How to start C25K if you already are running?

Options
I decided to look into the C25K program and was interested in starting it. But I have already been in my own kind of running interval type training. I do a 4 mile block and run in spurts. Lately, I have been up to 11 minutes intervals with 1-2 minutes of walking in between.

If I wanted to start the C25K program would I start at week one? Or should I move ahead to a higher week?

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I started it not being able to run so I probably won't be much help but you could always try it for a day at week 1, see how you feel and if you need more, try the first one for week 2 the next day and see how you feel, then do week 3 if you need more, etc.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    C25k is really designed for non-runners. Why don't you find the week closest to your current routine and jump in? If not, why don't you just keep going at the pace you already are?
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I suggest you do the program from start to finish. It sounds like it may be really easy for you at the beginning, but take it for what it is. What is the point of wanting to complete a program if not from beginning to end?

Have fun with it! I LOVE IT!
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would skip ahead... I just started week 2 and its 90 minutes running 2 minutes walking. A friend is on week four and there are longer intervals but not evenly split. I am thinking around week 5 or 6???
  • beaglelover12
    Options
    You could use C25K to improve your time/pace.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'd start with week 5 or 6 and just finish it out.

it'll be a little easy but week 7 goes right into 25 minute runs....so... yeah :)
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    At your level you should check out the bridge to 10K program.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I kind of did the same thing. I started C25K being able to run a full mile without stopping. I actually started from the very beginning and was glad I did. I am up to running 40 minutes straight without stopping and just looked into the 5k-10k program to increase my length.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you can do 10 minutes straight now I'd jump in at week 5 or 6 and go from there but all it really does is build your time up slowly so you can work on that yourself. Just keep adding a few more minutes to your run sections and shave some off your walks.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I started at week 5 day 2 as I could run for 15 minutes but wanted to follow a program. Was able to progress on to B210K straight after.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing what your doing but work on trying to run a little farther (10% is a good gradual increase to avoid injury) every week. So if you're currently running 11 minutes, increase to 12 min 12 sec, the 13 min 18 seconds, then 14 minutes 24 seconds, then 15 minutes 30 seconds, etc. Once you've got the distance down then you can work on speed.

I tried doing C25K but it was too structured for me. I'd rather create my own challenges.
  • Julie7741
    Julie7741 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just started running again after a 2 month break (injured calf muscle). I spent that two months on my bicycle and on the elliptical. I didn't feel like I'd lost that much fitness, so I started at week 5. I think it was the 8 minute intervals. I feel fine. I think you'll find the beginning to be no challenge at all. What's the point in doing a workout if it isn't going to push you?