Cook Book to recommend?

Options
Hi

Can anyone recommend and good cook books which are tasty, imaginative and health?

Mst of them them these days are all oil and fats, I have my eye on Lorraine Pascalls books but just wondered what else people find helpful.

Thanks

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just got the Lorraine Pascale book but have not tried anything in it yet. Some amazing recipes in there including salmon wrapped in proscuitto, which could be relatively healthy if you pan fry it using one-cal oil spray and measure and log the quantities. Would be amazing with ratatouille or a big salad.

For quick fixes then Nigel Slater is hard to beat - Real Fast Food has recipes that are all under 20 minutes to prepare and cook. Not all healthy, mind, but has loads of ideas, particularly ones using lots of fresh vegetables and how to use up leftovers (I always make sure I have chicken left over from roast dinners to make his devilled chicken to go on a salad or baguette the next day - makes a great Sunday lunch).

My all time favourite cook book though is an oldie but a goodie - Good Housekeeping's New Step-by-Step. I got it years back as a bible for all the basics (from white sauce to jams to bread to how to cook different cuts of meat etc - it's all in here). It's like Delia Smith +10!

My mum and sister use it too and there are so many healthy (and not so healthy!) recipes in there - favourites being chicken in a spicy coriander and cumin tomato sauce (super healthy and great with everything from mash to rice or pasta) and the many, many vegetable-based soups. It's a book I never tire of and every recipe always turn out exactly right.

I got mine second hand on Amazon - there are a few different versions but this is the one we have: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Housekeeping-Step---step-Cookery/dp/0091777798/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1349878214&sr=8-7

Happy cooking!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I love any and all of the Eating Well cookbooks.
  • yourmomdude
    Options
    I love Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" and "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian"
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I like the Eat This, Not That cookbooks - there is "Cook This, Not That", "Cook This, Not That 350 calorie meals" and "Grill This, Not That". The food is very flavorful but concentrates on healthy ingredients.
  • lozadee
    lozadee Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Fab - thanks, I'l be giving some of them a look - I agree with the Lorraine Pascal book - lots of nice ideas - and not too damaging with little tweaks :D
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a book, but have you ever checked out skinnytaste.com? So many amazing, and healthy recipes there!
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    The Most Decadent Diet

That girl makes some really good food!
  • FightingGenetics
    FightingGenetics Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    "The Eat Clean Diet" By Tosca Reno
  • donnat871
    donnat871 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the new Looneyspoons cookbook - lots of variety and "normal" foood with a healthy twist.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I know it's not a book, but have you ever checked out skinnytaste.com? So many amazing, and healthy recipes there!

^^THIS!!!! I would not survive a diet without that site!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Whether you follow the "plan" or not South Beach Diet has some really fantastic cook books.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    There are some great websites you might check out....

www.foodnetwork.com (Food Network)
    www.cookingchanneltv.com (Cooking Channel)

(you'll have to look through the site, as I don't know what foods you like).

http://www.grahamkerr.com/category/blog/recipes/

Graham Kerr USED to use tons of fats and oils in his cooking, as well as wine. His wife had a stroke, then a heart attack. He's since radically changed his cooking style. Now he works more to cut down the fat and cholesterol.
  • valeriekey
    Options
    I got Weightwatcher Cookbook and it include 1 yr free subscription of their Weight Watcher magazine.
  • leelee0623
    Options
    I love Eatingwell.com and Kalynskitchen.com...plan all my meals around these two sites.
  • enissimon
    Options
    sparkpeople has a good cookbook, and thier site has tons of recipes
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I like the Clean Eating books by Tosca Reno and Skinnytaste.com
  • aileengh
    aileengh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like Marlene Koch's Eat What You Love cookbook. Everything I've tried, I've loved. And each recipe gives you the nutrtional information.
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light Magazine and skinnytaste.com
  • acrynne
    acrynne Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Clean Eating Magazine. And, their Best of Clean Eating Magazine cookbook is full of the best recipes!