Starting Over After Surgery

Options
Hi Everyone,

I had knee surgery about a month ago and I am finally trying to get back into the swing of things. I have about 4 more weeks of physical therapy before I will be released to work out on my own. Has anyone else experience this? I am so down about this because I had lost my first 10 pounds and I gained 6 back. I just need some encouragement to stay focused. I am also nervous because I have always had a hard time loosing weight without working out. My calorie intake is 1200 perday.

Any advice or encouraging words???!!!

Thanks
alaalex

Replies

• aoplat2020
    Options
    Working out is the key for sure. I have had three knee surgeries in the past three years. I have lots of troubles with my knees and it is the one thing that gets in my way most of the time. All I can say is that you have to stick with it. Don't be discouraged by weight flux and don't look at it as a diet or just getting in shape. Think of it as a life style and how you are going to maintain for the rest of your life. Things that are good for us are never easy but are the most rewarding in the end.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    My mum has rheumatoid arthritis in both her knees, and had surgery on one of them a few years ago. She found that cycling was really great for her knees, she could cycle miles but only walk a hundred meters! After a while her knee got stronger (the Docs said she would need a knee replacement but so far she's managed without, she thinks it's because of cycling)
    A friend of mine has a bad knee and she found cycling was really good for it too, and swimming. Check with your physio first, and ask them if there is any other exercises he would recommend :)
  • kittykinsqt
    kittykinsqt Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    working out is key...even if its just a 20 minute walk a day! i know i don't do my 20 minutes but i'm on my feet for 9 hours at work, and i find the days i don't feel like working out...i eat less carbs and more veggies. my weight loss is steady that way. maybe that will help :)
  • 1alaalex
    Options
    Thanks for your words of encouragement! I will be reporting back in a week!
  • 1alaalex
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I will ask therapist Friday. I have road the bike in the past but I feel weights burn fat faster. What's your opinion?
  • 1alaalex
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I will let you know how it goes next week.;)
  • LorryGuthrie
    LorryGuthrie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Remember to pace yourself. Three ten-minute walks are just as good one 30-minute walk. Your endurance will increase again. And as for gaining some of the weight back, just look at the big picture - you are still under overall. Best of luck to you! **hugs**
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I will ask therapist Friday. I have road the bike in the past but I feel weights burn fat faster. What's your opinion?

My friend is very into weight training, but I think when she got injured she put training on hold until her physio said she could go back to it. Cycling is a great way to strengthen your knee, and then when it gets strong enough you can get back into weights.

My mum also discovered a love for cycling, she used to cycle everywhere. The extra exercise made her skin better (much better than anti-aging cream!) and gave her more energy, as well as burning calories. We live in a very hilly area so it was a proper workout!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled to have major abdominal surgery in 2 weeks to hae a tumor removed...I'm seriously bummed about how this will affect my weght loss journey, since it'll be 4-6 weeks before I can even return to work...I can sympathize, but I don't really have any advice. Sorry!
  • 1alaalex
    Options
    Lori,

I just noticed your weight loss....that if AWESOME. Please share your story with me when you have time!!! How hard was it for you? Congratulations on your success!!

alaalex
  • 1alaalex
    Options
    Jennifer,

Thanks for responding to my post. Hey, take care of yourself!!!!! I plan to still be on this journey and waiting to hear from you once you are feeling better!!!! I may go through my bouts of depression but I know you should put your physical health first.

I will be praying for you!:wink:
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to work out your upper body while your knee recovers?

My gym had a rope pull machine that had a loop of rope on pulleys. It was like a treadmill for arms and could be used for either cardio or strength depending on the setting.

Also, many dumbbell lifts can be done while seated.

Good luck! :)