Advice from people who take spinning?!?

Options
So I think I was only ever on a spinning bike once when I was like 16 and had no idea what it was all about. I know it's a great workout and burns tons of calories so I'm interested in it, but most of the gyms close enough don't have it and I don't have the time to go to the farther gyms now that I work 2 jobs and go to school full-time. I saw a commercial for this 1 night and was thinking of maybe trying it out since it's pretty cheap. Not sure though because it's been awhile since I've done it so I'm not sure if it looks like a good spin bike or not. Anyone who has experience please let me know if this site looks like it would be a good purchase.

http://www.spinningtv.com/

Replies

• JuDurand
    JuDurand Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi,

I've been doing spinning in a gym for the last 6 months and the bikes we use are made by that same company. We are using the pro version, but I can't tell what's different from the one shown on the website. Personally, I like spinning very much, it's been a revelation to me! Makes a great complete workout and it helps tone my body. The key is to last the whole workout!

Hope it helped you a bit...
  • lorivent1
    lorivent1 Posts: 16
    Options
    I took my first spinning class last Saturday... It was amazing! I would tell you to go for it!!! However, I recommend taking only half the class for the first few week or so. I did the whole hour and it took me 3 days for my thighs to stop hurting!!!!
  • jrr7
    jrr7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you looked into this, but they are advertising to "try it in your home" for $49.95, but the bike is actually $600. You can find quite a few similar bikes elsewhere (such as Amazon) with good reviews for $300-$400. If money is an issue, you may want to check some of these out before you go for one on an infomercial. in my experience most of the exercise equipment you find on informercials is not the greatest quality and is usually overpriced. Just a thought.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have been spinning for years. It really is a cardio workout more than a weight loss workout. If you can keep your heart rate down it would burn more fat. I find spinning helps my other workouts especailly running. It has built up my endurace. I suggest getting bike shoes, they make the difference. Also try different instructors, some are better than others. :) enjoy.

Spinning at home would not work for me, it is the other people in the class that modivate me more and the loud music, think the bike is a waste of money.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you looked into this, but they are advertising to "try it in your home" for $49.95, but the bike is actually $600. You can find quite a few similar bikes elsewhere (such as Amazon) with good reviews for $300-$400. If money is an issue, you may want to check some of these out before you go for one on an infomercial. in my experience most of the exercise equipment you find on informercials is not the greatest quality and is usually overpriced. Just a thought.

I second this. They are basically selling an old version of a spinning bike for double the market value and trying to mask that by throwing in all sorts of "extras".

If you really like spinning, getting a bike and some DVDs to use at home might be a good idea, but I would explore some other options before ordering from this website.
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    Thanks! I just want to make sure I get a good quality bike or a brand name that people have heard of before.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think that is the same brand of spinnig bike that we have at my Goodlife.
    I'm a recent spinning addict. It is such a fantastic work out. Hard but awesome. I've never sweat so much in an exercise class before! And you get such a high afterwards:laugh: