Why/how did mouthbreather become an insult?

Options
n0ob
n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
I'm too lazy to google...

Replies

• n0ob
    Options
    ?
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Meaning you're too fat to breathe through your nose because you don't get enough oxygen that way.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    these days anything can be turned into an insult
  • n0ob
    Options
    I've seen it used more to mean dumb a** than anything.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options

Stop being such an eye-blinker ugh worse than foot-walkers
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options

Stop being such an eye-blinker ugh worse than foot-walkers

Oi! I'm a footwalker!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You concrete walker!
  • zanAspera
    zanAspera Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I thought it was the 14th century, but I forgot where I'd read that... There is something to be said for Mouth-breathers being dullards... Along the same lines as the slackjawed. I have noticed that active msucular control of the jaw can be a legitimate indicator by allegory the throttle or gearshift for the wheels of the mind...
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There's a great column that used to run in the paper called The Straight Dope, which would take on questions just like this. It lives on as a web site, and sure enough, the message board there has apparently addressed this several times:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=341187

Enjoy! :-)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    You concrete walker!

don't call people that!!
    b81yfm.jpg
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    from this article

http://www.agd.org/about/newsmedia/pressreleases/Default.asp?PubID=45&IssID=1131&ArtID=7326

Over time, children whose mouth breathing goes untreated may suffer from abnormal facial and dental development, such as long, narrow faces and mouths, gummy smiles, gingivitis and crooked teeth. The poor sleeping habits that result from mouth breathing can adversely affect growth and academic performance. As Dr. Jefferson notes in his article, “Many of these children are misdiagnosed with attention deficit disorder (ADD) and hyperactivity.” In addition, mouth breathing can cause poor oxygen concentration in the bloodstream, which can cause high blood pressure, heart problems, sleep apnea and other medical issues.