Umm...gross

Options
jennai
jennai Posts: 22 Member
Is it me, or does tilapia taste like...mud? I am trying to integrate more fish into my diet, and in my zeal, I bought BJ's-sized bag of frozen fillets. I tried lemon-pepper tilapia with panko crumbs. My husband and I had to eat it with tartar sauce to get it down - which sort of defeats the purpose of eating fish. Anyone have any good, saucy-type recipes for tilapia that can mask the muddy taste?

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Personally I find that a mild flavored fish like that is best if I buy it fresh, not frozen..the water that freezes into the fish just makes it taste nasty and gross.

I did a search on my most favoritist food site and if you look, there are quite a few great looking recipes to try. Good luck!

http://foodgawker.com/?s=tilapia&cat=0

(You're dog is super cute!)
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I made Tilapia for dinner tonight and baked it with a super easy sauce stuff. It was actually really good :o)

It is really, really easy.

1 sm can of diced tomatoes (any kind - fire roasted, no salt, etc. as long as it is low cal)
    1 sm can of sliced olives
    3 Tbsp of minced onion
    2 cloves of garlic, minced

Mix everything together in a bowl.

Season the fillets with salt and pepper
    Put 1 lb of Tialpia fillets in a small baking dish.
    Spoon about half of the tomato mixture over the top of the fillets
    Bake at 400 F for 20-30 minutes or until fish is white and flaky.

:o) I hope that you like it :o)

It was only about 107 calories per piece of fish too!!!!
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    definitely buy it fresh... it's much better than previously frozen...
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    Fresh is so much better than frozen. I can't stand frozen tilapia but when I buy it fresh and bake it with a little olive oil and Mrs. Dash it actually tastes really good.
  • MommyDaisy76
    MommyDaisy76 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am going to have to agree with everyone about buying fresh vs frozen. But, I think it may be a preference for the fish, Tilapia is one of my favorites, but not everyone likes it.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    It's funny - I'm not terrified of Tilapia, but I can't stomach salmon or tuna........I don't even mind the frozen (but that could be because I don't have a huge repetoire of how to prepare fresh fish)
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,178 Member
    Options
    I am always telling my family that I think tilapia tastes like dirt:sick: and they think I'm crazy! I googled it and, lo and behold, it is due to the diet (in farm raised) that causes the flesh to taste like dirt. We are not alone:laugh:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I always think it tastes must or moldy....I do not like it all!