Under 1200 calories at the end of the day...what to do?

Options
So I'm a bit under 1200 calories just because of the way my day went. I was pretty upset about something around breakfast time so I couldn't eat in the morning, had one of the super low cal lean cuisine lunches, and worked out after work which surprisingly makes me lose my appetite for about an hour or so after. I'm a touch over 6 ft and am pretty sure I should be eating 1200 calories minimum just out of common sense.

So my question is what should I do when it's hit almost 8:30 and I realize that I haven't hit 1200. Do I risk a slower metabolism or do I eat until I've got the necessary calories even though I'm eating pretty late at night and won't use it? Candy time or avoid the sugar?

Thanks for the help guys!

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Eating at night will not have any effect on your metabolism whatsoever. That is a common diet myth. Meal frequency and timing are irrelevant.

Definitely fill in your calories for the day at hit your minimum.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Ok. So definitely less of an issue tonight since my roommate just handed me a glass of wine, but still really good to know! This happens to me occasionally when I'm watching calories!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Ok. So definitely less of an issue tonight since my roommate just handed me a glass of wine, but still really good to know! This happens to me occasionally when I'm watching calories!

Yup! Just hit your calorie and macronutrient (carb, protein, and fat) goals, and you'll be doing great! :)
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

Although eating late doesn't effect your metabolism, alcohol does.

Edited: typo
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Eating at night WILL result in your having excess food in your belly in the morning, but my comment is this...

Are you hungry? Then eat something. Protein such a lean meats are said to be good for late night, as well as yogurt. I used to eat my late night frozen yogurt every single day while I was losing 100lbs.

If you are not hungry, do not eat. I don't care how many calories you took in, the whole notion of eating when you aren't hungry is what got us on this site in the first place. ;)

Your metabolism isn't going to slow by much in one day, not due to lack of calories anyway, so no worries.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it! Some days I eat more, some days less.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    peanut_butter_spoon.jpg
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    One day under won't affect your metabolism drastically. If you aren't hungry, then don't eat...some days it is hard to make your target, especially if you are working out.

I regularly have days where my net is only 600 calories or so, purely because I burn a large amount during my workouts and that's usually in the middle of the day or in the afternoons/evenings...I physically can't bring myself to eat all of those calories back some days, I would literally have to have a feast for dinner!
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering this tonight!! I've had just under 1000 cal for the day but it's because I was up very late for school, woke up early for an exam, and came home and slept through the afternoon.

I even got takeout sushi (love love love) because I had so much room but I'm STILL way under!
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    nothing to worry bout... happens to me all the time...just means i can have a snack later if i want with out going over.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eating at night WILL result in your having excess food in your belly in the morning, but my comment is this...

So you believe that once you hit your bed all systems stop and no digestion takes place? Seriously?
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    This question should be a no-brainer. Eat if you're hungry.