Do I have to give up soda?

Options
Today I ate fruits, and vegetables, and maltomeal
buuut I had pepsi too.
I'm used to eating fast food all the time at getting about 2400 calories
Today I got about 500 calories in including pepsi...
Do I have to stop drinking soda to lose weight?

Replies

• ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No, just use moderation.. I still drink it once or twice a week.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anything to drink but water and beer for over 9 months
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    No...but if you drink regular soda, you'll have to eat less to account for the calories. Switch to diet or cut it out all together. If you don't, you will be just be starting out in a big hole, calories-wise.
  • kjjbean
    kjjbean Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No you don't. Should you, yes.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to, as long as you count it in your calories. Soda is a treat just like brownies or chips. As long as you account for it, you're good.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love the fizz, so I keep some diet soda around. I'm not fond of the aftertaste, but sometimes I just want the fizz!

For a healthier fizz, try some soda water with a splash of juice, and lots of ice.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Today I ate fruits, and vegetables, and maltomeal
    buuut I had pepsi too.
    I'm used to eating fast food all the time at getting about 2400 calories
    Do I have to stop drinking soda to lose weight?

No, you can still lose weight. But, soda is such a negative for your body in so many ways, why would you want to drink it?
  • Brujah1981
    Brujah1981 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to. The big question is whether you drink soda because you love the taste, or because you're addicted to caffeine. When I started my diet I cut all pop out, but after month I started craving it again. Since then I've stuck to either Sparkling Ice (a lightly carbonated flavored water, no calories, no nutrasweet) or I'm trying Zevia brand soda now (also 0 calories and uses an all natural sweetner. Btw, it's also low sodium).

I guess I'm saying you can have soda without cutting your food calories back too much and avoiding the diet soda flavor.
  • mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Most ppl do drop the soda becuz it bloats most. Plus most sodas r high sugar which can hinder your loss. switch to diet if u havent already and cut back as much as possible. I still have 1 or 2 20oz a week just for a little flavor. carwful eating too low on cals if 500 is all u had thats seriously too low 1200 should be lowest
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Soda Stream Investment:

Cheaper in the long run.
    35 calories for a regular flavor
    no high fructose corn syrup.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go from 2500 cals/day to 500 cals/per day to loose weight... To keep it off, you'll be much better off with a smaller deficit. And no, you don't need to give up soda entirely unless there is a medical reason to do so. But, drinking sugary beverages can cause insulin spikes that cause your body to crave more sugar - so, it can be difficult for some people to moderate soda consumption.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Soda Stream Investment:

Cheaper in the long run.
    35 calories for a regular flavor
    no high fructose corn syrup.
    This right here. I use the diet flavors and SodaStream confirmed that they will introduce flavors using STEVIA soon and that will be what I'll drink.
  • _tasteofink
    Options
    I'm really bad with calories
    I either eat waay too many or way too little
    and when I eat healthy, I get full on very little calories :/
    any tips?
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    No, you don't have to give it up as long as you count the calories in. But you do have to eat more than 500 calories a day.
  • NicoleNeverman
    Options
    As long as it fits into your daily calories then it's ok. But I cut all soda type drinks when I started here, mainly to cut out the negative effects it has on your health.

You NEED to eat MUCH more than 500 calories a day! You cannot maintain weight loss with calories that low.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

No, and you don't have to give up food either. Good God, please eat more than 500 calories a day.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If It Fits Your Macros
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    You NEED to eat MUCH more than 500 calories a day! You cannot maintain weight loss with calories that low.

This. I'm sorry...but I find it hard to believe that you have gone from eating 2400 calories/day to feeling full with 500 calories/day. I'm not usually one to make rude comments on forums, but I just don't believe it. And you are just setting yourself up for failure, starving your body. Even if you think you feel full enough on 500 calories, your body needs more than that to function.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Soda can make you feel full while you're eating. Try drinking water after you eat instead. That way, you know you're full from nutritious calories, not empty calories.

To add calories easily, you could put peanut butter on celery, add some cheese, throw in some sunflower seeds, add cottage cheese, have whole milk with your oatmeal or cereal, etc.
  • _tasteofink
    Options
    Soda can make you feel full while you're eating. Try drinking water after you eat instead. That way, you know you're full from nutritious calories, not empty calories.

To add calories easily, you could put peanut butter on celery, add some cheese, throw in some sunflower seeds, add cottage cheese, have whole milk with your oatmeal or cereal, etc.

thank you!