how to shake the "i need sweets" blues

Options
What would you do? I'm having a major craving for something sweet. This has been ongoing for over an hour now. I haven't given in, yet. I've tried:

Sipping on water
Chewing on ice
Watching tv
Reading a book
Looking in the mirror to see what I'm working for (I look fantastic today!)

I don't know what to do! Help me!

Ps, its wayyy too cold outside to walk, that was my first option

Replies

• Melbot1000
    Melbot1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You could keep doing all the things that you are doing, or you could just have something sweet. Just eat something that isn't too terrible for your body, and keep it inside your daily calorie intake. I always keep some treats in the house just in case I get a craving. Things like:

-Dark chocolate (over 70% coco is great, eat a couple square.)
    -Frozen yogurt. ( Chapman's makes a great one, with a bunch of different flavors.)
    -Bananas
    -Chocolate Milk
    -Heat up one cup of vanilla almond milk with a bag of chai tea, only 90 calories and super yummy.

It seems like the wrong thing to deny yourself, you might get in the 'I'm on a diet' state of mind which could eventually derail your progress.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I'm going through that today. I keep reminding myself that the chocolate will be there tomorrow (no need to gobble it up today). And I'm about to eat a bunch of salmon, which is very filling for me. Chocolate is less tempting on a full stomach.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    brush your teeth. The minty toothpaste taste usually takes away my quest for sweets.

That said, I think if you can afford the calories, go for something worthwhile- good quality dark chocolate. YUM!
  • kacyc1117
    Options
    ... now I'm on the fence. I have more than enough calories. Over 1000 even after breakfast and lunch. Maybe ill plug in dinner and see what I have to play with then. Thanks guys!
  • chew some sugarless gum,
  • Melbot1000
    Melbot1000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Maybe some funsized halloween candy? Its Halloween for Hello Kitty's sake!
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Maybe have something like a chocolate-flavored protein bar.
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could keep doing all the things that you are doing, or you could just have something sweet. Just eat something that isn't too terrible for your body, and keep it inside your daily calorie intake. I always keep some treats in the house just in case I get a craving. Things like:

-Dark chocolate (over 70% coco is great, eat a couple square.)

That's my strategy! Dark chocolate is so rich that sucking on a very small portion will satisfy a craving without making the weight loss process so mental.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I was doing soooo bad on the sweets, then I started having smoothies in the morning, and I have absolutely zero sweet tooth at all anymore.

My smoothies are a banana, handful of raspberries, and a dash of cranberry juice. Today, I also added a handful of blackberries. I drink that down, it's like about 8 oz of smoothie. After that, I just don't have sweet cravings at all. It's weird. But, I'm going to keep it up.

It only has about 200 cals and fills me up for breakfast too. It's great. Maybe try that.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Plan something sweet into your next meal?
    Like sweet potatoes with a little honey and a sprinkling of nuts; it's like dessert!
  • Broadzilla007
    Broadzilla007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd bundle up, walk to the donut store, have a donut, then walk home. Or Skinny latte: coffee, half cup almond milk, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, sprinkle of cinnamon/nutmeg, splenda to taste. About 20 calories.
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I shook the "I need sweets" blues by not eating sugar. Humans are physiologically trained to crave sugar when they taste something sweet. And it's not only that but as a country our diet is built around carbohydrates ever since the food pyramid with the huge 6-12 servings of carbohydrates/sugar a day, instead of how it SHOULD be of 6-12 servings of vegetables, and exercise a day. Knowing this you can start to see why so many adults and kids now are diabetic, we just can't have sugar and expect our insulin resistant bodies to know what to do with so much freaking sugar. So advice from a seminar, eat less than 60 grams of sugar for a while, EXERCISE. Did you know that exercise makes your sugar enter into muscle cells where the sugar is needed? It's a way for your insulin to be easier recognized by your body. You crave sugar BECAUSE you have too much insulin and it's free (it also attaches to estrogen which causes female ((male pattern)) baldness. Not only that, but it gives guys big guts. Good luck.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When I feel like this I just put in all my planned meals for the day so I know what I have left over and budget for a treat. I think of my calories like money, so if I have calories in the bank I can 'spend' some on a little treat.

I like a mini chocolate bar cut into tiny pieces, and let each piece melt on my tongue. Lasts ages so I savour it instead of gulping it down in two bites and thinking 'what else can I have?'

A mini mars bar or milky way frozen also lasts ages and feels like a treat.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Typically I eat a 40 calorie piece of dark chocolate (let it melt in my mouth to make it last). Dove promises are good.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    When I feel like this I just put in all my planned meals for the day so I know what I have left over and budget for a treat. I think of my calories like money, so if I have calories in the bank I can 'spend' some on a little treat.

I like a mini chocolate bar cut into tiny pieces, and let each piece melt on my tongue. Lasts ages so I savour it instead of gulping it down in two bites and thinking 'what else can I have?'

A mini mars bar or milky way frozen also lasts ages and feels like a treat.

The mini 3 musketeers has only 25 cal
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm a fool for sweets too! I always make sure I have some calories saved to satisfy my sweet tooth since I don't want to feel like I'm depriving myself of anything!

Just budget for a sweet treat! :) As long as it's within your daily goals, why not? ;)
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    Have a fruit. Baked apple with cinnamon on it. Banana with a little peanut butter. Chocolate protein bar. Small piece of dark chocolate.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    also.. if you want chocolate milk that does good... try 8oz. 0% (skim) milk and 1 packet of carnation instant breakfast - no sugar added! It's 140 cal's altogether, has 13g protein, 4g fiber and low sodium without the sugar! It cures the sweet tooth and gives back to your body :) almost (if not) as good as a protein shake! I like to drink this after my workouts since it's low cal and high protein!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If you can't walk out side you can walk inside. There are lots of walking videos on YouTube. I walk while I watch TV. All you need is a cushioned floor. There's almost nothing you can't do with a yoga mat and exercise bands.
    I can't keep sweet stuff in the house. If I want something I go get a small single pack of whatever.
    I got flavoured vitamin C tablets and let one of those dissolve in my mouth.
    If you deprive yourself you'll be back on here asking for help with bingeing.:cry:
    Good Luck.
  • prpljellybean
    prpljellybean Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am a sweets-a-holic lol so I always figure a sweet afternoon treat and a "dessert" into my calories. I am trying to progressively make these sweets healthier and more low cal so I have been getting things such as Greek yogurt with the fruit on the bottom (yummm), pudding cups, jello cups,(I put a tiny scoop of fat free cool whip on top), Kashi bars, fiber one bars or brownies. I hope to eventually get to the point where fruit will (for the most part) satisfy this sweets craving. Good luck! :happy: