Sore elbows?

Options
Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I started using 5 pound weights and doing planks. My elbows are a mess all of a sudden.

While lifting the small weights I was making sure to keep my elbows slightly bent, and I am using a mirror to make sure I am doing things right. I think my form is good. I am doing this every other day, well the planks are every day.

This is the first lifting of anything I have done. So, I have gone from sedentary (as in picking up nothing heavier than a milk jug for more than a few seconds) to lifting, and even though it is only 5 pounds it does make my arms quite tired.

Is it possible my elbows are sore from muscles building up? Would sore elbows mean only a form issue?

Has anyone experienced this, or have any tips?

I appreciate your help!!

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What movements make your elbows sore? Do they hurt while you're just sitting around? What movements are you doing with the weights?
  • SqueakGirl
    SqueakGirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I guess that would have helped sorry... I do not know the technical names so bear with me... I hope I make sense...
    Bicep curl
    Triceps (by bending slightly and having my arms stretch out straight then bend back, I think kickbacks?)
    Arms straight at sides then going up to shoulder level (lateral raise)
    Arms straight at sides then going up in front to shoulder level (like a lateral raise but out front)
    The last is a arms bentwith weights at shoulders, then I straighten my arms right above my head then back down. (Overhead extentions)

My elbows are a bit sore during but it is mostly after that they are very sore.
    I woke up and my left arm was a little numb and tingly. That went away fast but the elbow is very sore.

Edit: I looked up the names :)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    doubt you are really building muscle at that weight. probably repetitive stress.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    wellbert is correct. Have you been coached on these movements to make sure your form is correct? If I had to guess, your issue comes from the triceps movements and changing direction in mid-stroke repeatedly. Joints do not hurt due to muscle growing. They hurt from doing something too much, too heavy, or incorrectly (typically). With the numbness and tingling, I'd consult a physical therapist or orthopedist, as you may have something non-exercise related to deal with.
  • SqueakGirl
    Options
    I found this article http://www.livestrong.com/article/380004-sore-elbow-from-lifting-weights/
    I am thinking I may take a break until the pain is gone then try again... I will have to work on my form maybe.
    Thank you for your help!
  • SqueakGirl
    Options
    I will contact my doctor.

It's funny you mention the triceps one because that is the one where I feel like I have the least control over what I am doing...
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    It's probably some combination of:

overuse/tendonitis
    form issues
  • DrHeadBang
    DrHeadBang Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing when I started a simple strength training routine. Dumbbell curls and the like exacerbated my "iPad elbow" - yes, that's a real thing. If you use a tablet or smartphone on a regular basis it weakens the tendons.

I started using a stand for my tablet and don't spend as much time scrolling on my phone and the pain has all but stopped.

Hope that helps.
  • SqueakGirl
    Options
    Oh my goodness I use an iPad!
    I have got to look into that, thank you!

I lovedeadlift - I am thinking you are right, it is my form causing issues.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've had this before. I don't think it was actually my elbows that were sore though, it was the tendons and ligaments around them as well as the muscles.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Every time I up my weight my elbows are sore for a week or two. Then they start to feel ok again and I know it is time to increase again.

I am sure a bunch of "know alls" will say I am doing it wrong.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Also - don't be afraid to straighten your arms all the way during the exercises. You are not lifting a heavy enough weight that this could hurt you. Don't do it very quickly (don't "snap" your elbows straight) but straightening the arms all the way is part of your natural range of motion. I read that women were taught, and heeded the advice, not to straighten all the way. If you don't, though, you are not working your full range. I stress, do not do the motions quickly, but you should not be doing any weighted exercise with quick motions.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting, my joints were really, really mad at me. Elbows, shoulders, wrists, knees, ankles, everything.

As you progressively lift more and lift heavier, your joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments will all adapt and you'll notice the pain start to go away.

It's also possible that your form is off, but even if it's correct you'll still have some elbow and other joint pain for a while as your body adjusts to things. In the long run you will be stronger, more flexible, and less susceptible to injury.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I get sore elbows from overhead extensions when I allow my arms to drop too far behind my head, or my elbows push out. Since my upper arms are straight up close to my ears. when I lower the weight beind my head I do not let my elbows bend past 90 degrees, so my forarms are parallel with the floor. Then when pulling the weight back up above my head I make sure my elbows stay close to my head and do not pull out (even though the want to).
    Hope this helps with form.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Also...
    I guess that would have helped sorry... I do not know the technical names so bear with me... I hope I make sense...
    Bicep curl
    Triceps (by bending slightly and having my arms stretch out straight then bend back, I think kickbacks?)
    Arms straight at sides then going up to shoulder level (lateral raise)
    Arms straight at sides then going up in front to shoulder level (like a lateral raise but out front)
    The last is a arms bentwith weights at shoulders, then I straighten my arms right above my head then back down. (Overhead extentions)

My elbows are a bit sore during but it is mostly after that they are very sore.
    I woke up and my left arm was a little numb and tingly. That went away fast but the elbow is very sore.

Edit: I looked up the names :)

I'll give you the Tony Horton (P90X) names:

1 Bicep curl (no other name really)
    2. Tricep Kickbacks (you were correct)
    3. Straight Arm Shoulder Fly
    4. --not a move anyone really does.-- instead, you may want to try lifting your wrists to your chin with your elbows bent, arms close in. Elbows will end up higher than wrists. This is called an Upright Row.
    5. Military Press is an alternate name

If you are looking for other moves to try:
    Back Fly (stand in same position as for tricep kickbacks and try to bring your elbows up - pretend they are going to meet behind your back)
    Overhead Tricep Extension (stand straight up with one foot in front of the other, knees bent - raise arm straight above your head and then lower weight behind your head, keeping elbow in place. Do one arm at a time)
    Lawnmowers (Stand in a lunge position, but facing forward - one knee bent knee over ankle with foot pointed slightly out, other knee straight with foot straight forward - start with weight by bent leg's foot and lift in a diagonal motion up to your chest... again, one arm at a time for this)

Good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    if something hurts, there's often a better version that is.. well, better

Tricep kickbacks... trash 'em. Close grip bench, tricep push down, dips...