Interval Training

Options
I'm asking if anyone does Interval Training and How many days a week do you do?

Replies

• RainbootsToBikinis
    Options
    4 days a week after about 45 minutes of weight lifting. I workout 6 days a week, the 2 days I don't do intervals is on leg days.
  • sanaa4560
    Options
    m also doing interval training four days a week.and i wanted to know how many calories i can burn by doing 30 minutes of interval training.. btw i m 5 ft 1' and 50 kgs.. and when i push maslf hard my heart rate would be at 160...hope to get the rough estimate ..from u guys
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My program calls for 10-15 min of HIIT followed by 15-30 min of regular intensity cardio 4x a week.
    And to clarify HIIT, I mean 30 seconds of knock down, drag out, couldn't talk to anyone if my life depended on it, closing my eyes, gritting my teeth, feel like I'm gonna take the stationary bike for an actual spin out the front of the gym window INTENSITY.
    If you are doing regular intervals, like on a treadmill and doing 1 minute at 7mph then 5 at 6mph, then 30 seconds at 7.5mph, then 3 at 6.5 mph, this is different than HIIT.
  • lauren0804
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I have been doing two days interval training and not sure if that is enough. One day is Highest Intensity which my BPM is between 173-180 or more. I do this on a Sunday. Then Friday is High Intenstiy which my BPM is up to 165 -171. Then I choose one day for recovery day, just a walk on the treadmill but getting my BPM up to 145.

I have been working with a wellness coach but decided to cancel my contract with her because of financial reasons. So now I'm trying to fill in the gaps. Two days (non interval days) I worked with her doing an hour of bootcamp workouts. I have gained 25 lbs, and up 1-2 pant sizes. I still don't consider myself overweight but I'd like to get down to a size 6 again! I have changed my eating habits and no processed foods, but more whole foods. It's so fustrating.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    If you're going to do HIIT don't workout your legs the same day or the following day. Give it rest.

I used to do about 25 minutes of interval training. With 3 minute warm ups and 3 minute cool downs. I started with 30seconds/1minute went all the way to 30 seconds/45 seconds. I'd go at about 90% and then 60% of effort.

Usually did it for 2-3 days a week.

If your body is up to the challenge then you can do something like:

HIIT
    Back/Biceps
    HIIT
    Chest/Triceps
    HIIT
    Shoulder/Legs

You can lose quite a bit of calories from 20 minutes. Depending on your weight anywhere from 150-260(the heavier you are the more you'll burn) calories is a reasonable estimate.

When I used to do it on an elliptical I would burn about 315-340 in 25 minutes
  • lauren0804
    Options
    If you're going to do HIIT don't workout your legs the same day or the following day. Give it rest.

I used to do about 25 minutes of interval training. With 3 minute warm ups and 3 minute cool downs. I started with 30seconds/1minute went all the way to 30 seconds/45 seconds. I'd go at about 90% and then 60% of effort.

Usually did it for 2-3 days a week.

If your body is up to the challenge then you can do something like:

HIIT
    Back/Biceps
    HIIT
    Chest/Triceps
    HIIT
    Shoulder/Legs

You can lose quite a bit of calories from 20 minutes. Depending on your weight anywhere from 150-260(the heavier you are the more you'll burn) calories is a reasonable estimate.

When I used to do it on an elliptical I would burn about 315-340 in 25 minutes

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that. My problem is that I only have 4 days to work out, I have two jobs,...so it's tough to squeeze any more time in. Do you think it would be okay to do cardio on the weight training days, as long as it's not intervals?
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that. My problem is that I only have 4 days to work out, I have two jobs,...so it's tough to squeeze any more time in. Do you think it would be okay to do cardio on the weight training days, as long as it's not intervals?

Yup that's completely fine. My friend would do about 20 minutes of treadmill after his weight training session. Except on leg days.

I liked HIIT because it burns even after you're done + you can do it in a very limited amount of time.

Hope this helps.
  • lauren0804
    Options

Yup that's completely fine. My friend would do about 20 minutes of treadmill after his weight training session. Except on leg days.

I liked HIIT because it burns even after you're done + you can do it in a very limited amount of time.

Hope this helps.

thanks it does help!!!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    totally; I do that twice most weeks.
    I would say to ease into it if you're not used to doing 2 workouts per day, maybe do a shorter than usual cardio session if the cardio is leg-heavy on leg day for weights the first couple of times.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do about one to two sprint intervals per week....looks something like this...

Sprint all out thirty seconds
    rest 45-60 seconds (depending on day) lately I have been doing 45 second rest
    repeat this about eight to ten times...

usually works out to about 15-20 minutes along with a five minute job warm up.

what are your goals? If you want to add a little muscle you should probably only do this once or twice a week. If you are looking to drop some serious weight and are not concerned with eating up some muscle then three times a week is good.

i used to do sprint intervals and then follow it up with some plyometrics/light weights/core work...for an additional 15-20 minutes...
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm asking if anyone does Interval Training and How many days a week do you do?

:flowerforyou:
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT 2 times a week. If I do it more than that, I feel really tired.

I do 30 seconds hard, then rest until my pulse gets back down to 120 - 125, usually around 1 - 1 1/4 minutes, then repeat. I do this 8 times which takes approximately 20 minutes with a 3 minute warmup and 3 minute cool down.
  • lauren0804
    Options
    I do about one to two sprint intervals per week....looks something like this...

Sprint all out thirty seconds
    rest 45-60 seconds (depending on day) lately I have been doing 45 second rest
    repeat this about eight to ten times...

usually works out to about 15-20 minutes along with a five minute job warm up.

what are your goals? If you want to add a little muscle you should probably only do this once or twice a week. If you are looking to drop some serious weight and are not concerned with eating up some muscle then three times a week is good.

i used to do sprint intervals and then follow it up with some plyometrics/light weights/core work...for an additional 15-20 minutes...

I want to lose about 10 lbs. Thanks so much for your help! Great input
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I do it 2-3 times a week tops. Usually 2. And never on consecutive days. It is way too taxing.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Please what are leg exercises? Is walking and jogging part of it?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Please what are leg exercises? Is walking and jogging part of it?

squats, deadlifts, lunges, reverse lunges, etc...any kind of workout that involves weights and your legs would be a leg exercise...
  • Gaberdeen
    Gaberdeen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This topic interests me and I hope I can glean something from other members experience of HIIT.

I've been in training since February and have managed to lose around 2 stone (dropped from 89kg to 76kg) but hadn't started interval training until around August while my weight was on the a steady decline from regular running (5k per day everyday)

I'm just wondering if I can now safely start to spread out my training days and give myself a little bit of a break. My intervals follow the convention of 2 minutes sprinting with 2 minutes recover for 7 reps which takes around 30 minutes with a 5 minute cooldown

I work offshore on a 2/2 2/4 basis so when I'm offshore, I do these HIIT's every night after my shift. When I'm home, I do them every 2nd day and at the weekends I don't bother at all (i.e. I work out Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays only)

Any advice anyone can give me would be appreciated - I haven't run into any problems yet, but always glad to hear from other peoples perspectives.
  • bigneshia19
    bigneshia19 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Has anyone notice that you really do loose weight when you only work out 30-40 minutes a day 3-4 days a week? I use to think as long as I got into the gym 2 or 3 days and worked out for 60 mins I would see results...but between me eating unhealthy snacks and only going to the gym once or twice a week. It hasnt been that successful for me.