 carbs a day was ok.
    Protein fills you up and keeps you full. It also helps build muscle. Drinking 80 oz of water a day also helps alot too.
    Good luck!