Spaghetti Squash

Options
For those of you that have tried it as a pasta substitute, what did you think? Was it a good substitute? What does it taste like? What kind of sauce did you use with it?

Thanks!

Replies

• jfcincoski
    Options
    I like it with a plain tomatoe basil sauce or a veggie sauce better than something with meat in it. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and its very good. My kids didn't like it so made pasta for them.

One of our fav Halloween meals was blood and guts and bones. Spaghetti sauce for blood, spaghetti squash for guts and penne pasta for the bones.
  • treineck
    treineck Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    First time I tried to make this I baked it in the oven, and must've overcooked it because it did not make noodle type strings (just mush). Last time I tried it which was just recently, I microwaved it. Cut in half long ways, cut side down. It pulled away easily with a fork, but it was a little more "al dente" than I would prefer pasta. I just used I can't believe it's not butter spray on it with a little salt & black pepper. It was ok, I'll keep trying new things with it.
  • mrsrobinsonlauraj
    mrsrobinsonlauraj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    LOVE this stuff! Any kind of pasta sauce will work but I like mine with salt and pepper and sometimes with a touch of butter.
  • xXKatrinaXx
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash. It does kinda taste familiar to spaghetti I think. I just used a tomato sauce with ground turkey in it :)
  • nooodll
    nooodll Posts: 38
    Options
    Google Martha Stewart's recipe for spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs. It's delicious, the whole family loved it. Meatballs were moist and flavorful and when I plugged it into MFP, the calories per serving were 364.
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A few squirts of ICBINB , a dash of salt and pepper and sprinkle with parmesean cheese..............yummy !! I microwave mine too.
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It's awesome, but its definitely not pasta :)

I roast mine in the oven, scrape it and then top it with a bolognese sauce.

My four year old likes it, that should be enough of a testimonial. :laugh:
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I like and depending on how long you cook it can be have a little crunch to it or more mush. I have done it with a spagetti sauce and the other night did a mexican style. Very low calorie and filling!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I find it to be a little bit sweet but it makes both a good main or side dish, with sauce like any traditional pasta or with herbs and butter or oil. I find my favorite way to eat it is with a splash of cream and fresh parm so I don't have to have a jar of sauce hanging about.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I have eaten it with a tomato meat/veg sauce. It isn't exactly pasta, but it works for me. I can eat a whole lot for a little calorie wise. I think it is a great option.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I mixed mine with a little sauce, sprinkled garlic, parmeson, and a little mozzerella on the top. Baked just to melt the cheese. Served it to my hubby who hates all vegetables and would never in his life agree to eat squash, but he really liked it. It has a bit of a crisp to it more than pasta, and just a touch of sweetness, like pumpkin, but is actually pretty good. I want to try it with stir fry veggies like a Low Mein dish and see how it is.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. It definitely isn't pasta, but is a great vessel for almost any sauce. I love it with tomato sauce of any kind, but best with a turkey meat sauce. I also sometimes mix it in with regular spaghetti noodles to "veg up" pasta night. I made it last week, roasted and then added just a little olive oil, pesto and feta cheese.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Yummy and any kind of sauce on it is good; meat sauce or marinara.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I make mine in the microwave, too. I cut it in 1/2 put cutside down on a dinner plate and add just a bit of water to steam it. I cover it with plastic wrap. When done I shred the squash with a fokr then put it in the strainer to drain, pushing it down to get all the liquid out. I use 1-2 C. of the strings and top with 1/4 C. spahghetti sauce and some parmesan cheese. I really like this! Other times I sprinkle with Mrs Dash garlic and herb seasoning and have as a side.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    For those of you that have tried it as a pasta substitute, what did you think? Was it a good substitute? What does it taste like? What kind of sauce did you use with it?

Thanks!
    If you anticipate it having the taste and texture of pasta you're going to be really disappointed. It's a bit nutty flavored and a bit crunchy. I personally really enjoy it. My standard is in anything with tomato sauce. I layer it in lasagnas, use it as spaghetti, and make spaghetti pie with it. I enjoy it but it doesn't give me the feeling of "I just ate a BIG bowl of pasta".
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It's good with butter and salt, but I find it to be too sweet as a substitute for pasta with my tomato and meat sauce. We actually prefer adding chunks of cauliflower to the "spagetti" sauce and eating it more like a chili than over any substitute.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's not spaghetti but it's a great alternative. Very filling and satisfying. I like it with some sauce and cheese.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I don't think of it as a pasta substitute exactly, but it does dress nicely. I made some with crumbled feta, lemon juice, oregano and a bit of olive oil and it was fantastic.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i serve it with Ragu cuz i'm fancy like that. it tastes exactly the same. its not big with my son though, probably based on looks alone.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I make mine in the microwave, too. I cut it in 1/2 put cutside down on a dinner plate and add just a bit of water to steam it. I cover it with plastic wrap.

I have found that just piercing the skin in a few places with a fork and putting the whole, uncut squash in the microwave works really well.