Please help!!! Foot Pod VS GPS???

Options
clheide
clheide Posts: 112 Member
My hubby and I are looking to buy HRM's and really want something to track our running distances as well as calculate our heart rate/calorie burn not just for running but for whatever workouts we do. We run on an inside track (sort of) in the winter and will switch to running outdoors in the spring after all the snow/ice clears.

I did some reading and saw that GPS units won't work inside, and that you have to go to the added expense of buying a foot pod in addition to the GPS unit. ?!?

Seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper for us to just buy HRMs with foot pods? (trying to save some money here people!) Unless there is a really good reason that a GPS unit is better than a foot pod?

Does anyone have experience / advice / suggestions on this?

thanks!

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I have the Garmin forerunner 50 ( I think it's 50) and the foot pod works fantastically.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I bought a Polar FT60 and plan on buying the Polar S1 Foot Pod sometime in the near future. From what I've read through my research is that the GPS really only works if you're going to be somewhere where you will get no interference...from trees, buildings, etc...basically the GPS is for people who live in the desert. If you buy a Foot Pod, you don't need a GPS unit...but if you have problems with your GPS, you might need to buy the Foot Pod to get your distance! In my opinion, stick with the Foot Pod!
  • sportsqueen32
    Options
    My hubby and I are looking to buy HRM's and really want something to track our running distances as well as calculate our heart rate/calorie burn not just for running but for whatever workouts we do. We run on an inside track (sort of) in the winter and will switch to running outdoors in the spring after all the snow/ice clears.

I did some reading and saw that GPS units won't work inside, and that you have to go to the added expense of buying a foot pod in addition to the GPS unit. ?!?

Seems to me that it would be a lot cheaper for us to just buy HRMs with foot pods? (trying to save some money here people!) Unless there is a really good reason that a GPS unit is better than a foot pod?

thanks!

I have no advise on which is better. The reason for my comment is to say "WOW!!!!!" You are doing an amazing job. You have lost another person from your frame. Great job! A true inspiration to us all!!
  • clheide
    clheide Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    thanks, sportsqueen! :blushing:

i have another 20-some-odd pounds that i want to lose, and my hubby and i are training to run a half marathon in september, which is the big reason we'd like to track our distances. but i'd also like something more accurate along the calorie burn side too.

we found the garmin forerunner 60 online sold in a bundle with the watch, chest strap and foot pod for abt $175. haven't bought it yet...seems to me a good price, and i just want to make sure that we're getting what we want with this purchase.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have the polar FT60 with GPS. The GPS will not work on track or indoors. However, it is more accurate for calculating distance. The footpod would be a good idea for what you do since it is more universal. I live in a desert and run only outdoors all year rounds, so GPS is great for me.

Good Luck.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options

thanks!

I used the Garmin Forerunner 50 with the foot pod. You can calibrate it and is fairly accurate. I recently upgraded to the Garmin Forerunner 305 with GPS and foot pod for treadmill. I was able to calibrate the foot pod using the GPS. Check on amazon.com. The watch is $154 and get a foot pod for about 90. The cool thing is that you can also get the wireless bike sensor for another $40 and use it for cycling too.

Good Luck in your search.