Best Running Shoes for a Heavy New Runner?

Options

Replies

• Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I have Asics & love them. I am getting ready to replace them (one issue with being a heavy runner, you go through shoes quicker), and I'll get fitted at my local running store.

As for running tips: I can't say enough about C25K programs. Short intervals get your muscles used to doing what you are asking of them, without as much risk of injury. Even if you feel like you can run for longer (heartrate wise), your muscles need time to adjust.

Also, I have found that running is a brain thing as much as a body thing. I do a lot of self-talking on my runs - sometimes out loud.

Look for the belts that have a pouch for your phone, etc. & with water bottles that clip on. My skinny friends can run without drinking water, but because of my weight, my water needs are different.

Mostly, though, have fun! Even if you are not enjoying running at first, you are going to love how it makes you feel afterwards. It's worth it.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Look for the belts that have a pouch for your phone, etc. & with water bottles that clip on. My skinny friends can run without drinking water, but because of my weight, my water needs are different.

I don't doubt that your water needs are different, but they might not be because of your weight. I am still over 200, but if I am running a few miles I don't drink anything. Of course, with me I tend to avoid drinking anything right before I leave the house otherwise I would be searching for a restroom a mile into my run, lol! So maybe it's me that's different :-)
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    All I know is don't do what I did! lol
    I just used a pair of cheap tennis shoes for running, I'm around 224 lbs. I originally tried to start this in July. I went on two walks, one three mile and one five miles. Even though I walked on dirt, I still got shin splints and a giant blister on one instep that took what seemed like an eternity to heal. Worse than that, it left me feeling like I was the one to blame, like I would never run if brisk walking did that to me.
    Don't walk on concrete if you can help it.
    I'm a huge fan of starting on a treadmill especially if you've ever gotten shin splints just walking before. The deck of a treadmill has a bit of spring to it. I've put nine miles on it in the last 3 days and have almost no discomfort up the front of my legs which is completely different from my experience even walking on dirt.
    I feel like the treadmill sort of compensates for not having the most ideal fitting shoe, but once I get my heart rate down where I can actually try running, I'm going to go to a runners world or similar store where they put you on a treadmill and help you pick a good shoe.
    Then I'll buy like 5 pairs of that shoe so I don't have to go back for awhile.. lol
  • meggolego
    Options
    bump
    definitely need to read this later!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I would definitely follow the advice above and get your gait analyzed.

I recently started running again (at 195 lbs) and went with the neutral shoes I had. Following each run I had shin splints and hip flexor pain for several days. Recently had my gait checked and am now running in gel-cushioned Asics. (I underpronate and have high arches). I was lucky, and found them on sale at Sports Authority for $50. Anyway, they are so perfect I didn't even need to break them in, I ran in them the very next day. I've run in them 3 times now with no pain after, other than the expected soreness in my muscles.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just want to add my voice to the "go to a running store and get fitted" chorus.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    besides shoes don;t forget to get something to keep your keys and phone in. i use an armband.

i still havent figured out a non annoying solution for water. i hate the belts i dont want to wear a back pack and i dont like carrying things in my hand when i run. what i need is an waterboy to follow behind me with water at the ready, but i don;t think i can get one of those in the store:laugh:

as for the shoes, definitely go to a running store where they can watch you run. i'm fairly heavy (195 pound) but run in a minimalist shoe because i'm a midfoot/toe lander than a heel striker.
  • HoneyCashew
    Options
    ASICS all the way!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Check out RoadRunnerSports.com--they have a good tool for finding the right shoe for you based upon weight, mileage, and pronation. They have high to low cost options. Even if I buy shoes elsewhere, I check here to see that I'm in the right shoe. They also have reviews from customers, which I find super helpful because everyone's foot shape is different.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I was 315 lbs when I got fit for running shoes. He evaluated my feet and my gait, before and after trying them on. I ended up with Asics. Love them. I started out walking, but progressed to a little light jogging with the help of the C25K program after I'd shed about 25 lbs. I used to get numbness in my feet before I was properly fit. These were comfortable from day one! I need to get some new ones now!
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Too many variables. Go to your local running shoe store and ask the sales rep. W/O seeing your stride, if you pronate/over-pronate, I cant make a recommendation.
  • texnurse
    texnurse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started out a heavy runner too, wore Reeboks Realflex through my C25K training and now run 3-4 miles a day, lost 28lbs so far! Definitely go to a running store let them fit you, you don't have to buy shoes there, go find a place with the same or similar shoes on sale. I love reebok or brooks. Get a good playlist going, a good app to track your progress (highly recommend ease to 5K or C25K) focus on your time first, then distance :) Have fun! Nothing like a runner's high!
  • rwhawkes
    rwhawkes Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Agree with the advice to go to a running store for personal service, gait analysis etc.

I have been using Brooks Beast for years now. It's one of the models that has lasted forever and is supposed to be made for the heavy overpronator which is me. I don't have any felt need to change models once I find one that works, and so I continue to buy the Beast.
  • naner61
    Options
    Awesome info! Thanks everyone!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Go to a store if you can. Marathon Sports in Boston hooked me up with Brooks Beasts and I ran the Boston Marathon in them in 2000. I am 6'3 and was about 235-240lbs when I ran it.

Striving to get back to that weight now!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Of course the flip side of this advice is to go minimal and wear one of the barefoot style shoes. This requires some getting used to as it forces you to toe-strike instead of heel-strike but I have several friends who swear by it and have had no injuries resulting from the change.
  • 78Phoenix
    Options
    Holy cow! That is wonderful information, and so inspirational! :) Thank you!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

I don't doubt that your water needs are different, but they might not be because of your weight. I am still over 200, but if I am running a few miles I don't drink anything. Of course, with me I tend to avoid drinking anything right before I leave the house otherwise I would be searching for a restroom a mile into my run, lol! So maybe it's me that's different :-)

Or, maybe it's just me ;) I generally run for 45-90 minutes (I'm super slow, so I'm still not getting far). For me, I'd be seriously parched. I don't drink a ton, but the bit I do drink does help.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So I'm about 260 lbs, and I want to start running. This already sounds crazy. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions for a good running shoe for a heavy first-time runner? Also, anything you had to learn the hard way or whatever can save me some headache or some money would be greatly appreciated. :smile: Thanks!

Here is an article that tells you about pronation. Important to know for getting the correct shoes.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

They make some shoes specifically designed for heavier runners (I used to wear them). You will want research the various models, try some on, then shop around for the best price.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    WELL worth going to a real running shoe store and having them evaluate your gate. I had a gal spend well over an hour with me. I am 247 pounds (more than that when I started). Before I bought the shoes, I was running c25k barefoot on my treadmill. (yeah....yeah....I can't imagine the heat I'm going to get for this one! My feet hurt in shoes...I hate wearing shoes...they are the last thing on when I walk out the door in the morning and the first thing off when I walk in the door at night...and sometimes they come off before I even get in the door)

Like I said, she watched me walk around, measured my feet (both of them), then asked me about where I would be doing my running. I let her know I"m barefootin' at home, but my first 5k is coming up (this Sunday morning) and I felt I needed shoes for on the course.
    I let her know that I have had issues with heal spurs. She set me up GREAT! I tried on about 8 pair of shoes. And though I measured at an 8 and a half borderline for d (wide) width...I ended up purchasing a size 10D (wide width.) Because I spend so much time barefoot, I needed the broader toebox.

MY POINT is that running big is SO doable. I have been inspired by other big runners. I have seen inches come off of my thighs and hips (though not much movement on the scale...so don't get discouraged. Losing muscle and gaining fat...the fat takes up more space but muscle weighs more, too!) But the SHOES are so great that I actually use them on my treadmill at home, too! WELL worth the investment. Mine are Brooks navigators, but I tried on several brands (several nikes...which were comfortable...and I LOVED the color of the one pair...but they didn't feel right across my toes...pout)

Let them guide you. Let them pamper you. Let them try on shoe after shoe...and you walk around and tell them what feels right and what doesn't. They will watch you walk in them and possibly make more suggestions.

WELL WORTH IT!!!