Heart rate calorie burn

Options
red5
red5 Posts: 56 Member
I have an elliptical trainer and I think the heart rate calorie burn is wrong on there. I am wondering about the arm bands and which ones are good and which ones people on here recommend?? Help! I want to get one ASAP!

Replies

• T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Go with one by polar...I have a RS 100 and love it
  • hanzj
    hanzj Posts: 2
    Options
    Those built in ones are usually way off. The best thing you can do is get a decent heart rate monitor. Get one that you can customize for your weight and calibrate for your maximum heart rate. This way you will have a much more accurate calorie burn count. I have had a few and one that is great and not too expensive is the Timex T5G971. It wraps around your chest though not your arm. I'll try to add a link here. I paid about $50, but you may be able to find it cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1267724747&sr=8-1
  • rlberg55
    rlberg55 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the polar F4 and I really like it. If you got the F6 or F7 it would be fancier, but much more expensive.
    You can often find the older F4 model online for $40-50.
    There are lots of brands, just be sure that the one you get has the option of calorie counting... you can get HR monitors for $20 at a sporting goods store but tell only the HR, nothing else.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I just got an Oregon Scientific.. It has a chest belt that wirelessly send the heart rate to the digital watch.. It's pritty cool. I really like it , but I'm still trying to figure out the calorie function on it. :tongue: Get an HRM tho.. It's really nice having one!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    definately invest in a HRM! I have one that wraps around the chest. You would think that it's uncomfortable but I can hardly tell that it's there when I'm doing my workout! It feel like a part of me! You should really do your research and find the one that best suits you, everyone is different. I have one by bowflex and I love it! You can also find some great deals. Check out your local sporting goods store they may be having a sale. I got mine at 60% off at a Big 5 Sporting Goods store!

Best of luck!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Polar is your best bet. I have the Polar FT60. I would go to Polar's website, check out the specifications for their models, figure out how much you want to spend and what features you are looking for.
  • betterhealth2010
    Options
    Those built in ones are usually way off. The best thing you can do is get a decent heart rate monitor. Get one that you can customize for your weight and calibrate for your maximum heart rate. This way you will have a much more accurate calorie burn count. I have had a few and one that is great and not too expensive is the Timex T5G971. It wraps around your chest though not your arm. I'll try to add a link here. I paid about $50, but you may be able to find it cheaper.

How does the strap around the chest work? Does it send a wireless signal to the watch or something?
  • red5
    red5 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I bought one yesterday at the PX and they only had one to pick from. It is from sportsline and it monitors everything all for the low price of $50. I am not sure about it already though! I was on my trainer for a lil over 70 mins and my elliptical told me I burned 811 calories and my monitor told me I burned 1200. I just feel like that is to many. I don't know because I have been going by my elliptical for so long. I am very confused!:tongue: