Halloween - a trick or a treat?

Options
So, today is Halloween - the largest candy day next to Valentines. My question - is today an opportunity for you to stick with your diet commitment? Or is it just another excuse to cheat?

I have about 600 pieces of candy sitting in a big pot at home. I won't be touching it - except to give it away. (Doing my part for the childhood obesity epidemic.) Someone brought kolaches in to work. Someone else brought home made blueberry cupcakes - I won't be eating those either.

i usually have a few drinks while I pass out the candy - I'm skipping that part of the ritual this year.

It's easy to diet when there's no temptation around - so much more satisfying when temptation is everywhere.

What will you be doing today?

Replies

• kandijo0306
    kandijo0306 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as a cheat at all. If you budget a few calories for a small candy bar (or candy of your preference) then there shouldn't be an issue. Moderation is the key!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I will be sticking to my commitment. Because for me, this is about more than calories. It is about putting the healthiest thing that I possibly can into my body, and being healthy as possible for as long as I can! I am not done living yet! My kids have been to a couple of Halloween events already, and there is candy in our house .But I have not eaten any of it, nor have I been tempted to. Far cry from last year! I will still go trick or treating with them, and love it. But no candy for me!
  • babymamahowell
    Options
    I'm trying to stick with moderation, I've seen good progress so far this week and don't want to piss it away
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I will be eating 3-4 mini pieces of candy, and then stopping. The stopping part is a big deal for me, but I am much more in control now. There is nothing wrong with fitting in a few treats. Of course, if having one is all it will take to get someone to eat the whole bag, you should avoid it.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i will try and not have any of the candy but i do plan on having 1 glass of red wine instead of 2 or 3. :) i'm good as long as i don't eat any of the candy - i have a hard time stopping but have amazing willpower as long as i don't eat any of it.
  • woodsk67
    Options
    i Had one starburst and I am done.. Need to treat it like every other day.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    i will try and not have any of the candy but i do plan on having 1 glass of red wine instead of 2 or 3. :) i'm good as long as i don't eat any of the candy - i have a hard time stopping but have amazing willpower as long as i don't eat any of it.

This method has worked best for me also!
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I dont plan on eating the loads of candies. I saw another post on this site that I loved...the poster stated that candy is available 365 days a year so I have access to it anytime. I don't have to eat it just because it is Halloween.

I will be enjoying the ice cream sundae thing my group is doing at work today though, but I pre-logged my day and made room for it. I also did extra in my workout today. I am prepared.

I really don't have problems anymore with the candy cravings, that went away after about a month into my lifestyle change.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Here at work, we'll be doing a company sponsored BBQ lunch. There will be numerous choices for me to choose from including a wide variety of desserts. I'll select items that I think are the healthiest to eat. As for dessert, I'll probably have a small piece of something. Then again, if I'm full, I wont.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a day off today from counting calories. I had fudge and two reese's peanut butter cups this morning, decided I was satisfied with the whole candy thing, and I'll probably be eating my regular veggie-packed meals for lunch and supper. I might break out the candy again later tonight while I watch a movie, and if I do, that's alright. :)
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it cheating, you have to live. I indulge in treats sometimes and I have ice cream and cheeseburgers sometimes. For me its a lifestyle change not a "diet" .I eat really well most of the time and yes I have treats sometimes. I still lose weight. Just be smart about it.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it cheating, you have to live. I indulge in treats sometimes and I have ice cream and cheeseburgers sometimes. For me its a lifestyle change not a "diet" .I eat really well most of the time and yes I have treats sometimes. I still lose weight. Just be smart about it.

^^^^THIS. It's a lifestyle change. You can't stick to carrot and celery sticks forever. Moderation is key. 1 or 2 mini size chocolates aren't going to hurt me because I know that I can stop after 1 or 2. :happy:
  • kandijo0306
    kandijo0306 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Agree 100% : a lifestyle change! Life should include treats!
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't like using words like "cheat'" or "bad." It took me a year but I'm at my goal size now - and part of what makes it great is that I can take occasional days off to eat whatever I want. The difference is I also run several miles a day now, and "whatever I want" has changed a lot over the last 18 months. What I now consider a "treat" meal - not a cheat meal! - used to be a regular, every day way of life for me. If I stick to running 30-40 miles a week and tracking my calories 4-5 days a week, then I can relax the rules a little the rest of time time. Everything in moderation. I didn't lose 65 pounds overnight; I won't gain it back overnight, either. :-)
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's like everyday for me. Ate what I brought with me. I took the candy work provided and have it in my car for the kids (took it out there at lunch). Tonight after all is said and done if I have calories left to use I will have a treat (like I do every night) My favorite treat is..... honey nut cherrios with skim milk.. Now WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT since last year I probably ate a whole fun size BAG of milky ways by myself!!
  • pennyknipprath
    pennyknipprath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great Thread!

I was the person who kept a full candy bowl on my desk every Halloween. I would eat at least half, over the week. This year is the first time in nearly 12 years, I didn't have a candy bowl. Funny thing is they all know I'v changed my eating habits, but they keep coming into my office. I see them hoping I have a treat for them. Sorry suckers. Me treat is to not contribute to your fat buldge this year.

I saved probably 2000 caloroes from ending up on my hips.
    I saved easy $50.00 in cash for candy.

That's a win win!

We will pass out candy at home, but I will leave it for the kids.

If I have anything at all, I'll choose plain M & M's, because if you calculate the calories 3 1/2 each. You can slowly eat 10 little tidbits of love and only use 35 calories. If you stop to enjoy them one at a time its very fulfilling. If I open a candy bar, I find it more difficult to eat half. Once I open it, it's gone. M & M's are perfectly packaged to extend the joy slowly, in a controlled manner.

I'm also much more willing to share goodies these days instead of hoarding them all for myself.

Happy Halloween!
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I am not touching the candy bowl or any treats. This is a day to show my hardcore commitment! As for passing out candy...have the kiddos give you 5 jumping jacks!
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't like using words like "cheat'" or "bad." It took me a year but I'm at my goal size now - and part of what makes it great is that I can take occasional days off to eat whatever I want. The difference is I also run several miles a day now, and "whatever I want" has changed a lot over the last 18 months. What I now consider a "treat" meal - not a cheat meal! - used to be a regular, every day way of life for me. If I stick to running 30-40 miles a week and tracking my calories 4-5 days a week, then I can relax the rules a little the rest of time time. Everything in moderation. I didn't lose 65 pounds overnight; I won't gain it back overnight, either. :-)

Love this attitude! Awesome!
  • Klopford
    Klopford Posts: 129
    Options
    I'm likely going to spend all evening gaming, occasionally taking over door duty for my mom. I am going to be VERY careful with dinner (that'll be easy tonight... can't go out to eat if we're expected to stay home and hand out candy right?) and save enough calories in my budget for treats.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I exercise and eat healthy most of the time so on days like this I don't feel bad when I scarf down some full Twix bars, Halloween Donuts, 1 lb of gummy bears and whatever candy and sweets come my way. The reality is that I won't gain a pound since I won't eat like that again until...well, New Years. Yes, the scale will tell me the next day I gained a pound, but after getting back to my routine, it will be as though nothing happened. I think cheating yourself of things you love is ridiculous. However, you need to always try and consume within reason and portion control (except today, Easter and V-Day of course ;-) ). Have a happy Halloween everyone and hope you are dressing up in some fun costumes!