I have a bad time eating out. Anyone else like me?

Options

Replies

• SlimmingSarah2012
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...if I'm really strong during a drive-thru run with the kids I'll order myself a large diet coke and their happy meals and eat something when I get home or before I leave home. If its an average day though, I go ahead and order myself a mighty kids meal, 6 nuggets, kids size fries and apples and the kids get my extra toy to fight over. haha!

But, I'm not gonna lie, I do have really bad days when I get a grown up meal :( But, as long as I go to the gym and burn up those calories, its all good!

If you have a bad day, get over it, move on and forgive yourself. Every day is a new day :) Good luck!
  • babzog
    babzog Posts: 19
    Options
    When my kids say they want Rotten Ronny's, I take 'em to a proper restaurant, or perhaps Subway or a shawarma joint if in a hurry. I'm their PARENT, not their high school BFF and I alone (and my wife) make their nutrition decisions - while teaching them about what constitutes proper nutrition, what is fast/junk food, etc. I have NO issue nixing RR as a choice for stomach stuffing. 'Sides, the only good thing you can say about RR is that it's easy to chew. For fast burgers, Wendy's beats RR IMO, not that I've been there in a long time either. Point is, YOU, NOT your kids, choose what they eat when you eat out. Shouldn't be a problem.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nope. I do not find eating out hard.

Small choices go a long way.

If I do an appetizer or starter I do not do a dessert.

Skip the bread basket.

When you get home break the ingredient list down to the best of your ability. Stay away from anything fried. Skip the fancy drinks and stick to wine or light beer. Try to only eat out once per week. (or get takeout once per week).

I've always been a healthy weight so these tips work well for me. :)
  • keliana1
    keliana1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it sucks having to be the Mom. You want to make your kids happy, but you can't always give them what they want. As a parent, we have to "model the behavior" to set a good example for our kids. So if you want to do Mc'd, go and let them order their meals. If they cannot finish, then toss it or save it for later for them. For yourself, order a grilled chicken sandwich and scrape off or ask for no mayo. Or get a salad, but watch the dressing type. If you're using the mobile app, you can look up the number of calories before you order; or some of the menus now post the calorie counts. But you don't have to go to Mc'D. If they insist on chicken nuggets, buy the tyson ones at the store, microwave them and then go outside for a picnic or other fun setting. If you want to go out, you choose where they can go. If it's Subway (great healthy alternatives) then they can choose to want to go there or find something at home.

Good luck! And be kind to yourself as the boundaries you set today will make them and you happier tomorrow.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    P.S. I also try my hardest to *not* eat Factory Farmed meat. If you must do fast food do a small locally owned family place or do a Chipotle or Boloco.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    "mommy can we eat at mc Donald's?"

"No, kids. No we can't."
  • Onesnap
    Options
    "mommy can we eat at mc Donald's?"

"No, kids. No we can't."

Agreed.
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot. In different places including fast food. It might sound lame but I am going to say what everybody says - it's all about choices and the amount of food you eat. If I go to McDonald's I will order chicken snack wrap with grilled chicken (250 cal per wrap) you can have two of those or one and pick on your daughter's fries. I love Salad Works. They have awesome salads most under 500 with the dressing. My 12 years old son loves it too. BK has snack wraps as well. Chipotle or Pancheros have great tacos that are not high in calories. Pei Wei - yum, just have half the portion, they are pretty big too. Or have half of the burrito it will be 400 to 500 cal depending on what you put in there. And their burritos are really big so half is enough to fill you up. I eat at Bertucci's a lot. I ski the rolls and just have half of the portion or one slice of pizza and a salad. The best part - chain restaurants have their websites with the calories for each meal - so you can look it up and make your choice ahead of time. It takes time to get used to it but if you know how much you can eat in the restaurant - it is easier to stop. And you can enjoy a meal out with your family without feeling deprived.
  • KelleyThatsMe
    Options
    I eat out as much as I can I love it, my boyfriend nags me " you know it isn't good for you blah blah blah." I think it makes me want it more. I have tried several ways to stop. I have tried buying a book every time I ate at home, that got exspensive. I tried counting the calories and the truth is I am lazy to me in my mind it's so much easier to get in the car drive to McDonald's then to pull out a frying pan. I have been trying to say NO, but somthing hapens with my busy schedule and we have to eat out. I know I can make healthy choices, but I like a good cheeseburger and fries and saying no to temptation is hard. I don't understand I have been a non smoker for 3 years without one relapse, but a cheeseburger kicks my *kitten*. I don't have kids, but (this is going to sound werid) i do have a Rat terrier. I want to give her everything she gives me the eyes and I can't help but want to give it to her. Maybe you could explain to your girls how bad fast food is, or maybe even making a game out of going to healthy places. For instance if you go to a seafood place you could talk like pirates the whole time your there. If they want chicken nuggets make them at home you can go online and find really good recipies that are kid friendly. and if it's all about the toy you can make them a meal like a kids meal at home go to a dollar store and pick up some toys that they don't know about and sereve it all in a bag with their mystery toy. LOL if all else fails bribe them I'm joking of course. I hope my advice works if you take.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I like to have lunch out, and here in England we have plenty of nice little cafés. My parents have been staying the past few days so we've been out for lunch with my kids (age 3 and 1). One day I had a chicken, bacon and avocado salad, with the dressing on the side, another day we went to an Italian place and I had veggie minestrone soup, and yesterday I had a chicken, bacon and avocado wrap with salad. We don't get massive portions over here like you do in the US either.

My children have never been to Mcdonalds or anywhere like that. My husband took our 3 year old to KFC once, and I was really angry with him! He likes to go to Costa, which is a bit like Starbucks, but with better coffee. I buy him a babycino, and he loves sitting there drinking it, with his colouring book out. My little treat to myself is a skinny vanilla latte. I love that he says ' I want to go to Costa mummy'.

I think eating out is fine so long as you make good choices. And I think kids will ask to go to places like Mcdo because they've been taught that it's some kind of treat.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Obviously you do better at home but trying to lose weight does not mean you have to make the kids part of it. McDs is not the best for them but you can't deny them one of the special treats of childhood once in a while. They can have the occasional treat and you have the grilled chicken or garden salad. When I go to a restaurant, I simply stay away from the worst stuff on the menu. If it is a good place they will have somethings that are better than others for you, even McDonald's. Have fun with your kids, enjoy their giggles when you tell them where they are going and limit only yourself.

29885525.png

Ummm since when does McD have to be "one of the special treats of childhoood?" I can think of much tastier, possibly more high calorie but at least non artificial, treats that can be part of your childs 'childhood' memories. We don't have to buy into the fast food culture as a sold state and a 'given' in any family and child's life.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

I think eating out is fine so long as you make good choices. And I think kids will ask to go to places like Mcdo because they've been taught that it's some kind of treat.

Exactly what i was just saying...if it's not what we'd treat ourselves with as adults why teach our kids to go down that path?
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We have a policy in my house. If it has a drive-thru, it is not going to happen. I haven't eaten food from a building with a drive-thru since high school (I'm 33!). When we go out to eat, it is at a sit down restaurant where I at least have the option of ordering something remotely healthy. Fast Food is the Devil, don't even think otherwise.

This sounds a bit miserable. You are never going to let your kids taste McDoanld's ever?
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just start MFP and this is my 4th day and I know when I have the money, the first thing my kids are gonna ask me is "mommy can we eat at mc Donald's?" talk about tempting right. Do any of y'all eat out too? I use to eat out almost everyday or every other day, but I noticed when I ate at home even home cooked meals before joining MFP that I had lost 13 lbs so I must have been doing something right by just eating at home. Hmmm. Anyone else eat out and if so what do you eat that is more healthier? For example: subway veggie delite is more healthier than mc Donald's anyway but of course I know my girls are gonna say "mommy I want chicken nuggets from mc Donald's!" now when they went to mc donalds in the past (they haven't been in while) they would always say "mommy do you want a chicken nugget from my happy meal? I'm full, I can't eat it all" my girls are slender girls, but one reason why I joined MFP was to set better eating examples for them. I thought about when I have the money offering them subway, but of course, im prepared to hear them say "I don't like subway!" when they use to always love subway but got so use to eating at mc d in the past all the time. Any advice on where to eat, what to eat when I'm out and about and going to the stores with them? How can I make it an exciting experience for all of us? Where would be a good place to take them to eat or what to eat from mc d more healthier because I heard the salads are very high calories too and I don't want to take them to subway all the time but I also don't want to eat mc d or unhealthy stuff from there and then they follow my lead and become overweight? Advice for the mom always on the go and having car rides for sometimes hours at a time? Thanks!!!

That's why I don't eat out!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    We have a policy in my house. If it has a drive-thru, it is not going to happen. I haven't eaten food from a building with a drive-thru since high school (I'm 33!). When we go out to eat, it is at a sit down restaurant where I at least have the option of ordering something remotely healthy. Fast Food is the Devil, don't even think otherwise.

This sounds a bit miserable. You are never going to let your kids taste McDoanld's ever?

Who on earth would anyone want their kids to taste McDonald's? I sometimes think it is quite selfish of parents to introduce their children to that sort of 'food'. It is the most unfulling rubbish I have had the misfortune to eat.
    It is so much nicer to have a properly cooked meal at a restaurant, where there is a decent variety and generally less artificiality.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Who on earth would anyone want their kids to taste McDonald's? I sometimes think it is quite selfish of parents to introduce their children to that sort of 'food'. It is the most unfulling rubbish I have had the misfortune to eat.
    It is so much nicer to have a properly cooked meal at a restaurant, where there is a decent variety and generally less artificiality.

Exactly this. What is so great about Mcdonalds? I've been about 5 times in my entire life, and I'm 35! I don't use food as a treat for my children, although my 3 year old does like hot chocolate. I tend to say 'if you do x, y, z you can go out on your scooter/go to soft play' etc.

I make little fairy cakes for them sometimes, but I don't say it's a treat. When we go out I have my latte, and my son has his babycino hot choc. It's just what we do, not a 'treat' as such.

I do wonder what I'll say to them once they hit school age and become a bit more aware of places like McDo, but I'm sure I'll find a way round it.
  • nbischoff15
    Options
    I don't have children - so any advice I have on that subject would be way out in left field. :)
    As for eating out in general - I've started 'planning ahead'. I usually know a day or so before an 'out' meal - so I have a chance to look at the menu online and make my food choice ahead of time. Most places will have a grilled chicken of some sort, better option than breaded. If you do salad - make it a 'lunch size' rather than regular portion, and get your dressing on the side -- you will use less. Skip the fries. :) Choose coleslaw (yuck) or fruit or a veggie side if they have it.
    A lot of times for lunch (when I'm at work) if I eat out, I'll pick Potbelly sandwich, or Subway, or Jimmy John's... rather than fried food or large portions.
    Eating out in the evenings or weekends? Definitely plan ahead - maybe have a healthy snack (include protein to fill you up) before going out - skip the appetizer (usually fried and lots of calories). Ask them to not even bring a basket of bread (too tempting for me). AND - as soon as your meal is delivered, box up half of it to take home! If it isn't on your plate - you won't eat it.... :)
    Good luck - it CAN be done - you just have to plan ahead!
    Also - I find that the longer I'm on MFP and 'see' what different food choices are for calories, I find I'm looking at restaurant menus differently, even if I haven't reviewed ahead of time!
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options

+1. That and the fact that the parents are setting their kids up to be overweight they grow older because they love the over-processed, convenient food where you don't even have to get out your car to get. Then the kids will grow up and blame all their weight problems on genetics.

First time I had McDonalds, I was 17 and I honestly do not feel like I've missed out on anything in my childhood by never having McDonalds (I think by that time, I had KFC twice in my LIFE!!). And I wasn't fat.
  • anmehra
    anmehra Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    YES!! But, when I'm going through the drive-thru or sitting at a restaurant, I use the MFP phone app. I pick what I'd like to eat, see the nutritional content, and go from there. It's easy and the main reason I started using MFP :)