Anti snoring devices?

Options
Lift_hard_eat_big
Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
Does anyone have any experience with an anti snoring device? Whether it's a nasal strips, mouth pieces, etc., please recommend a brand that worked well or give me suggestions on what to avoid.

Replies

• Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Men snore because when they lay on their backs their sac falls over their arsehole creating a vapor lock.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    ^ Hilarious.

I'm interested in seeing the responses to this question. I use earplugs AND headphones, but still end up in the guestroom most nights.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Interested.

I snore >.> wakes my bf up sometimes LOL
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Go to your dentist and get a bi-maxillary splint made. It is similar to a mouthguard but is joined top and bottom with a gap for your tongue. This brings the jaw forward and stops the tongue falling into the throat, thus mostly eliminating snoring. It doesnt work for everyone, but is a great alternative to surgery.
  • Castvnsn007
    Castvnsn007 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes nose strips work if the issue is a stuffy nose or one that is hard to breathe out of. If there are airway restrictions (lack of room) in the back of your throat then nose strips wont help and you will at least need something that will pull your lower jaw/tongue out a little bit to allow more room for air in the throat area. There are some you can get over the counter or online, not sure how great those work since they are not custom made to fit your mouth.
    However, your dentist can probably fabricate one for you that is more custom made to fit your mouth and will actually stay in your mouth overnight- technical name is mandibular repositioning device. I will warn you that sometimes a sleep study is necessary, and actually if the snoring is that bad a sleep study might not be a bad idea because the "snoring" may be sleep apnea, which can be very dangerous to health (really hard on the cardiovascular system). Worst case scenario would be a CPAP machine, which I doubt you will need based on your question. But everyone I have ever met with a CPAP machine are grateful they have it.

You can start with the simplest option then work your way up as you need, but now you have some ideas... :-)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Go to your dentist and get a bi-maxillary splint made. It is similar to a mouthguard but is joined top and bottom with a gap for your tongue. This brings the jaw forward and stops the tongue falling into the throat, thus mostly eliminating snoring. It doesnt work for everyone, but is a great alternative to surgery.

I've looked into zquiet, which is what you described. For $60 I'm willing to give it a shot.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    snorer subbing in
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Sometimes nose strips work if the issue is a stuffy nose or one that is hard to breathe out of. If there are airway restrictions (lack of room) in the back of your throat then nose strips wont help and you will at least need something that will pull your lower jaw/tongue out a little bit to allow more room for air in the throat area. There are some you can get over the counter or online, not sure how great those work since they are not custom made to fit your mouth.
    However, your dentist can probably fabricate one for you that is more custom made to fit your mouth and will actually stay in your mouth overnight- technical name is mandibular repositioning device. I will warn you that sometimes a sleep study is necessary, and actually if the snoring is that bad a sleep study might not be a bad idea because the "snoring" may be sleep apnea, which can be very dangerous to health (really hard on the cardiovascular system). Worst case scenario would be a CPAP machine, which I doubt you will need based on your question. But everyone I have ever met with a CPAP machine are grateful they have it.

You can start with the simplest option then work your way up as you need, but now you have some ideas... :-)

I do notice that when my allergies are acting up I tend to snore more because I'm forced to breath through my mouth. I don't believe I snore much when Iie on my back vs my side, but sleeping on my side hurts my neck so I rarely sleep on my side.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    my ex has sleep apnea.

his cpap machine changed things - for his mood, his alertness, how attentive he was with the family, his weight... It was amazing!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I found a fan helped out with drowning the noise.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    My wife has an anti-snoring device.
    She calls it her "death pillow".
    She holds it over my face until I wake up.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    PureSleep..... You mold it to your mouth, it moves your jaw forward and clears the obstruction...works awesome!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any experience with an anti snoring device? Whether it's a nasal strips, mouth pieces, etc., please recommend a brand that worked well or give me suggestions on what to avoid.

Lose weight, I tried everything even a doctor prescribed cpap machine nothing worked intil I was about 50lbs lighter. I even sent the cpap machine back a few months ago.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Sleep study from a medical facility.

They will look into why it is, I had sleep apnea. My wife wasn't as bothered about the snoring as the periods of not snoring and not breathing.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Recently my husband has been trying this mouth spray called snore stop and it does reduce it, unless he sleeps on his back. I have to use noise cancelling headphones to sleep with him because when he does snore, it wakes me immediately. He is supposed to get a sleep study done next year *fingers crossed*

We have tried the mouth guard, the pillow for snorers, making him sleep sitting up, nasal strips, etc etc. None of these worked for us, or were way too uncomfortable.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Lose weight, I tried everything even a doctor prescribed cpap machine nothing worked intil I was about 50lbs lighter. I even sent the cpap machine back a few months ago.

When my husband lost some weight last year, his snoring almost completely disappeared. Unfortunately, he is not as consistant about working out and eating right as I am, and it returned quickly.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    OK.. In all seriousness, weight loss has caused me to almost totally stop snoring. My wife claims that if I am REALLY tired or had a half bottle of rum in me, I snore pretty bad.
  • SleepPro
    Options
    Many people treat snoring as a simple condition that can be ignored or just dealt with later – possibly because they live alone or because their partners can ignore it. In fact, sometimes people do not even realize that others are constantly annoyed by their snoring.

The reason for this is simple: Most snorers don’t even know they snore!

Meanwhile, some people seem to think that this is a natural, inevitable condition for them, and one that does not need to be cured. However, snoring issues can often cause a lot of future problems; it could even indicate a more dangerous present health problem, so it is always better to solve your snoring problem as soon as you can.

Snoring, especially for people who are already married or living with a partner, can be a very annoying problem for that person’s partner. It might also lead to relationship problems. However, sometimes snoring can also indicate a dangerous health condition, called obstructive sleep apnoea, which could even cause fatal damage to your body. So, if you have not reached the age of 30 yet, it might be a good idea to solve your severe snoring problem as soon as possible, even if you are living on your own and you sleep alone.

The first move for many snorers, of course, is to consider using one of the many advertised ‘stop snoring’ devices to attempt to cure the problem. But is this the smartest move for you?

There are many solutions for snoring problems, including herbal medicines, stop snoring devices, and surgery. But before going into more depth about the solutions, it is essential to know what the common causes of snoring are.

Snoring happens when the flow of air is obstructed in your mouth and nose. It can be caused by natural reasons, like age and gender. Men are comparatively more likely to snore than women, and middle-aged people are more likely to snore than younger people. However, there are other less well-known causes of snoring like alcohol intake and sleep posture. Obesity can also leads to snoring, and people with nasal problems would also experience snoring problems. Some people are also born with abnormalities in the soft tissues in their throat that create a tendency to snore.

The first step to fight snoring is STOP the bad habits that may be causing the condition. Stop drinking alcohol; avoid sleeping on your back, and so on. People who are obese may want to make a real push to get to their ideal body weight, which can greatly affect all areas of health. However, for people who are obese and those whose snoring is caused by natural causes, more complex solutions are often needed to stop the snoring.

If surgery is too expensive or too scary, then talk to your doctor. He more than likely will recommend using a stop snoring device such as a dental mouthpiece. They have a terrific success record and are fully endorsed and recommended by the NHS.

SleepPro offer the full range of solutions from a simple “out of the box version” which is so well priced that you can trial it to see if it works for you – and if it does there is a more customised version that will mould to your specific requirements – and you can even get the money back for the first basic product that you tried.

In fact why not consider a professionally fitted device made especially for you. These are a little more expensive, but tend to be even more effective than the two previous “out of the box” solutions.

Take a good look at the various options offered by Sleeppro including their latest SFA version – currently the ultimate in comfort, fit and adjustment.

If you do go down this popular road then make sure to consult with your dentist in order to ensure the best fit for your jaw.