95 cals for a 20 minute walk?

That's what the MFP app tells me it's worth. Seems a lot. Especially compared to workouts.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    95 calories is about right for a guy walking 1 mile. If you were walking an average comfortable speed for 20 min then you went around a mile.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Depends on your height, weight and fitness, as well as how fast you're going/how hard you're working. I usually burn 90-100 cals in 20 mins brisk walking.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    sounds reasonable
  • embjojo
    embjojo Posts: 29 Member
    A couple of days ago my Endomondo recorded 963 calories for a 93 minute walk.
    Now that is hard to believe. I just changed it manually on MFP when I got home.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Yeah, sounds about right - what workout are you doing that makes this look unbelievable?

My rule of thumb is that walking = a shade under 100 calories/mile and a "workout" should come out to about 10 calories/minute.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    How many calories would you prefer? Is this an auction?
  • embjojo
    I would like the apps I use to give more accurate readings.
    My Endomondo is linked to MFP so it registers my calories burned directly to MFP.
    I need to keep checking it isn't making ridiculous errors!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    How many calories would you prefer? Is this an auction?

be nice dav. let's help this guy out.

average calorie burn for a 'fit person' 1000 calories in 30 minutes. 333 calories per 10 minutes multiplied by 2. adjust for it being november and a thursday.

you should have burned 666 calories in your 20 minute walk. i think you're doing something wrong OP.

hmmm 666...it was just halloween...coincidence?!?!?!
  • SteveT59
    SteveT59 Posts: 47 Member
    I too doubt the claims, I posted this in another thread about an hour or so ago:

I'm a little unsure as to the legitimacy of the "burn" claims for walking. Today I have apparently burned 477 calories and walked less than 3 miles at what has to be said, was a sedentary pace. OK I was walking for a little over 1 hour in total (24 mins + 41 mins) but 477 calories does seem a little high to me. I appreciate that peoples burn will depend on other factors such as age/weight and the terrain covered, but I'm doubtful.

Stats:
    276 lbs
    53 years old
    Terrain Hilly asphalt

Anyone have any advice?
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322

Do you have your stats entered in endomondo correctly?

Just checking because my husband had weird numbers coming up on his....when we would do the same thing, out numbers were super different and we weigh the same. He checked his stats and his weight and sex were wrong. Lol
  • SteveT59
    SteveT59 Posts: 47 Member
    OK, perhaps I jumped the gun a little. I just found this, hope it helps?

http://sheerbalance.com/exercise-resources/calories-burned-by-activity/

Sorry, don't know how to put an active hyperlink on here.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Sounds right. 1 mile @ 4mph (15 minutes or less) is good for about 100 cals for me @ 185-190 lbs
  • embjojo
    QUOTE:

Do you have your stats entered in endomondo correctly?

Just checking because my husband had weird numbers coming up on his....when we would do the same thing, out numbers were super different and we weigh the same. He checked his stats and his weight and sex were wrong. Lol

Thank you very much! I just checked Endomondo and it had me down as 1.69cm instead of 169cm. LOL
    I have adjusted it and now I hope my walks will register correctly.
  • gc72
    gc72 Posts: 5 Member
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm new here and finding it a great source of inspiration.

Seems like 100 calls isn't so unrealistic after all.