wow almond milk is actually good

Replies

• Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    I've gone to almond milk, the stuff I get is 30 calories per cup. I use it in protein shakes I normally make for breakfast. I like it though I find it a bit more watery than i'm used to with milk.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    I drink unsweetened almond milk. when i started drinking it, i hated it, and i would only put it in a shake. I couldn't drink it plain. now I love it, and drink it plain too.
  • jessica3479
    jessica3479 Posts: 18 Member
    I love almond milk especially Silk Dark Chocolate.

silk+pure+dark+chocolate+almond+milk.jpg

yummy!

chocolate-mocha-400.jpg

Rice milk tastes pretty good as well.

^^^^^ agreed!
    I mix it with my chocolate protein shakes for breakfast!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Yeah, it tastes good, but seriously lacking in protein. Regular dairy is more bang for your buck nutritionally. But I would recommend it for someone who is lactose intolerant over other dairy substitutes.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla is a grocery staple for me. I go thru so much of it. In my coffee, cereal/oats, protein shakes, protein pancake recipes... love it. I didn't even try the sweetened version, I went straight for unsweetened (as my reason for trying it was to cut my sugars down/stop using 1% milk). Trader Joe's also has a great almond milk. So I stock up when I go there. (I also love how I don't have to keep my backup stock in the fridge until I am ready for it.. I have a small refrigerator!)

I've been interested in trying hemp milk.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    I love the unsweetened vanilla stuff. I love milk too.
  • Fit_Hip_Mama
    Fit_Hip_Mama Posts: 7 Member
    Yes it is! I have a cup very morning with my coffee! Make sure to always get the unsweetened kind. Try making you own if you have the time.
  • lgreen37
    lgreen37 Posts: 196 Member
    I drink it everyday! I love it!
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Hey guys - a total newbie here (highly recommended by a close friend and just got signed in yesterday) so have a LOT to learn about all of this. I've never had almond milk. I've had rice milk (in RumChatas lol!) and that was yummy, but you guys have me wanting to try this almond milk now. Can you tell me though, how it is to use in the kitchen? I still have others I need to consider for meals, and am wondering how that would work with mashed potatoes or any of the box potatoes that require milk. Thanks for any assistance you can provide :)

You can use almond milk for some things and not for others - I use it for baking, but not for mashed potatoes - I do however use it for mashed cauliflower and it gives it a slightly sweet taste. We only use the unsweetened at our house - like the 40 calories as opposed to the 60 in the original and flavored - although I recently bought the chocolate and OMG it was wonderful in choc pb protein shakes. I did cut it tho, as alone it is fairly thick - I cut it with the unsweetened almond milk.

The big thing is to try it and see how you like it. If you are the only one dieting/changing eating habits, then keep both. You may find your almond milk disappearing faster than you are using it and that will tell you which to keep more of. My fave thing about it is that it has a longer expiration date so if I don't use it for a week I am not in the - you smell it, no, you smell it mode.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Recently switched to almond milk - tried vanilla first - due to slowly cutting dairy out and LOVE IT!
    Tested it on my daughter this morning by putting it in her cereal and for the first time EVER she ate her entire bowl of cereal AND drank the milk....WIN!
  • I LOVE IT NOW!!!! I BE LOOKING FOR COUPONS IN THE SUNDAY PAPER!!!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    I buy it to put in my green monster smoothies...but nine times out of ten, my kids drink it up before I can get to it.
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    I love almond milk especially Silk Dark Chocolate.

silk+pure+dark+chocolate+almond+milk.jpg

yummy!

chocolate-mocha-400.jpg

Rice milk tastes pretty good as well.

I am not a fan of reg milk either. I would rather have skim cuz it taste more like water. haha But I use Almond Milk all the time. I LOVE to use the almond choco milk on my special k vanilla almond cereal. Yummy!!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    It's very good
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Also great for anyone allergic to cow's milk. My grandson loves it. I use it for the double calcium.
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    I like chocolate almond milk! It lets me have my chocolate milk without gawking at the calories on the label!
  • pawheeler1
    pawheeler1 Posts: 80 Member
    I was a bit hesitant myself but found it to be pretty good as well.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I love hot cocoa and oatmeal cooked with it. Super creamy. I make a pina colada type protein shake with the coconut almond blend and frozen banana and pineapple chunks, plus a little stevia for extra sweetness. I like the flavor of the Blue Diamond best, but the texture is too thick for my taste. The Silk has a nicer texture IMO - more like I was used to with cow's milk, but the flavor isn't as good as the Blue Diamond. So I just get whatever is on sale at the time. I wish I could get the texture of Silk with the flavor of Blue Diamond...:drinker:

P.S. I wondered if I could make pumpkin pie with it because I haven't had it for awhile (I can't have milk - not for the lactose, but for the milk protein, casein). Well, I used almond milk instead of that canned milk this time and I couldn't tell the difference! My husband gave it a thumbs up, too.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    I love almond milk. I buy the unsweetened. I plan to buy the unsweetened vanilla when I see it in the store again. Lately I've been adding vanilla, splenda and nutmeg to it for a very seasonal 40 calorie "egg" nog. Yummy. I've also used it to make a low carb, dairy free pumpkin pie. It works great.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    I switched over to almond milk a couple of years ago. I basically just use it with my cereal in the morning. My brand of choice is 365 Everyday Organic unsweetened unflavored Almond milk.

I switched over after watching Forks over Knives.

Here is a good article comparing almond vs cow milk:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/546439-almond-milk-vs-skim-milk-for-weight-loss/