Coconut water

Options
I've read that coconut water is full of vitamins and minerals and can help you lose weight. I've also read that this is just a hype and it's not as good for you as some claim it is. Anyone else know anything about the health benefits of coconut water?

Replies

• julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it to lose weight, but I have found d/t it's high potassium it can help me offset a high sodium day, so therefore, I feel leaner and less bloated if I overdo it.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    It's hype, especially the helping to lose weight part. But I like it and drink occaisionally. I just find it to be expensive.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it to lose weight, but I have found d/t it's high potassium it can help me offset a high sodium day, so therefore, I feel leaner and less bloated if I overdo it.

I agree with this. I'm addicted to vita coco coconut water with pineapple....it's so good but expensive, so I only buy them once in a while
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Coconut water is extremely alkalizing, which is always a good thing. Totally good for you. Drink it plain, add it to green smoothies and recipes. Your body will love you for it.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    I don't know about medical benefits but after I work out in the summer, I ask my boyfriend to break a coconut open for me and I feel more refreshed having it than the same amount of water. Store bought is nice too, if you don't live in a place where they grow. For some reason, they quench my thirst better than water or any sports drink. Carby though, if you worry about that.
  • jaynell1217
    jaynell1217 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought some and I don't care what is in it, it is soooooo nasty!!! Drink WATER!!
  • icom100
    icom100 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Coconut is bad for your heart. Im assuming that coconut water is also bad for the heart. Goggle is your friend.
  • mandif3
    mandif3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I drink it everyday and my doctor agrees it's good for you. I buy Vita Coco at Costco. I have lost weight, and my blood pressure has dropped a decent amount too (which it's supposed to be good for).
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Probably the single the most expensive way possible to get electrolytes, outside of checking yourself into an ER and asking for an IV.

And IV bags probably taste better.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any food that, by itself, helps you to lose weight. But I DO love coconut water, both for the taste and carbohydrate/electrolyte/moisture replenishment after a long run or tough workout.
  • KLudlum
    Options
    It's excellent for margaritas! Coconut water, tequila, lime juice, and some agave nectar. MMM!!! Is it 5 o'clock yet?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any food that, by itself, helps you to lose weight. But I DO love coconut water, both for the taste and carbohydrate/electrolyte/moisture replenishment after a long run or tough workout.

Exactly! It's a great natural sports drink!
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I like the way it tastes...that's why I drink it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    as far as i know it has some fiber and some electrolytes.... but i can tell you one thing.... it tastes like CRAP. AWFUL. HORRIBLE. NOOOOOO

You could not pay me to drink this crap. I have tried many different brands too.... Yuck!!!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, don't drink calories. Water will do just fine.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I use it from time to time as part of a recover drink.
  • mandif3
    mandif3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of it too! Always have loved coconut! :smile:
  • DavidYates79
    DavidYates79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, the weight loss is probably just hype, but there are plenty of good things about it. It's loaded with electrolytes. To those that say it's expensive, and it is, I believe that you could take a 12oz can of coconut water and get something like 10 12oz bottles of gatorade worth of electrolytes. Doesn't seem as expensive, does it.?

Also, to the person that says google is your friend. Google can be your friend. However, most people who feel coconut is bad for you, believe it is bad because it is high in saturated fat. Regardless of whether you believe saturated fat is actually bad, coconut water does not contain any saturated fat. I say, enjoy it in moderation, just don't expect any miracles from it.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the weight part, but I do love coconut water. I get dehydrated easily and it seems to have the same impact as gatorade. I don't drink it all the time, but definitely on hot days when I'm climbing or working out. It helps relieve a hangover, too. ;) I drink Amy & Brian's solely because the aluminum can is more easily recyclable than any of the other brand's containers.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Coconut is bad for your heart. Im assuming that coconut water is also bad for the heart. Goggle is your friend.

So if Google is so great why do you end up still making assumptions? You do know what happens when we assume, right?

Coconut oil, and coconut meat are high in saturated fat. This fact alone does not mean that coconuts are bad for your heart. But we can put that question aside anyhow because coconut water is something else entirely and has no saturated fat or anything in it really that could be considered unhealthy for most people under normal circumstances.