Full time working mom & wife with 100 pounds to lose...

Options
Hi everyone, my name is Tori and I am 28 years old. I currently weigh more than I ever have in my entire life --- I am 5'7" and 245 pounds. My doctor recently offered me diet pills but I declined and am determined to show my kids that although weight loss is a tough battle, it can be done with hard work and determination. I work for a state agency and am an administrative Specilaist among other things. This means that I spend 8+ hours a day sitting down in front of my computer. I am looking to give and get support from other people in a similar situation. Its so hard to work out and eat right when you are in a sedintary position for the majority of the day. But I am determined to shed the weight and learn how to be a more active and healthy person!

Replies

• sjwilliams706
    Options
    Friend Request Sent!!!:happy:
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    FRIEND REQUEST SENT after replying!!

I understand COMPLETELY!!! I try to get the majority of my workouts in before anyone is up in the morning. It is rough to get up between 430-500 but, the results are worth it. If i dont get up in time, I tell my husband I HAVE to get it in during the evening but, it doesnt always happen.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Sending friend request. You can do this!
  • rsethridge
    rsethridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Plenty of support here! I am also a full time working mom with 2 boys (9 and 4) and I have 40 pounds to lose. Friend request sent :)

You can do it!!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mom of two kids, and I struggle...must be twice as hard with four. I also get up early to get my exercise in, and sometimes try to fit in a walk at lunch. I do sometimes wish I didn't have a desk job, but short of a career change, much of my day will continue to be spent on my butt.

I'm sending a friend request :)...I think if we're focused on long term (not quick weight loss) it's a doable feat :)!
  • brandy2060
    brandy2060 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Totally in the same boat...full time wife, mother of two who are involved in EVERYTHING. I work a desk job as well and spend every extra second of my life at sporting / school events and cooking/cleaning. I have no "me" time, nor do I feel like exercising when I do get a moment to just relax. Maybe we can encourage each other! :)
  • CBaumgardner7
    CBaumgardner7 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I am a working mom of 5 and need to get back on track. It's hard to try and get up early but it's also a struggle to exercise late at night. Friend request sent. :)
  • DoBetterDrea
    DoBetterDrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request! :)

You've got this. The fact is, you've already taken a step in the right direction by joining MFP. Now, you've got the keep it going. Diet changes and activity changes are next and I am confident you can do this!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Totally sedentary job here too. I've lost 25 pounds since September 1st by going raw [8 weeks]. I go to Curves 2 or 3 times a week. My fav sites are: crazysexydiet.com, nouveauraw.com and alkalinesisters.com.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • IamNhappy
    IamNhappy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I too battle with the same issue working in the hospital on my butt all day. Its so easy to get off track, but remember your biggest enemy is YOU! Time to throw away the old habits and bring in the new that will be transforming our lives!
  • toridehaven
    Options
    Sounds very familiar! Thanks and I would be happy to offer support to you as well!
  • toridehaven
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    you can do it!

I have sent a request, would love to offer support and encouragement to your journey!
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yup, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week stuck in front of a computer (then with an hour commute each way to /from work...) Mum of 1 and Husband and two doggies! Not a lot of time to fit exercise in...but I try to get up most mornings and run or do a video or something! I've lost 25lbs and only have about 5 or so left to get to my goal, this is completely acheivable. Good for you for wanting to do this the healthy way. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my name is Tori and I am 28 years old. I currently weigh more than I ever have in my entire life --- I am 5'7" and 245 pounds. My doctor recently offered me diet pills but I declined and am determined to show my kids that although weight loss is a tough battle, it can be done with hard work and determination. I work for a state agency and am an administrative Specilaist among other things. This means that I spend 8+ hours a day sitting down in front of my computer. I am looking to give and get support from other people in a similar situation. Its so hard to work out and eat right when you are in a sedintary position for the majority of the day. But I am determined to shed the weight and learn how to be a more active and healthy person!

Hi Tori,

You can do this! You are right, it's hard, it requires determination, it requires constant focus, and it can be done regardless of your circumstance. I know lots of busy moms, busy others, busy people, with stress, etc, manage to do this. It requires a lot of patience. We all have 24 hours in a day, regardless of our circumstances, our choices, and life is not fair and it doesn't matter, we can overcome anything if we choose to.

There is no mystery to weight loss, everyone thinks something is wrong, their metabolism is broken, they have low thyroid, they have menopause or whatever issue, they are as unique as a snowflake, whatever. I thought a lot of these things once too but once the doctor helped resolve the health issues for me I learned there is still no magic pill. Most people eat more than they need to and are not at good at estimating calories as they think they are. Most people have a lower BMR than they think they do. The only way to know for sure is to go to a lab and have it tested. It doesn't seem fair to have to eat less and feel a little hunger. It's hard to face the truth of it, very hard. It's not fun. It's drudgery at times. But if you learn to enjoy your smaller amounts of food (necessary to lose weight, since the reason we got fat in the first place was eating too much whether we knew it or not), and rejoice in your victories it can be done.

All I can do is share what worked for me. I achieved my goal at age 50 after beating my head against the wall for 15 years. Yeah anyone can do it, but I can tell you that you are up against a lot when you are older and I believe females have some unique issue to face with hormones and such. The sooner you can get a handle on it the better. DO NOT GIVE UP. As I got older and the weight piled on (and I didn't feel I was eating too much!) everyone kept telling me to give up, this is what happens when you get older. I'm small, and I didn't realize how small I was until I lost the weight. Everyone said I had big bones. I looked hefty because I worked out. Once I lost the weight I realized how small I really was and that small people don't need to eat as much as big people. HINT: If you are short you are probably small.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

To say eat more is wrong.

To say eat less is wrong.

To find the exact calories needed for YOU to be in a healthy sustainable calorie deficit is the right answer. Wait, if you need to adjust by 100 do it, wait, adjust, wait, adjust, wait. The tortoise wins this race.

All that matters is calories. A healthy balanced diet within a calorie budget for a deficit that is right for YOU is all that matters for weight loss. Don't make it complicated.

Also people play mental accounting games with calories just like with finances. Make steps to make sure you are making accurate measurements. Packaged foods can have MORE than they say but not less (they get in trouble if less so they would rather error with MORE).

If you typically intake sodium at a certain rate your body adjusts, but if you make a sudden change then you will see a spike.

Exercise is for making your lean body mass pretty (especially lifting weights) for when the fat is gone. Losing fat with no muscle is ugly and cardio alone will not make you pretty. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

It really is about calories. I tell people this all the time and they say "Well if calories are all that matter why do you eat so clean???!!" Well, because it makes me feel better, sleep better, and perform better at my sports.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

Bobbie
  • Kamille2007
    Options
    Friend request sent! I am in the same boat FT working mom, sit at a desk all day, go to school three nights a week, two small children... but I am determined! I have lost 23 lbs since I started my journey on Sept 1st this year, we can do it!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Friend request sent!
  • crhorse
    Options
    I hear you! You can do it!

I be glad to share what I been doing. I started in June and it is working for me. But everyone is different! The start is just realizing that food is not the reward in live. You are!

Have a great week and praying for your success!

:smile:
  • eringarc
    eringarc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90 lbs in 4 years and recently really stepped it up and lost 43 lbs in the last 6 months! I work in an office too and it is tough. Trying not to snack, not to go out for lunch, and not to grab something on the way home. I drink a ton of water. Bring healthy choices like apple wedges, and almonds, have cut out ALL processes sugar, and when I need a sweet I chew sugar free gum or have fruit. I love love love the new frozen greek yogurt from Healthy choice. It is divine! I eat tons of protein and low glycemic index foods like nuts and berries and veggies. Hardly any carbs and it has proven to be a great combination. My body is "insulin resistant" and I just started gaining weight for no reason....10 years worth of it. I went up to a size 28! On a 5' 1" frame that was ridiculous. My fitness pal really helps me keep a tab on everything. I love it! I started using it in July and I have done so much better since then! I put on a pair of size 16 jeans in the "regular" section of the store and bought a "sexy" dress yesterday!!!!
  • Wilhelmina07
    Options
    You are not alone. You can do it. Friend request sent! :)