What am I doing wrong?

Options
I have worked out almost everyday for a month and stayed within my calorie limit and have only lost one pound....is this just hopeless? I really only need to lose about ten pounds although 15 would be nice. I do have a tendency to weigh daily but if the scale does not change does it matter?

Replies

• EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I think there's a number of variables:

Currents weight (much to lose)
    Intensity of workouts
    Kind of foods your eating
    Are you getting your fluids
    Any underlying health issues that could be affecting it ?
    Have you taken measurements and kept an eye on body fat % as it could just be muscle
    How frequently are you weighing ?

I could be completely wrong but it's how I see it, sorry if it doesn't help
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i feel ya! i've had the same thing, i'm wondering if i dropped my calories too much too suddenly or something? any experts out there have some advice??
    hard to stay motivated when it feels like nothings happening lol

but still - onwards and upwards right!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have worked out almost everyday for a month and stayed within my calorie limit and have only lost one pound....is this just hopeless?

I found your problem!
    <snip>
    I have worked out almost everyday for a month
    <snip>

Try only working out 3x a week and allow proper rest and recovery.
    Do resistance work.
    I bet you mostly do cardio.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have worked out almost everyday for a month and stayed within my calorie limit and have only lost one pound....is this just hopeless?

I found your problem!
    <snip>
    I have worked out almost everyday for a month
    <snip>

Try only working out 3x a week and allow proper rest and recovery.
    Do resistance work.
    I bet you mostly do cardio.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

a caloric deficit and time are all that matter

nothing else

people have been losing weight doing only cardio for centuries. Weights are great but that isnt your issue.

get a complete physical with blood work (thyroid test) if you are truly in a deficit.

your issue MAY be over estimating exercise calories (if you eat them back) or underestimating calorie intake
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Dave lets be honest, how many people have you seen break plateaus from reducing the amount of work they do and allowing themselves true rest?
    Sure she doesnt need to lift if she doesnt want to but with the advice i've given above ive broken tons of plateaus with for others.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Dave lets be honest, how many people have you seen break plateaus from reducing the amount of work they do and allowing themselves true rest?
    Sure she doesnt need to lift if she doesnt want to but with the advice i've given above ive broken tons of plateaus with for others.

I'm all for weight training and adequate rest. But she started a month ago ( I assume she is new by her ticker)

. She isnt in a plateau already or at least she shouldnt be.

She also could be at a high sodium level.

Switching from cardio to weights is a good idea but I really doubt it is causing a plateau at this point..
  • bottoms1
    Options
    Could we see your food journals?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    now she edits her post to say she is 10-15 lbs from goal. those last pounds are the slowest.

OP, how big is your deficit?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Lol the onion is peeling......
    I'll come back to this in a few hours and we should have the whole story!
    =D
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Awww it's been edited based on a couple of my questions. I feel honoured. Personally I'd go to a weekly weigh-in, maybe have at least one rest day a week (in terms of cardio not food ). If the scales don't move then so be it, keep on trucking and you'll eventually get there. There is no set time scale for weightloss. My view only.