ZUMBA

Options
What do i count that as for exercise. I never laughed, sweated so much ! What a great cardio workout ! Ps my legs are on fireee

Replies

• abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    Hi there. I'm an instructor and if you're throwing yourself into it, I count it as high impact cardio. So if you are jumping at every opportunity, lifting your feet, using isometrics and holding your core, I'd say count it as high impact aerobics.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I heard Zumba is kinda like dance, isn't it? I typed in dance and aerobic dancing came up (along with a couple of other choices).. I would think that you could count it as that.. but I've never done zumba, but I've been hearing a lot about it.. hmm..
  • tansyf
    tansyf Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do you go to a class or use DVD's? I really fancy trying Zumba but no classes around here :-( xx
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I'M WITH YA! Love that burn... I actually have it in the database it's a rough estimate, under Zumba. I found that a person with the average weight of 154 pounds burns 536 cals in an hour of Zumba... so to calculate this... Take your weight divided by 154 take the number you get and multiply it by 536! Like I said it's just an esitmate, I've noticed I work a lot harder with different insturctors.. my instructor who is my size said she can burn anywhere from 500-700 cals in an hour. But if your like me, you'd rather be under than over with it. Good luck, keeping Zumba-ing!

I also do masala Banghra (sp?) It's an Indian high intensity dance, and where I go, afterwards you do a nice weight lifting thingy for 30 min I'm hooked, I became a member after 2 classes.
  • baodom10
    baodom10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is a lot of fun. I count it as fast dancing.
  • stargazer7
    Options
    If you love to dance and have a good time, then you will love ZUMBA!!! :wink: Per our instructor, you can burn up to 800-1000 calories, depending on your workout. Try it out and have fun with it! :happy: Drink lots of water.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    I know! Water is key!. When I teach a class, I go through a liter and a half of water :)
  • IrishKeLL
    IrishKeLL Posts: 24
    Options
    thank you thank you everyone :) abbie thanks !!! i did throw myself into it ! ha ha i was slipping in my own sweat ! you forget how much we can sweat til things like this :) loveeee it ! happy friday all !
  • aphif000
    aphif000 Posts: 4
    Options
    Has anyone trie dthe acai Berry cleanse ? Does it work?
    What do i count that as for exercise. I never laughed, sweated so much ! What a great cardio workout ! Ps my legs are on fireee
    [/quote]
  • imabhealthy
    imabhealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba! It is so much fun I forget I am exercising! I count it as fast dance, as I would rather be under than over on my cals.
  • islandgirl4826
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE zumba.. I do it at home.. Haven't gotten the courage to do it in front of people yet!! LOL... I too was wondering how many calories we burn with it. Thanks for the info!
  • FormerJerseygirl
    FormerJerseygirl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I took a class yesterday but I did not use my new HRM because I wasn't sure how to use. IIt was a great class and I felt it this morning. I am going to take another class this evening with the HRM and see what it says.
  • MrsMarvelous
    MrsMarvelous Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    omg i love ZUMBA!! its sooo much fun and sooo sweaty lol
    i use my hrm and depending on the dances we do i burn around 730 cal im 5'7" and 218lb and im thinking of picking up about 3 more days of Zumba to help shed the pounds :flowerforyou:
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    Options
    That is my favourite work out! I don't know how much I burn, but it is so much fun, I'm looking forward to it (it never happens with the climber))) Do 3 to 4 classes a week and 2 times a week I do a climber at home (hate it!!) I wish I could ZUMBA every day! :wink:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I caved and bought a polar F6- first day I tested it I burned 586 cals in an hour, then used it for the 1 1/2 hour class burned 857 and then with a diff. instructor (they have 2 where I go) I burned 547 in an hour. so it really does vary! but oh so fun! I go 4-5 times a week, sometimes it's regular zumba other times zumba toning (slower zumba using weights) I have yet to try the hrm with that class. I also do Masala Bhangra (think baliwood! also fun!!)
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    Options
    I count it as Aerobics haha, like a more fun version of jazzersizing an such haha. I love it! I love zumba!!!!!!!! I love the different music, although my favorites are definitely the electronic, house, techno songs.. haha i love those the most, like "Let me think about it" by Ida Corr and Fredde LeGrand, LOVE THAT SONG!
  • JennyJG
    JennyJG Posts: 27
    Options
    You sound like alot of fun! love Zumba, too. At the YMCA, where I go, they have a "family version" and I take my 10 and 7 year old (They love it) - it may not be as tough as some other classes, but I find I am accomplishing 2 goals - adding more physical activity to my life over all, and bonding with my kids.
    I think you have the right idea :)
    Jen
  • holly71
    holly71 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tried it this week at work. I work as an EA-SNS at a local school board and for beach day they brought in a local instructer to teach the kids. It was awesome. I didn't get to do the total work out because I was with the kids I work with but by doing it for 20 minutes I burned 160 calories.(I have a heart rate monitor and calorie burner on my watch). I am looking at buying the dvd set so I can do it with the family. I teacher at the school I work with said she has heard about doing Zumba in the water? Has anyuone heard about this?
  • glandis
    glandis Posts: 89
    Options
    I tried it this week at work. I work as an EA-SNS at a local school board and for beach day they brought in a local instructer to teach the kids. It was awesome. I didn't get to do the total work out because I was with the kids I work with but by doing it for 20 minutes I burned 160 calories.(I have a heart rate monitor and calorie burner on my watch). I am looking at buying the dvd set so I can do it with the family. I teacher at the school I work with said she has heard about doing Zumba in the water? Has anyuone heard about this?

It is called Aqua Zumba. I don't think we have any in my area yet but there defenitely is such a program. I am getting certified to become an instructor on Apr 3 . I love Zumba!!
  • SOFTBALLMOM11
    SOFTBALLMOM11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm trying Zumba this week.....I've heard many good things about it...I also purchased the Hip Hop abs workout ...anybody have it and what do you think?