Would I lose weight in this scenario?

Options
I am a very big guy and started this 5 weeks ago. Now to lose 2 pounds a week i had to be under 95,900 calories and here are my results.

9/24 - 10/31 Allowed = 95,900 Consumed =84,583
Difference of = 11,317

was this good or do I need to improve?

Replies

• Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am a very big guy and started this 5 weeks ago. Now to lose 2 pounds a week i had to be under 95,900 calories and here are my results.

Difference of = 11,317

How much did you lose in those 5 weeks? How did you feel? Any change in measurements? How is your gym performance?

I don't mean to disregard your question, because it's great that you're tracking. But I'd consider the answers to the above questions first.
  • gamerguy90
    Options
    I haven't done my weigh in yet and have been doing light workouts because of my work schedule. I guess I was looking for answers based on calorie intakes.
  • gamerguy90
    Options
    anywhere from 1200 to 2000 It varied throughout the 5 weeks to be honest.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Options
    Basically, if you are eating less calories than you burn, then you will lose weight. If you are a sedentary person that doesn't get much exercise, you will have to be pretty strict on your calorie intake. Have a look at your results and see if what you have been doing has worked. If it has then great, keep going! If not, then you may just need to be a bit stricter on what you're eating.
  • melleyshelley
    melleyshelley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    (newbie here) - are you saying that if my calorie goal is 1800 calories per day, that I have to burn more than 1800 calories per day in order to loose weight? I guess I'm confused about this part. That would be like 3 hours of exercise a day for me ;)
  • onesmallcupcake
    Options
    No melleyshelley. You need a certain number of calories just for your body to survive. Then you need to eat less calories than that if you want to lose weight. Exercising will speed up the process, but what you put into your mouth (or how much) is really important.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    (newbie here) - are you saying that if my calorie goal is 1800 calories per day, that I have to burn more than 1800 calories per day in order to loose weight? I guess I'm confused about this part. That would be like 3 hours of exercise a day for me ;)

Yes. But you burn calories just being alive through breathing, organ function, walking, etc. So you don't have to burn more than 1800 extra calories. You just have to burn more than 1800 overall. How much you burn during normal sedentary body function varies based on your sex, age, height, weight, BF%, fitness and other individual factors.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Options

Yes, but like the previous posters have pointed out, not all 1800 calories have to come from exercise as your body uses calories just to carry out its normal functions. If you have set your MFP tracker according to your height, weight, activity level and goals, it will give you a daily calorie target that is already set at a defecit that is appropriate for weight loss. If you focus on keeping your daily calorie consumption within this limit, then you should see results if you stick to it.

It was hard for me to work it all out when I first started, but I have found that using my food diary and the support forums on this site have really helped educate me on how weight loss really works. It's all about energy in vs. energy out in the end. Eat less, move more, TA DA!! :wink:

All the best with your efforts, I hope that what you've been doing so far has paid off. :flowerforyou:
  • Tazzymk
    Tazzymk Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Difference of = 11,317

So you have allowed yourself about 2500 calories per day? How did you work that out? As you haven't given us details on your body size we can't see if your over or under eating. But sounds like you have got the figure from somewhere so I wouldn't eat any less then you have at 84,583.
  • melleyshelley
    melleyshelley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback everyone. I had a lot of previous success with Weight Watchers. Fabulous program. I lost 40 lbs (I'm back up to 28 lbs lost though) and need something new to motivate me. I think there is a lot of value in understanding all the other components to nutrition (calories, fat grams, etc) in order to stay healthy for the long haul. Which can be accomplished through the program, I just dont want to be dependent. So far, this is a fantastic program and you all are so supportive. THANK YOU!!!
  • gamerguy90
    Options

Difference of = 11,317

So you have allowed yourself about 2500 calories per day? How did you work that out? As you haven't given us details on your body size we can't see if your over or under eating. But sounds like you have got the figure from somewhere so I wouldn't eat any less then you have at 84,583.

It was within the website itself where it asked you all the questions about your lifestyle i put in my current weight and all of the other stats and added in to lose 2 lbs per week and my daily allowance was 2750 those were my totals after 5 weeks of counting calories.