Motivation and support from partner

Options
Hi all, I am wondering if anyone else has this issue?

My husband isn't anti- me getting fit and losing weight and he doesn't complain if its vegetable soup for dinner (again!) but he would never tell me I am doing well or encourage me in getting fit.

I get out and exercise 5/6 times a week and have asked him to come with me at time for the company and support but he usually flat out refuses and when he does he doesn't want to go as far as me on a hill walk or something. I'm at 264lbs and he is 168 so its not that he is heavier than me. I just wish he would be my exercise buddy or something as support. I moved to where he lives when we got married so I don't really have friends here so I don't have other people to get out with.

Replies

• DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just wish he would be my exercise buddy or something as support. I moved to where he lives when we got married so I don't really have friends here so I don't have other people to get out with.

Have you said this to him? Maybe he'd do it if he knew that you feel like you have no support in your efforts and how his lack of enthusiasm affects you?
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    I just wish he would be my exercise buddy or something as support. I moved to where he lives when we got married so I don't really have friends here so I don't have other people to get out with.

Have you said this to him? Maybe he'd do it if he knew that you feel like you have no support in your efforts and how his lack of enthusiasm affects you?

Heya, thanks. Yes, I have asked him to come along with me for the company and support and he says he will but then he is always "too tired" or promises that he will come out tomorrow but it just doesn't seem to happen. I think partly he is feeling very unfit himself and complains about it but just isn't happy to get out and about with me.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Men are funny creatures. If you were to not mention working out to him at all, he would probably begin to comment on your progress. It sounds like right now, that if he said something about how good you were doing, he is probably afraid it will lead to you asking him to do it with you, which sounds like a conversation he would just rather avoid if you know what I mean. And I only say those things because it sounds like my husband! Once I stopped bringing up him working out with me, he really started telling me how good I'm looking and how proud he is of me.
  • cris025
    Options
    I do understand how you feel about wanting a buddy to help motivate you. My daughter lives about 1200 miles away, my best friend lives 25 miles away and its just me. My husband is in my corner but he has a very bad back and can exercise with me. When I was in WW I saw how all the other ladies that lost the most weight and kept it off had buddies. Although they encouraged me it was only once a week the rest of the time it was me....The thing that I'm seeing here on mfp is the encouragement I get everyday even it it's a: way to go or good job. So even though I don't have an exercise buddy I think this time I can make it one baby step at a time. I may not can exercise with you but I will be in your corner the whole way cheering you on.
    If you can get a ipod and put some of you favorite music or even a book and take it with you.
    And by the way YOU GO GIRL...................................
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I simply don't like to do exercise alone without someone or something to motivate me so I go to an organized class at my rec center. That being jazzercise or zumba or something fun like dance and there I find encouragement and people like me who would never do this on their own and have made friends that way too. As for my husband he is quite content just walking on the treadmill at night, he is quiet and more introverted so we don't exercise together and our timing is just not the same, so I just make it my point to go for me and leave him out of it. We on MFP will encourage you and show you that all is good and we will be here to motivate you, so don't you worry about this!!