treadmill vs running outside?

Options
How can I account for on MFP that Im running on a treadmill and not outside? . How come I can't find treadmill options?
Calorie wise, MFP is a little under for both elliptical and treadmill running than the machines tell me, Im guessing because the machines know my weight and I also use resistance on the elliptical and change the slope (random) on the treadmill.

Replies

• skyrate
    Options
    Hi :)
    I'm using Runtastic that connects to MFP. There is a choise for Treadmill there and along with my heartrate belt it collects my training and sync it both places
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd just put it down as general running, from the treadmill you know your speed and the time undertaken which is all MFP asks for.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    MFP is calculating based on your weight. I think there's just too many variables with programable machines for MFP to be able to take it all into account. You can manually input calories burned with whatever you select as exercise in MFP. I usually just take what MFP calculates for me as it seems the exercise machine always reads lower than this, and my HRM always reads higher. I've just had to accept it's not a very hard science, this counting calories burned.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    ive just been going with what MFP tells me, Id rather under estimate the calories ive burned than overestimate and eat back calories I shouldnt be, and I do think that MFP overestimates the calories burned (that or people overestimate the effort they are putting in) for somethings.
    i guess unless i have a HR monitor there is no good way to know accurately.
    thanks for all your advice everyone!
  • aprilwoo97
    aprilwoo97 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust the calories on the machine or in MFP. They are simply estimates. The only way to accurately know how many calories you are burning is with a good heart rate monitor. I have a Polar FT4 and it was the best fitness purchase I have ever made.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I run on a treadmill all the time. My treadmill let's you set the speed and then I enter it under "Running (Jogging) X speed (X miles a min)".