Getting married, need tips on how to CUT and tone up!

Options
2»

Replies

• Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    4. Honeymoon tips: there are many books out there but just stay calm and you'll both get better at it.

BWAHAHAHA.
    This was brilliant. Almost made me drown while I was drinking water.

Good work, sir.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'3 and currently at 125 pounds. I had gotten down to my goal weight at my engagement in June at 119 but have slacked off since. I wouldn't mind getting back to that, however, I am needing help with toning up. I don't want to gain any muscle I just want to define my muscle that I already have and tone up. I have hear cardio builds muscle and I should weight train...is this true? If so what success have you had and what do you do to tone up? I have until June to look my best in my wedding dress and on my honeymoon, any tips would be great!

You are in a good healthy weight range right now. Cardio is good for you. I do it just as much as lifting but in my over 30 years of lifting and running (5k up to 50 miles and everything in between) is that cardio does not do near as much for your look as weight lifting.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
  • megcalvert
    megcalvert Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't forget clean eating. I don't mean get rid of carbs but really pay attention to the quality and quantity of what you are eating.

Thanks! Yes, I eat clean...just slacked the last few months but will be getting back to eating a lot healthier!
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian Michael's workouts :) 30DS, RI30, Yoga Meltdown.. etc, etc.. she does a great job at toning you up in a short amount of time.. just 20-30 minutes a day with a good diet and you should see results!
  • megcalvert
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'3 and currently at 125 pounds. I had gotten down to my goal weight at my engagement in June at 119 but have slacked off since. I wouldn't mind getting back to that, however, I am needing help with toning up. I don't want to gain any muscle I just want to define my muscle that I already have and tone up. I have hear cardio builds muscle and I should weight train...is this true? If so what success have you had and what do you do to tone up? I have until June to look my best in my wedding dress and on my honeymoon, any tips would be great!

You are in a good healthy weight range right now. Cardio is good for you. I do it just as much as lifting but in my over 30 years of lifting and running (5k up to 50 miles and everything in between) is that cardio does not do near as much for your look as weight lifting.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Wow, thank you so much! Your input is great! I will def start lifting!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

I think I may almost have this memorized.
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Don't forget clean eating. I don't mean get rid of carbs but really pay attention to the quality and quantity of what you are eating.

Yes, make sure you thoroughly rinse your food before consuming. Or just eat at a deficit, hit your macros, and enjoy your life.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on your upcoming wedding! You have plenty of time to develop a good workout routine and keep up the good diet.

I have found that mixing up my workouts really changes the appearance of my body (cuts the fat and lets my muscles show through). I do two ballet classes a week, I do Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 (circuit workouts with weights) twice a week, and I run twice a week. Sometimes instead of Jillian I'll do a P90X workout with weights. I've been doing this for a couple months now and have lost almost 10lbs and lots of inches, and am really happy when I look in the mirror...which is really the most important anyway :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

I totally do have it memorized.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Me too. I've seen all of the same pictures so many times I can't even get them out of my head anymore either.
  • megcalvert
    Options

Me too. I've seen all of the same pictures so many times I can't even get them out of my head anymore either.

Lol does she post a lot or something? I guess I am out of the loop!
  • nmn2
    nmn2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    and honeymoon any tips would be great!

You asked for them... I don't see why you are raging.

And I didn't even say anything explicit...

Come on now, I did think your comment was funny but you know that's not what she meant!
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    OP, please do as Californiagirl says and please do not do anything Jillian Michaels. Jillian got the body she has by doing what CG does. She just markets BS cardio DVD's because she knows people will buy them.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    OP...Caligirl is hit and miss, she is pretty copy and paste with her comments, and likes to push her brand of supplement what ever, that being said she IS spot on with the importance of weight lifting.

Also I agree Jillian got her body from weight lifting not these silly 10 pound dumbbell videos she puts out.