Big Breakfast or Big Dinner?

Options
Here is my normal diet:

Morning bagel with cream chese

Progresso soup and an apple

Dinner is different every day..

Usually I eat the most at dinner, but is it better to eat a big dinner, or a big breakfast?

Opinions?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Eat however it works for you. Time of day doesn't matter.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's better to eat when you're hungry and go light when you're not.

Plenty of people say to eat a big breakfast with protein to make you less hungry later. That might work for them, but it doesn't work for me. I end up wishing I had those calories back by the end of the day.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I eat small meals 5 times a day for a more constant energy release. It cuts out the desire/need to snack almost completely.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's better to eat when you're hungry and go light when you're not.

Plenty of people say to eat a big breakfast with protein to make you less hungry later. That might work for them, but it doesn't work for me. I end up wishing I had those calories back by the end of the day.

I completely agree with this. You could also try evening it out .. for example, 400 cals each
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well i think it's better to go Big, small,medium or 5-6 meal a day but I cannot do that.
    With kids and family..my only family time is during dinner so I cook for everyone.
    I make everything as healthy as possible but it's more food for sure.
    So I eat Big,small,big. I go to bed late so I can diggest fine. I never go over my calories and I check everything to make sure.

But like some said before...It depends how you feel and how your body works....Some can't diggest late etc..some can

One thing's for sure...You need carbs and protein for breakfast if you want to stay awake and feel good...
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    bagel and cream cheese-lots of empty carbs, not very filling, and in my experience made me just crave more bread.

I eat a big breakfast, peanut butter and a banana with an egg (about 400 calories) but VERY filling. My lunch is a meal-replacement shake with almond milk or a meal bar just for the convenience. So I usually have 400-500ish calories left for dinner depending on any snacks, and I eat a LOT of veggies with some lean meat or legumes to fill me up, and garnish with a little cheese or yogurt or some form of fat.

If you have the calories, it doesn't matter when you eat more, though i've found going to bed a little hungry but not starving leads to eating a big breakfast, which fills me up all day and gives me more energy than eating heavier at night.
  • oosaah
    oosaah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete believer in big breakfasts/lunches and tiny dinners. I HATE going to bed feeling like I have food in my stomach and this restructuring of meals actually helped me to break out of a plateau I was on.
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    big breakfast is better than big dinner... =)
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I find eating meals at 'normal' times over rated....I sometimes don't wake up till after 10am or go to bed till 10a...I am a shift worker.
    I find it helpful to eat at least two main meals and snack lots on fruits and veggies. I toss in a sweet treat eveny now and then. But do whats right for you. I personally feel that eating say 5 or 6 mini meals is better on your body then two or three big meals...better for digestions and your health:)
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    here is how my eating schedule works..

i wake up at 10 am, dont eat breakfast until 12, which is usually 400 ish calories

then i have to wait 3 hours until i can exercise otherwise i will get really bad stomach pains during cardio.. gym usually takes 1.5-2 hours and then i shower, then eat dinner which is usually 400-500 calories at 7 pm

after that i wait 4 hours (11 PM) until i eat my last food amount of the day which is usually another 400 calories
    i make good choices (calorie wise) for my meals so it is always a LOT of food and fills me up!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Eat however it works for you. Time of day doesn't matter.
    ^ This. Meal timing is irrelevant. Your metabolism functions 24 hours a day.