Reading Wheat Belly!

Options
I am reading the book Wheat Belly by William Davis. I am going to use myfitnesspal to track my calories and activity, but I am going to do a little experiment...I am going to eliminate WHEAT from my diet for ONE MONTH to see what happens. I can still have rice and some other gluten-free grains, and lots of veggies and some fruit. I think this is going to be way better than Atkins, because I should NOT get Atkins flu symptoms! Anybody want to try it with me?

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I just started reading it. Haven't made any conclusions yet, but it sounds like something I may try.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I will try it. I have to be honest though, I don't eat a LOT of wheat, just occasional bread here and there.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I am reading it as well and have not eaten gluten since last week, with only one slip up - ate a piece of pizza on Sunday without thinking about it! The reading is fascinating, and I feel great. Still keeping an open mind, but so far, so good!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Congrats. It's how I eat 100% of the time now and feel better tha ever. Don't forget to watch labels for wheat in things you don't associate as bread or pasta, i.e. soups, sauces, seasonings.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if a month is enough time to notice a difference. My understanding is that it ususally takes 8-12 weeks to notices a difference no matter what dietary changes you are making. Good luck.
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am going to do this as well. I am curious too!
  • flyingbabs
    Options
    I had weight loss starting after only a day of cutting out wheat. I think to notice certain changes it can take weeks, but some are pretty much immediate.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I went gluten free for 3 months, and noticed absolutely 0 difference. If you are of European descent, you have about a 40% chance of having any measure of gluten sensitivity, and around a 10% chance of having enough to cause noticeable issues. If you are of a non-European ethnicity, the odds of gluten sensitivity are extremely low.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I've never read the book so I can't comment on that but I did want to say if you're going gluten free it's in a whole lot more than just bread products! We're gluten free because a couple of us are intolerant to it (I feel like garbage when I eat gluten). We've had to learn to read labels very carefully as gluten is in things you would never suspect. There are wheat products used as stabilizers and fillers in many foods. You have to look for terms other than wheat too. You can still eat very well (or very bad for you stuff!) while gluten free but you do have to pay attention because they sneak it into every thing! Rice Krispies you would think would be GF but for some reason they put malt in there (made from Barley which has gluten) so you have to search out the GF Rice Krispies. At least most places charge the same price for those.
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am doing the no-wheat thing too, having just finished the book. Interesting read. His patients saw dramatic weight loss from the change.

I used to be a big sandwich guy (toast in the morning, Subway at lunch) so I am weaninig myself down. Cold turkey is hard. The last few days I have had under 90g of carbs from all sources. If I have 1/2 an english muffin in the morning, I avoid wheat for the rest of the day. I am learning to make bread-free lunches. A nice leftover stirfry comes to mind.

It's certainly doable, I even have a few recipes for GF pizza recipes that I want to try.
  • shmotzy
    shmotzy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I AM going to eat rice, however, and I will probably add oats back into my diet in time. i am looking for bread and other recipes using almond and coconut flour for baking. I am going to watch my sugar intake as well.
  • GroveGirl1905
    Options
    I read WB about a year ago and went gluten-free. I lost about 10lbs just doing that but it took several weeks before I noticed it. For me, I found I did better when I went 'cold turkey'. In my mind if I know that wheat is just something I don't eat it's easier to find alternatives. Good luck!