New to this...

Options
Hi everyone

I'm relatively new to the MyFitnessPal website after being shown the amazing results, firstly by my sister and now followed by my dad who has lost over 30 lbs in two months without exercise - he's just recently had ankle and hip surgery.

I did have a "dabble" with the app a few months ago and lost about 5 lbs but then I "lost my way" (which actually translates to "got more lazy than usual and ended up adding those 5lbs back on with a few more...). I've tried weight watchers and slimming world in the past and lost around 14 pounds each time. I would then end up bored with the plan and put back on what I'd lost. I'm a serial yo-yo dieter lol.

I started calorie counting again on Monday and have good intentions to stick with it. My plan is to do it one meal at at time and break it down that way. I have two main motivations within the coming year to help me stick with it, a holiday to Florida next August and plans to start a family after we return. I have been to Florida 5 times and each time I've been overweight. I've usually managed to fit into the plane and rollercoaster seats but I would love to experience it all from a thinner perspective. Just the whole idea of getting onto to rollercoaster without having to check the tester seat to see if I fit seems like an amazing dream. Hopefully one this time that will come true!! :)

Any handy tips anyone wants to share are gratefully appreciated.

Here's to a thinner me :)

x

Replies

• sara691
    Options
    hi! im new too, just signed up! overdid it on the candy over halloween, and i need to get my weight in check before i add another 10lbs over the holidays. ive heard this is a great place to start for help. need some friends that are encouraging and support my goal to be healthy and lose weight.
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add :-)
  • Zekernae
    Zekernae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    I, too, am fairly new to this. I tried it once and lost interest quickly. I've been back on for almost 3 weeks and am amazed at my results when I put forth the effort. I'd love to add a few more people to my friends list for support and encouragement. Feel free to add me if this would help you on your journey too.
  • holdthis
    holdthis Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I too am a yo yo dieter. I've tried WW, Herbal magic, Diet Solution Just to name few. They cost me X amount of money. Not to mention the "special food you have to purchase. I did learn something from each of them that I can "freely" apply to this site. I am down 24Lbs and I will soon see the 150's. I havent seen them in a decade. Met some great motivational people on here. And I look forward to checking in on everyone every day. Feel free to add me. Good luck!
    Effort = Reward
    :happy:
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    This is my new facebook.....which is good, as I do not have to have moms and pops on my friends list! lol

Na, but for real though, it is my homepage. And I got the app. Go for it! I am already back to my pre-smoking weight in just a month. Sweet!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!, anyone can add me, i am on every day!
  • TennisQtpye
    TennisQtpye Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me we all need encouragement
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    A few things that have helped me personally:

Don't have foods that you're "not allowed to eat". If you want it, eat it and fit it within your macros.

Pre-log things BEFORE you eat them. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly ate something that I thought I had room for within my calories/carbs/fat/etc, but I log it and realize that it doesn't fit. I log my entire day of food in the morning so when I'm out somewhere and decide to eat some pretezels for instance, I'll remember that it doesn't fit into my logged food and I'll have the OTHER snack/meal that I planned instead. If I didn't do this, I'd more than likely have failed by now.

Researching new recipe ideas for high calorie recipes you currently already love (like skinnytaste or hungrygirl)

Measure yourself/take pictures now. You'll likely regret it if you don't.

The scale barely matters. Don't ever let the scale determine how you feel one day. Weight fluctuates every single day and if you find the scale getting you down, plan specific weigh in days and put the scale away until that day rolls around.
  • bunnyduke97
    Options
    Thanks for some great tips. I'm geared up now and excited about losing weight :)
  • MA60ULD
    Options
    Hello there,

I've been on here for a couple of months, and its very good. Its also nice to see that other people have been to the gym to remind me to go :-)
  • bbrennieb
    Options
    Hi All,

I'm new too, over the last two years I've put on soooo much weight and have been really miserable with how I look but it was just having that motivation to start. Last week I started Zumba classes again after a very long absence and started talking to a lady at the class who told me about myfitnesspal. As soon as I got home I signed up and already over the last week have started to lose weight.

The app and this site is exactly what I need, I'm eating healthier and sticking to 3 meals a day rather than the snacking of rubbish food which I used to do.

Reading the success stories on here is motivation enough to keep going.

If anyone on here wants to add me as a buddy I'm more than happy.