Am I in starvation mode?

Options
My cal intake is 1400, and I work out, eat healthy, drink all my water, and am always in my calorie budget. Its been about 2 1/2 months and I haven't lost anything. Should I try increasing my calories? I cant think of anything else that is wrong. And the worst part is I am getting discouraged.

Thanks guys!
I really appreciate it

-Lindsey

ps. I measure and weigh everything. I neeeevverrrrr eyeball anything because I know that's a bad habit.
I'm 5'7,
Current weight:189
Goal weight: 165

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    My cal intake is 1400, and I work out, eat healthy, drink all my water, and am always in my calorie budget. Its been about 2 1/2 months and I haven't lost anything. Should I try increasing my calories? I cant think of anything else that is wrong. And the worst part is I am getting discouraged.

Thanks guys!
    I really appreciate it

-Lindsey

Age 22, height?, CW?, BMR?, TDEE, how much to lose? hard to say if you are or are not but if you're stuck then definitely something is up.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Are you correctly figuring serving sizes or are you estimating? I am on just over 1200 calories and still losing in spite of still being over 300 pounds...
  • bragaswag
    Options
    I dont think starvation mode exists...
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    No, you're not in starvation mode...everyone throws that term around on here and it's bull. If you're not losing, I would down your calories. I eat 1200 a day, and that's been working for me. Chances are, if you're not losing after a consistent amount of time on a set amount of calories, you're probably eating too much.
  • ssalmfp
    ssalmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring everything you eat accurately? I mean, with a scale? Or are you just estimating? Now, I don't know about you, but estimating portions is pretty much what got me here in the first place. If you're not using a food scale and measuring cups, you should definitely start. The most likely explanation is that you are actually eating more calories than you're thinking. You could also try switching to a paleo/keto/low-carb diet and see if that works for you.
  • jekissa729
    Options
    I would decrease your calories. I'm 5'5" and am given 1310 calories to start and am very active.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You might try tracking your sodium since it can make you retain water.

Are you near the recommended weight for a person of your height and bone structure? Weight loss goes very slowly when you're close to the weight you should be.

Another thought, are you weighing and measuring very carefully? Extra licks, bites, swallows, or nibbles? Eyeballing portions and having "just one little nibble" can really add up to too many extra calories over a week.

If all of the above is as it should be, just keep going. It can take a body awhile to adjust to new eating habits. For the first couple of months, I had a major problem with elimination. FINALLY seem to have overcome that, accompanied by a drop in numbers on the scales.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Another tidbit of advice... Eat more food, but less calories... Increase the fiber content of your food... More whole grains, more fruits, and more vegetables for your calories... You will feel fuller with less calories and get more vitamins and minerals.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode does exist, but is applicable in rather extreme circumstances and for people with very low body fat %. I agree that it is being thrown around very flippantly and sometimes used as a convenient go-to excuse for not losing weight.

You have a lot of good advice on this thread. Weigh and record everything religiously and drink more water than the recommended 8 cups. Be also careful not to overestimate your calorie burn.

If that doesn't work, go back to the drawing board and see whether your calorie calculations are correct. Do you know your REAL BMR and consequently your TDEE? They may be well lower than what the internet calculators suggest.

Don't give up!!! Even without losing weight, however frustrating, you are changing your lifestyle towards a healthier one and that is not to be sniffed at.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    5'3 106 pounds and still losing on 1300-1400, why not up your calories to give it a try?