Am I losing too quickly?

Options
I weighed myself this morning and have lost another almost 2 lbs, that makes 7.2 lbs since I started, and I really only got serious about this maybe 18 days? It says I've logged on for 20 days in a row, but the first couple of days I was just getting a feel for things. I'm afraid that it's not 'real' weight loss or something if I'm losing that quickly? Or is it normal to lose that much in the beginning? I'm 5' 5" and 151 lbs (feels good to say that) so I'm only medically 1 lb over weight, so I don't have a ton to lose, I would ideally like to be about 127lbs. TIA!

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    A lot of the weight people lose in the first week or so can be water so it's not unusual to have a big loss for the first couple of weeks. If you are eating sensibly and healthy then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I am eating my calories, except for yesterday, lol. Ignore yesterday, I wasn't feeling well.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    That's very quick for your height and weight, but chances are it is mostly water, as you've just started. If it continues to come off that quickly, it might be an idea to raise your calorie goal a bit so that you're losing more like 0.5 lb a week.

Also, if you're unwell and underate yesterday, that might have had an effect if there is less food/waste in your system, or if you're dehydrated. Hopefully, things should stabilise as you get back to normal.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lbs in the first month but then again I had over 100lbs to lose! I think as long as your doing it the right way that there is no such thing as losing too quickly! Congrats on your loss!
  • n2thenight24
    Options
    Thank You! I also don't want to get into this mindset and get discouraged when my weight loss slows way way down. I'm just really hoping that it doesn't all come back, that's my biggest concern. And I didn't even think about the not feeling well yesterday thing. I was definitely running on empty this morning, I didn't eat hardly anything yesterday, which could certainly explain my 2 lbs this morning.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'd be more worried about 20 - 25% of my daily calories coming from Dr. Pepper.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I think I dropped about 10 lbs the first week or so and then went to a more 'normal' rate. It's likely mostly water if you are just starting out, especially if you don't have much to lose.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You might be losing water weight. You seem to be staying within your goals although pizza and cokes are not very healthy. Try drinking more water and maybe add some healthy stuff like fruit into your diet. I would suggest eating healthier to help get lean. Good job though cuz if I ate like that I would be way over my calorie counts. Just balance your numbers and stay in the green if that's what works for you. Good luck!
  • n2thenight24
    Options
    Yesterday I did have two slices of pizza :( I felt way too awful to cook anything so I took the easy way out. And the cokes are actually my biggest accomplishment. I am trying to cut them out completely and never let myself have more than two cans in a day, and I never drink the can all the way down. But you have to keep in mind that this is down from 5-6 Mt. Dews, daily. I'm honestly looking for something that I like enough to completely replace it with, or I'm afraid that I'll just start drinking them again when I finally quit.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it looks like you have been using the GNC lean shakes. I love them!!!!!!!!!!! I wasn't losing until I started drinking them for breakfast like you are doing. (Your diary looks just like mine btw.). There is a lot of fiber in them, so I think that flushes out your system. Other than the shakes it doesn't look like you are getting too much fiber, veggies, etc. Did you just start drinking them? If so, that could be it.
    I also see that you are worried about your weight coming back. I wouldn't be as long as you are tracking. You are headed in the right direction, you've cut back on your pop and if just add more vegggies, you will keep it off. Good luck!
  • n2thenight24
    Options
    I started them when I started this and I love them! They keep me full right up till lunch and they taste way better than I ever would have thought a meal replacement shake could taste. I do need to incorporate more veggies. I'm trying to learn to eat healthier, but my taste buds forgot to grow up with me, and I just don't like a lot of things, that's why this diet thing is so hard for me sometimes.
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I lost loads in the first week. I think it is just your body adjusting. So no you are not losing too quickly but it probably won't continue at this pace.
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think your doing fine your weight loss will even out just stick with your calorie and exercise goals and you will get there. I know cutting back on coke is hard I used to drink a lot of it now its a treat to have one every few weeks or so. I have lost 11lbs in 9 weeks I have my calorie goal at 1200 to try and get my lbs off before vacation but then I plan to stay with mfp and go into maintenance as a life style change not a diet. I still go out with friends to eat,drink I just try to stick within my calories or make sure I get a good work out in so I can have extra calories.