Hair Loss related to weight Loss????!!!!?????!!!

Options
I have lost 140 lbs and I have 140 lbs more to go. I am concerned because I have been losing my hair at a much more dramatic rate than when I was eating whatever I wanted. I am taking vitamins (multi, D, B-complex, biotin, magnesium). The doctor has run blood tests and my thyroid is fine. She has checked my scalp and has found no reason I should be losing my hair. I am only 41 and my hair has thinned dramatically in the last 6 mos. Is it possible that my hair loss is somehow related to my weight loss?

Replies

• FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The oly time I ever experienced this was when I lost my "freshman 15" in college and concentrated on cutting fat from my diet and didn't focus on good protein at the time either. This was back when we thought low-fat=good. How much fat and protein have you been getting? What are your macro ratios?
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Yes. Major weight loss can cause hair loss that is faster than normal. Been there, done that, panicked accordingly. :laugh: It will stop eventually.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have and am experiencing this! But, don't worry...you won't go bald. :sad:

It should level out...or so I am told. :smile:

Congrats on your success and best of luck in your continued journey to a healthier you. :flowerforyou:
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Yes.

My sister lost 8kgs (about 14 pounds) quite quickly due to severe food poisoning, and during this time she shed hair like crazy. her scenario is different to yours but i think the two can be related.

boost your zinc, omega oils etc.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yep, when I lost 112lbs in a year, I also lost a very good chunk of the hair on the top of my head. I never got my really thick curls back, but while still thin, it is much better than it was back when I lost the weight so fast.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    reprinted from LiveStrong

A significant weight loss of more than 15 Ibs. can lead to hair loss, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Although consuming vitamins such as vitamin A in excess can actually accelerate hair loss, receiving sufficient amounts of vitamins on a daily basis can help keep hair loss at a minimum during weight loss.

Iron
    Regardless of the amount of weight loss you've achieved, poor iron intake can lead to hair loss, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. According to the National Institutes of Health, the Recommended Dietary Allowance for iron is 8 mg for 19- to 50-year-old men, 18 mg for 19- to 50-year-old women, 8 mg for adults ages 51 and above, 27 mg for pregnant women and 9 mg per day for adult breastfeeding women. Iron can be found in foods such as meats, legumes and fortified breakfast cereals.

Protein
    Although protein is not a vitamin, it's an essential nutrient that, if deficient in your diet, can lead to hair loss, according to the American Academy of Dermatology. Make sure your diet contains adequate amounts of protein to help minimize hair loss associated with weight loss. The U.S. government's 2005 dietary guidelines for Americans recommend consuming 10 to 35 percent of your daily calories from protein when you're losing weight. Protein sources include meat, milk, eggs, cheese, soy products, nuts, seeds and legumes.

Vitamin E
    Vitamin E can be supplemented in your diet to help reduce hair loss, according to the American Pregnancy Association. The National Institutes of Health recommend adults consume at least 15 mg of vitamin E each day. Vitamin E can be found in foods such as nuts, seeds, some vegetable oils and most multivitamins.

Zinc
    Zinc is another nutrient that can help reduce hair loss, according to the American Pregnancy Association. The Recommended Dietary Allowance for zinc is 11 mg for adult men, 8 gm for adult women, 11 mg for pregnant women and 12 mg for lactating women, according to the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Zinc can be found in of foods such as meats, poultry and fortified breakfast cereals.

Vitamin C
    Vitamin C supplementation can help maintain healthy hair and reduce hair loss, according to the American Pregnancy Association. The recommended dietary allowance for vitamin C is 90 mg for men, 75 mg for women, 85 mg for pregnancy and 120 mg for lactation, according to the National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements. Vitamin C is found in a wide variety of fruits and vegetables and most multivitamins.

References
    American Academy of Dermatology: What Causes Hair Loss?
    Medline Plus: Iron
    U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005
    American Pregnancy Association: Pregnancy and Hair Loss
    Medline Plus: Vitamin E

http://www.livestrong.com/article/257332-vitamins-for-hair-loss-due-to-weight-loss/#ixzz2Asqrc5qH
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Nisim-F-A-S-T-Shampoo-Conditioner-Combo/dp/B000JNRIM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351690600&sr=8-1&keywords=fast+shampoo

This stuff has helped my hair tremendously. I also take biotin. My hair loss isn't related my my weight-loss though. Mine is related to not taking proper care of it and being addicted to coloring it. I started using this, and promised myself I wouldn't color my hair until I reach goal weight. It's grown about 2 inches in 2 weeks, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a miracle for me. I also don't have nearly as much shedding as I used to. The shedding though-out the day has seriously cut down by about 90%.

I meant 2 inches in 8 weeks, not 2 weeks. I would kill for an inch a week lol
  • joydayval
    Options
    The oly time I ever experienced this was when I lost my "freshman 15" in college and concentrated on cutting fat from my diet and didn't focus on good protein at the time either. This was back when we thought low-fat=good. How much fat and protein have you been getting? What are your macro ratios?

40/30/30 are my settings. I am usually right at 40/30/30 at the end of the day/week.
  • joydayval
    Options
    Yes. Major weight loss can cause hair loss that is faster than normal. Been there, done that, panicked accordingly. :laugh: It will stop eventually.

HAHAHA Thanks!
  • joydayval
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I forgot I started fish oil and biotin this past Monday. I will look at my zinc and iron levels. It has been really scary because the hair loss is sooo dramatic!!! I do fear going bald!

Your (collective) posts have been encouraging! Thank you!!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed so it may just be a shot in the dark but.. Eating a very low calorie diet for extended periods can also cause hair loss and a few other things so if you are hitting your macros it may be that you are still not getting enough to eat in total daily calories.
  • joydayval
    Options
    Your diary is closed so it may just be a shot in the dark but.. Eating a very low calorie diet for extended periods can also cause hair loss and a few other things so if you are hitting your macros it may be that you are still not getting enough to eat in total daily calories.

I eat approximately 1600 cal per day. I eat no bread, sugar, wheat, caffeine, artificial sweetener, cheese, or any processed foods.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Perhaps not getting enough protein? That's what hair and nails are comprised of, after all.
  • daddysgrl
    daddysgrl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when my calories were too low. The dermatologist said I was "starving" and hair loss is common. I didn't believe her. Once I upped my calories it not only stopped but new hair started growing like crazy. Good luck! I know how stressful this is which btw doesn't help.
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You need more protein in your diet.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

I eat approximately 1600 cal per day. I eat no bread, sugar, wheat, caffeine, artificial sweetener, cheese, or any processed foods.

Everyone's requirement is different so the number means nothing. What is your TDEE? Just to use myself for an example. I'm 5'6 cw 193. My TDEE is 2100 and I hardly do anything, I don't work out and I have a desk job. For me 1600 is too low. You are 2 years older, don't look much shorter and seem to have more to lose based on your ticker so your TDEE is even higher than mine. If this is the case then you are not eating enough thus not getting enough nutrients thus experiencing symptoms associated with that.