Girl Topic: IUD

Options
Any of you with an IUD? Have you noticed it hindering your weight loss? or are things going smoothly for you?
I just got one and am wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

-Lindsey

Ps. I have the Mirena

Replies

• cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've had one if for almost three years and I love it. I didn't notice any weight gain but I know some chics that did. I have really enjoyed being period free.
  • erinblaze86
    Options
    I have had one for 6 years. Are you talking about the Mirena or Paragard?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for three years. Yes, it hindered my weight loss and in fact caused a 25-pound gain regardless of how much I ate or exercised. I had it out last month and within two weeks started losing again.

It doesn't do that to everyone, but it happens.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i had my daughter. i lost a ton of baby weight. i got an iud and *poof* it came back. i got it taken out *poof* 10lbs gone without trying (over a week or so not really all at once.)
  • mommykitty81
    mommykitty81 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    from my experience with them I didn't gain weight but I still had the moodiness once a month for awhile with them and i would eat horribly so I would keep an eye out for that. Otherwise I loved my iud and being period free!
  • mackzaj
    Options
    I have a Mirena, have had for 6 years, love it, love being period free and no issues with weight loss at all. I wonder if it's because I've had one for so long (just got Mirena #2 last October) and my hormones are super steady as a result.

Edited to add that I don't think I remember gaining any weight when I got it installed 6 years ago. On the other hand, I wasn't really concerned about it and wasn't trying to lose at the time either. I've been really lucky with medications (*fingers crossed*) to not gain weight at all, even with new meds for RA.

As with any medication (if you go the Mirena route, a small amount of hormone is released) or device that messes with your hormones or menstrual cycle, everyone is going to react differently and there is no predicting your particular reaction. If it makes sense for you from other perspectives, i.e. long-term, reliable birth control or fibroids or something, then talk it over with your doctor and you might want to give it a shot.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for three years. Yes, it hindered my weight loss and in fact caused a 25-pound gain regardless of how much I ate or exercised. I had it out last month and within two weeks started losing again.

It doesn't do that to everyone, but it happens.
    THIS^^^^ same kind and everything
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    Don't do it! It caused me to gain 30 lbs. Not to mention it made me so angry!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had the plain copper one a few years ago. It made me so sick. Over the course I had it, it was like my body was slowly rejecting it with my symptoms becoming more and more intense including chronic tiredness, low-grade fever and mood swings. Even my hair stopped growing. The instant it came out I felt like a different person. People commented that the life had come back into me.

But apparently the Mirena is much better and a couple of friends who have it have had good experiences I think.
  • GCgirl24
    Options
    I had my first one put in in 2005, and my second one put in in 2010. Best decision I ever made. No crazy hormone shifts, no period....although I do still have monthly breakouts and my boobs get tender....and it hasn't done anything to make me not lose weight. I would highly recommend it, and I do, to anyone that asks about it. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that a friend of mine got hers at the exact same time I did (within a week) and had the exact same problems. I told her I was getting mine out and she immediately made an appointment to get hers out and is now losing all the weight she packed on that wouldn't budge with it in.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i got the paaguard about a month ago and it hasnt really affected my weight loss. if anything it maybe made it a little easier to lose weight. i am loving it so far.
  • linds3h
    Options
    I have had one for 6 years. Are you talking about the Mirena or Paragard?

I have the Mirena
  • MelissaSue810
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. I've had mine for 8 months and it has not affected my weight. I gained over the last 18 months, but I don't think Mirena had anything to do with it. I was really stressed out with graduate school, an internship, final paper etc. Now that my stress has gone down and I am eating better I am losing weight without any problems. Only you know your body, but I LOVE it and will probably have another one put in at the end of 5 years. :)

Also, I think I workout more, becuase I don't need to take a day or two off each month due to awful cramps! I LOVE this part.
  • XjuliaXannX
    XjuliaXannX Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i've not lost any weight since i've had mine in. it's been making me so unhappy, i talked to a dr and she said to keep it in a full year.. idk though. i'm ready to take it out.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I got one in Jan this year and didn't gain anything and since I weaned my daughter and got serious a few weeks ago, I have been losing fine. My BFF has had one for 6 years (just got her reinstall this year) and she is a beauty.

I think it just depends on you and your body chemistry.
  • emikatlew
    emikatlew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had on for just over a year now and love it. No initial weight gain, and having no problems shedding weight now that I am trying to do so.

I also have two friends who have had them several years, one is on her second, both are very slim women and have had no issues with weight gain either.

It is something that affects all women differently, it is just unfortunate that we usually hear far more horror stories than good stories.
  • mboblet4
    Options
    I've had mine for 3 years now. At first I gained 15 pounds and had a really hard time getting it off. I think once my body adjusted it was a little easier to lose but I still have a really hard time losing weight while on ANY birth control. I think the pros of the IUD definitely out weigh the weight gain issue. :smile: