burned out

Options
I'm really burned out of working out, and have been for the last week or so. I've been really stressed, and although I know exercise is supposed to help, I find it just weighs me down and it is harder for me to do because I am just not into it. I feel like I shouldn't take too much time off, I've tried just going for long walks or going to zumba instead of running, elliptical, etc. It's like I don't want to do any of it. Anyone have any recommendations as to how to overcome this?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump :(
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Take some time off. Let your body rest. Do whatever you have to do to relieve some of the stress in your life.
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Turn on your favorite tunes and dance your butt off
    While your cooking dinner do leg exercises...squats ..whatever
    rake leaves..come to my house and rake leaves
    go to the mall and climb stairs
  • chimneymom
    Options
    I agree with anifani4 - your body is telling you to take it easy. Maybe try some yoga, or stretching instead of going for calorie-burning. If you push through and keep working out when you're feeling burned out you may injure yourself - if your body needs a break it will find a way to get that break.
    As to getting over not liking exercise - I hear ya sister. I hate exercising. So today I did some 'real world' exercise - taking buckets of construction debris to the dump, cleaning, and jumping up & down at the state semifinal soccer game. I had fun and I felt good for just getting out and moving.
  • SoonerVet
    Options
    Not trying to be offensive or insinuate anything, but any chance this could be a sign of depression? If everything else in life you still have a passion for - then ignore this comment! But if you feel like lots of things just aren't as fun as they used to be, it might be worth checking out.

otherwise... I would suggest maybe finding a buddy who can work out with you and make it more fun. Or you can just keep trying new things. I never would have thought of myself as a pilates person, but I loved doing it. kickboxing, belly dancing... one of these just might click with you. I have to trick myself into believing I'm not exercising, so I personally try random videos like ballet or yoga. It feels more like "learning" ballet, and less like exercising. I also watch TV while I elliptical. Homeland + ellipitical = I feel like I'm training for the CIA.

Maybe sign up for a marathon so it's not just seen as "my daily workout I have to do", but actual practice for getting better at something.

Hope some of this helps!
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    bump... I'm struggling with this as well.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, just gets old. But push through it. With winter coming on its going to be tough! Cold days suck, and I dont care much for going down to the dungeon ( our basement, no windows ) and walking on the treadmill. ;)

I have alot of things to do, walk, run, glider, abs, weights, total gym, but still........boring! So this weekend we are getting a Xbox kinect and do some of the games, I esp want to do the dancing.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I take a full diet and exercise rest week every 6-8 weeks. It is the only way I have been able to do this for almost 2 years
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Maybe set some goals with rewards for yourself. You know....you get to go to the movies after you've worked out a dozen times, stuff like that. Some of us are motivated by working toward something tangible.
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just keep on keeping on! Exercise is good for you, especially in the long run. C:
    Maybe try some of your favorite tunes while exercising? It helped motivate me. (:
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the post about depression.
    I've been feeling that way a bit, and notice that I have been a bit more stressed and depressed than usual.
    Might be worth looking at.

I plan on getting back on track though.
    I figured to some degree that I may have been pushing myself.

I seem to start better at the first of the week or month.
    So I am going back at it tomorrow.
    This time, I am going at it with the mentality that it's not the number of calories I burn, it's that I am up, active and burning calories.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I LOVE working out. Although I understand getting in a slump on occassion: For several years I was on again/off again. For the last 3 years, I've found my "fit". I make it a point to get something new fitness related about once a month or every other month, even if it's a new DVD from Amazon ($10 or less most times!), a new sports bra for home workouts or tank-sports bra for the gym. I look up new moves or try to push harder on moves that I don't really like but know what they work (used to despise burpees, love them now!!).

It has also helped with my manic depression. Haven't taken meds in 3 years now & when I'm down, I do Tai Chi to rebalance. Find your fit, even if its taking a yoga class or getting a new workout outfit - even if you workout at home, I still like to look cute in case Hubz sees me working out :wink:

Motivating friends help, too. I have a few on here that keep me around just to read my workouts & get their motivation to keep going. After all, if I can do it, anyone can, and that means YOU!! :flowerforyou:
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    instead of working out like an hour at a time, jog in place during commercial breaks throughout the day. at the end of the day it adds up and you can still relax through the day and not feel strained

good luck!
  • hiddenaudacity
    hiddenaudacity Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've experienced his with my exercise regime. I've been following a strict training schedule for a 10k but it's too much for me. At first I loved it and resented rest days, then I started not wanting to run at all and when I did, I was terrible. I took a couple of days off exercise completely and suddenly I was raring and ready to go again! It's probably just your body telling you it needs a break, rest days are very important. Don't be afraid to ake a couple of days of and see how you feel.
  • michelleProv
    Options
    I have felt the same way and still do I dont exersize alot i shop/walk if that makes sence I have slipped it into my normal arrands so I dont notice as much especialy now that the hollidays are around the corner.. Actualy i have come across a ton of deals this way too.. I hate exercizing it is not fun so i just make it a game and when i think og quiting wich is aleast twice a week i think I DONT WANT TO BE FAT ANYMORE... so back on track I go its ok to have a bad day or weekend just jump right back on track
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat, stressed out from work on top of trying to hit my weight loss goal. I'm tired to, so instead of doing 90 - 120 minutes of exercise the remainder of the week will cut down to 1 hour to get some rest. Well wishes on your journey.
  • canadakim17
    canadakim17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    when I get like that I try taking off two days in a row (no more than that!!!) I often find that gets me through it!
  • bobbyrosegr2000
    Options
    Me to - The last thing I want to do after 9 hours at work is work out :-( I hate running with a passion, find I do little at the gym and find the only thing that works is a fitness dvd. Even this burns me out, I can never do anything after I have done it. ie cook dinner. Then I am in pain for the next 3 days. I may be slightly unfit but it should be this hard :-(
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options

rake leaves..come to my house and rake leaves

:bigsmile:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Take some time off. Let your body rest. Do whatever you have to do to relieve some of the stress in your life.

I agree. Rest. Recover. And then start again.