Big to small, or small to big?

Options
I was thinking about this last night, having always been a very slender/fit person until I became very overweight in my late 30’s. Which is harder I wonder, someone who has always been thin, who becomes quite large trying to get back to “former self”? Or someone who has always been large, trying to become someone they have never been?

Replies

• greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I would say someone attempting to get to a weight they've never been before. Be it putting on weight or taking it off. If you've been where you're going already then you would have at least a vague idea of what to expect along the way. But if you haven't been there before it would be a whole new road to discover. My opinion anywho.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I was always thin until I had my son. It was very difficult for me to see the mess I made of myself. Now that I have lost the weight and am smaller than I was before, my confidence is back and I feel like I used to.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i was wondering if it was a "don't know what you got, if you never had it", or being tormented by something you had, and let slip away...
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I was very thin until my late 20's/early 30's. Like 115-125 consistently since high school. My highest weight was 159 a few years ago. I'm now at 130 and finding it hard to break back into the 120's where I look my best.

I'd venture to say that it may be harder for someone who's never been thin to visualize themselves that way... And you know what they say about visualization... you must first be able to "see" something in your mind in order to make it happen.

I hate that I have a bit of extra fat on my body, don't get me wrong... I really hate it. And I hate it mostly because it's not coming off "easy" like it would have in my 20's. There's just a layer of fat that's accumulated that doesn't wanna budge without me working my tail off now. But I do think it's probably harder for those who've never been thin or even a healthy weight.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I thought it was the motion of the ocean.
    *bam*

I think being thin then being bigger trying to get thin...my logic is based on the fact I can relate to the skinny people who get *****ed at, and the over weight ones too...it can be depressing on both sides :P

Then again some of those who have never been thin that I have run into are dealing with 'you can do it that way but I can't' complex where they think they work differently then the rest of the world...some don't understand how easily one can live and be thin, which I would imagine is overwhelmingly hard to deal with if they have a unrealistic vision of what it should be like. Then the hardly eating anything skinny girl thoughts must be daunting.
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Being heavy my entire life, I can tell you that losing weight is not only challenging, it's almost a little disappointing at times too. If you see others lose weight and they look instantly fabulous, then you lose weight and you've gotta wait a few more months to wait for your skin to shrink back up and/or have surgery to get the same results... it kinda sucks. I know I have better health now and I feel much better. People who balloon up for a few years and then go back down generally don't have that issue.

On the other hand, if you've always been made fun of for being heavy, then lose weight.. it's almost easier to a degree because you have no expectations. You'll take anything you can get as long as it's better than what it was.

Good question.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've been fat, thin, thin to bulky (though bulky is my natural tendency), back to fat, and back bulky again.

Being thin period takes the most work for me. I was running 4-7 miles a day at about 9 mph pace and lifting (light for me vs. my past) weights 3x per week. I was constantly tired, cranky, and I'd battle vertigo from time to time (at 24 years old too). Also I'll freely admit that it was a damn good thing I was single, as I would have been worthless in the sack for intercourse. I say I was "too thin" when I was 5'10" and 178 lbs. I was around 8% body fat. I eventually admitted that I can't keep this up (and not being able to get it up at that age is kind of mortifying).

Rectified everything by cutting cardio to 2-3 days a week and no more than 20 minutes and starting lifting harder. Gained 30 lean pounds in about a year and a half, and increased my body fat by an acceptably small amount. This is when I felt my best and had no issues downstairs and had the body I wanted.

Typical life excuses happened for me to get back up to pre-journey weight at the start of this year. I was now on blood pressure pills and just a tub of lard at 5'10" 285.

I currently sit at about 220 with a different proportioned mass than previously at 210. I was really leg dominant then (I could rep 495 raw on squats then) with comparably less mass in my upper back. I can barbell row about 60 more pounds now than then, and one arm row about 35 more pounds for working sets. Still can't match younger me on squats, but I'm benching the most I've ever benched. I look far better proportioned now than at 210 years ago, just a few pounds of far left to lose.

So staying thin period was hardest for me with losing 2nd, and going from thin to larger the easiest. I'd eat well on weekdays and literally go crazy on weekends (like 6000-7000 cals sat and sun) during my weight gaining phase. That's just fun and easy.

But my experience with being "thin" is why you won't see me advocating long bouts of cardio for weight loss vs. more sensible deficits and strength training as the main method.
  • joshkilborn
    joshkilborn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've never been thin. I don't think I'd even recognize myself, but I'm not letting that stop me!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight causes our fat cells to not only get bigger, but to multiply. Therefore, it is more difficult to lose weight if you were thin and then became heavy, or if you yo-yo.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    want to be a new me!
  • MoChroi8609
    MoChroi8609 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I asked myself the same question for years. A few months ago I actually posted it to my FB & a friend answered it best, "Never being comfortable in your own body.". I found that none of my friends, who I was always jealous of (being I have always been a big girl) ever thought they had great bodies. We each envied different things the others had but never voiced them. It was a real eye opener. I don't think it's small to big OR big to small. I agree w/ my friend that never being comfortable in your own body is the worst. I know we are all here to lose weight &/or get fit but the ultimate goal should be to be healthy & happy w/ ourselves physically, no matter what size that may end up being.