Encouraging yourself

Options
Talking to myself helps me stay on track...MOST of the time. Sometimes I am nice to myself, but usually I am tough:

"Emma, do you WANT to have a chubby belly forever?"
"Emma, do you WANT to look good naked?"
"Oh, that's okay. Go ahead and stop. It's not like you want a flat tummy or anything."
"If you stop running now, your legs are going to touch when you walk."
OR
"Emma, you are awesome and you can do this."
"HEY! This workout only starts when you want to stop."

And then I look at all the cute clothes I can't fit into because my as$ is so big.

And then when I look at food that looks delicious like brownies and cupcakes, I'll think about the people who made them and how they probably didn't wash their hands when they were done in the bathroom.

What do you say to yourself to get motivated?

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I take my shirt off, walk up to a mirror and slap my torso. The ensuing ripple is my mental fuel. I won't be happy until I can hit myself and nothing moves. Every time I need a good kick I just do that.
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I tend to make my self- talk more positive instead of berating myself. I tell myself, You are STRONG. You can do this! You have accomplished so much! You feel and look amazing! You have tons of energy!
    Even when I am not feeling these things, I just "fake it until I make it" by telling them to myself over and over. It actually shifts my energy to a really good place!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I take my shirt off, walk up to a mirror and slap my torso. The ensuing ripple is my mental fuel. I won't be happy until I can hit myself and nothing moves. Every time I need a good kick I just do that.

Ha, that's awesome!
  • Em__143
    Em__143 Posts: 22
    Options

Good idea!
  • Em__143
    Options
    I tend to make my self- talk more positive instead of berating myself. I tell myself, You are STRONG. You can do this! You have accomplished so much! You feel and look amazing! You have tons of energy!
    Even when I am not feeling these things, I just "fake it until I make it" by telling them to myself over and over. It actually shifts my energy to a really good place!

I do this sometimes, but I feel tough love on myself is more successful.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    Emm, try some more positive messages, those are kinda sad....

Like, "Look at how far you've come!" "Wow, you've learned a LOT about what to eat!" "Emm, you are so good at _ _ _ _ _"

I don't do well with negative self talk. The only things you really believe are what you hear in your own head.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Man, I'd get in so much trouble if I did that every time I need a good kick! :laugh:
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I tell myself...

"It's not that you don't deserve that brownie; it's just that you deserve to be skinny so much more."

"Why punish your body by eating all that greasy crap? If you skip it you'll feel better, look better, and be better."

"You could skip your run today if you want...But you're not going to, because you've earned a little time for yourself."
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • Em__143
    Options
    Emm, try some more positive messages, those are kinda sad....

Like, "Look at how far you've come!" "Wow, you've learned a LOT about what to eat!" "Emm, you are so good at _ _ _ _ _"

I don't do well with negative self talk. The only things you really believe are what you hear in your own head.

They're not sad, they help me! If I say nice things, the next thing I'll be saying is: "it's okay, Emma. go ahead and skip this run today." or "look how far you've come. go ahead and eat that pizza."
  • Em__143
    Options
    I tell myself...

"It's not that you don't deserve that brownie; it's just that you deserve to be skinny so much more."

"Why punish your body by eating all that greasy crap? If you skip it you'll feel better, look better, and be better."

"You could skip your run today if you want...But you're not going to, because you've earned a little time for yourself."

I like that first one. I DO deserve to be skinny. (:
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Simple, SeXy women! Enough said! We all know why we workout! Its to impresses others and get them LOOKS! HAHA everything else like health and feeling better about yourself just comes along with it! ;)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I get mean when I'm working out and am becoming tired.

"Get your fat *kitten* moving! Harder! faster! you can feel that belly flopping do those mountain climbers faster!"

I'm "nice" to myself when I'm not working out, but tapping into that vicious/angry side of myself really revs up the power of my workouts.

I think that's why I love kickboxing so much. Unreleased anger gets kicked/punched out!
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think lately I have been talking negative to myself and that is probably what has caused me to mess up lately. When I was losing before I would use more poitive talk...like you can do this, and look how far you have come. Good work keep it up. I am trying to get back to that. I do much better in other things when I get positive feed from others...so it makes sense that positive feed from myself would work better too. :drinker:
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Simple, SeXy women! Enough said! We all know why we workout! Its to impresses others and get them LOOKS! HAHA everything else like health and feeling better about yourself just comes along with it! ;)
    That's good...:blushing:
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I used to be very negative trying to motivate myself and it did quite the opposite for me. Instead I use positive motivation for myself, including how much stronger I've become, how far I have come, my soaring energy levels, my healthier skin and hair, anything positive that I have noticed I constantly remind myself.

Also, I am very visual, I have taken pictures of myself after a workout looking like a hot mess and when I'm feeling demotivated I look at them, and that for some reason gives me a kick in the butt to keep going, because if I worked my tail off that day, there is absolutely no excuse why I cannot do the same today. Comparison pictures from my heaviest weight to my current weigh also help me out a TON.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I am SOOOOO stealing the "they didn't wash their hands before making that treat" idea!! Maybe then I'll stay away from yummy treats!!!
  • Em__143
    Options
    I get mean when I'm working out and am becoming tired.

"Get your fat *kitten* moving! Harder! faster! you can feel that belly flopping do those mountain climbers faster!"

I'm "nice" to myself when I'm not working out, but tapping into that vicious/angry side of myself really revs up the power of my workouts.

I think that's why I love kickboxing so much. Unreleased anger gets kicked/punched out!

Exactly!! If I am nice to myself while I'm running, I wouldn't push myself.
  • Em__143
    Options
    I used to be very negative trying to motivate myself and it did quite the opposite for me. Instead I use positive motivation for myself, including how much stronger I've become, how far I have come, my soaring energy levels, my healthier skin and hair, anything positive that I have noticed I constantly remind myself.

Also, I am very visual, I have taken pictures of myself after a workout looking like a hot mess and when I'm feeling demotivated I look at them, and that for some reason gives me a kick in the butt to keep going, because if I worked my tail off that day, there is absolutely no excuse why I cannot do the same today. Comparison pictures from my heaviest weight to my current weigh also help me out a TON.

Taking pictres after a workout is a good idea. Maybe that will help me remember how awesome I feel after I have a really awesome workout day. (: Thanks!