Runners High

Options
When do you all seem to hit your "Runners High"? Also, do you think it has anything to do with your heart rate? I just went for a jog on my break and realized that it was more difficult running for me when my heart rate was 155 (85%) but much easier when it hit 169.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Multiple things are defined by runners high.

I don't get it every time or all that often really, but when I do its STRONG, like I'm on Nitrous Oxide or just took a monsterous bong hit of some really powerful weed. Music almost always kicks it in, Lose Yourself by Eminem and Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd are particularly effective triggers. It only lasts 30 seconds or so when I get it.

A lot of people refer to the feeling good endorphins from exercise as runners high. I see that as totally different from what I occasionally get.
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't get it everytime either nor do I really know how to trigger it.. But I want to agree with waldo, it usually when a song hits.. or I've gotten it when i'm approaching the finish of a race and I can see the time.. It's awesome!
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have only experienced the runner's high once. Jogging along and my vision became intensely clear. I mean I could see details at an extremely far distance, it seemed like a 1/2 mile or more. I could read license plates, see individual leaves on trees, etc. It was unbelievable, and a little scary...lol. Never happened again...
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Multiple things are defined by runners high.

I don't get it every time or all that often really, but when I do its STRONG, like I'm on Nitrous Oxide or just took a monsterous bong hit of some really powerful weed. Music almost always kicks it in, Lose Yourself by Eminem and Run Like Hell by Pink Floyd are particularly effective triggers. It only lasts 30 seconds or so when I get it.

A lot of people refer to the feeling good endorphins from exercise as runners high. I see that as totally different from what I occasionally get.

I usually get it on my longer runs. Music definitely triggers it. I'm such a run nerd-- I like to listen to movie themes (Tron, Star Wars, Matrix) when I run. Other times, I listen to DMX, eminem, AC/DC, Rob Zombie. Just depends on the mood.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I get my high on runs that are at least 3 miles long. The high lasts longer when I am having a great running day (but still over the 3 miles). I don't listen to music when I run, so that has no bearing on me.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Ironically I hit my first runner's high in 15 years today. My fat burn zone is 111-145. I was on my stationary bike and started spinning, I made it up to 20MPH and then I heard my HRM chirp, which it usually does when I fall below the zone. This time it was because I hit 146 and was OVER.
    The energy kicked in and the pain left my body and the rest of the ride was so easy. I had to make myself stop at 60 mins, because I felt like I could ride forever. Oh how I have missed this feeling. And no music was playing.

I remember years ago when I used to do the stairstepper in the gym (remember those?) The first 7 minutes were tough, but as soon as I made it past 7 minutes I could go on forever and never get tired.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Longer runs for me too. And also music. I can be struggling along and a certain song comes on and I know I've got it then. It's a pretty great feeling. I usually don't get that 'feeling' though until around mile 7 or 8, just when I think I'm gonna crash it will kick in and it's like everything is easier again.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    The first five minutes are usually close to hell, then I find my groove and I'm happy...as long as I have good music. Can't do anything very well without my tunes!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only get it with longer runs, when I'm well rested and not fatigued. I've been running for over 30 years and I don't think I experienced it much in the beginning. I can come without music although music makes you feel good and is motivating. I typically don't listen to music on the trail outside, I feel it's too important to have all my senses about me.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Every time I run. Doesn't matter how long or how far I've gone. I always, always get this RUSH when I'm done.

Not sure if it's 'technically' runners high but it's that or I accidentally ingested speed somewhere along the way.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ive gotten a 2nd wind... but not a runners high.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    When do you all seem to hit your "Runners High"? Also, do you think it has anything to do with your heart rate?
    I've never experienced any type of "high" while running but I do think that there is an endorphin release that alters your mood and lets you focus less on pain. The first mile is nearly always a tad bit of a struggle. I'm sore, tired and this morning it was a bit chilly out. After the first mile to half mile when my heart-rate gets up to around 160 I do start feeling better. Maybe there is something to that.

For me the real relaxed feeling part comes around the 3.5 mile mark on my typical 5 mile run. At that point I've reached the top of this hill, the sun is just about to come up in front of me, and I know it's all downhill or flat the rest of the way home. My legs usually start feeling better and I find I can increase my speed without feeling more drained. It's sort of a calming peaceful feeling like "Okay, I did the hard part, the rest is cake-walk". Today I actually ran past my stopping point and did another .25 mile (quarter mile) because I simply felt like doing more. The right song can help put you into this mood too.

I just went for a jog on my break and realized that it was more difficult running for me when my heart rate was 155 (85%) but much easier when it hit 169.

On easy runs I keep my heart rate around 165 and push it up to 175 when I'm working more on speed than distance.
  • atomicpoppy
    Options
    It's only happened to me once - on my longest run to date. I was doing what felt like an especially hard day on the Bridge to 10k program, and after my fourth mile was called out by Endomondo, I realized I'd had a reverse split. Every single mile had gotten quicker than the last, and my 4th mile was my fastest ever. A few seconds after that, the interval ended and I hit the cool-down walk. I didn't want to stop, and I felt like I could have run forever. I started laughing and couldn't stop, and felt a huge flood of endorphins or relief or joy or whatever you want to call it. I did slow down and walk, but it was just this intense feeling. I kept thinking, "Oh my god, a few months ago I couldn't run at all and I just ran 4 miles, and didn't want to stop." I felt like I could do anything.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I used to be a short distance runner in high school through about a year or so out of college. I got runner's high almost every time I ran. I also got it when I would just think about racing. I was a short sprinter, long and triple jumper.

Since then, I have become more of a distance runner (only up to half marathons and olympic triathlons right now). I did not get a runner's high until I started hitting higher mileage. However, I did not initially get a runner's high at the higher distances right away either. Once I started doing a lot more runs and logging a ton of miles each week, I then started getting the high on longer runs. I also get a similar feeling when spinning for 30 minutes or more at extreme settings (such as 30 minutes at 90+ RPM with resistance at 16-22). I got the feeling when I was road biking and I was going down a hill at 40 MPH...but I think that was more terror than anything ;-). I get the feeling on all of my long swims as well (3/4 mi and longer).
  • josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've run three full marathons (and dozens of half marathons) and in all my training and running I've experienced exactly 0 "runner's highs."

I did get dizzy once after running which felt pretty good. But I think it had to do with giving blood the week before.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Depends on how one defines it. In my mind, I got it twice, one after 20 mile run and one after 18.