Snacking after 9pm?

Options
2»

Replies

• DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat anything 2-3 hours before going to bed whatever that Ned time will be for the day.
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    Totally agree with everyone here, I doesn't matter when you eat. Just watch out for foods high in caffeine that way you're not up all night.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Normally, what I do is when Im hungry after 9. I drink a small glass og milk and try to hit the sheets ;) works good for me
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink late everyday. This is only a problem if you go over your calories for the day.
  • WinterChocolate
    Options
    I eat before bed!! :D In fact, before bed is my favorite time to eat! I'll eat anything at bedtime...leftovers from dinner, cheese, even a small sandwich if I crave it! I can't go to bed on an empty or hungry stomach either- it just doesn't work for me lol. Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this on MFP! ;)
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I try to eat by a schedule every day. I eat 5 times a day. My last meal is scheduled at 9pm but sometimes I eat later.

It doesn't matter when you eat your food but having a constant energy release has helped me and discouraged snacking.
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    yup, but I'm just finishing my workouts by that time
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant, it's about calories in vs calories out. I eat my last snack an hour before going to bed and I've lost 6.6lbs in the last two months(I don't have alot to lose). Do what works for you, I personally like going to bed without a grumbling stomach:)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I eat before bed too.

Time food goes in is really irrelevant.
  • Caniacgirl59
    Options
    I'm the same way. I have to have a snack before going to bed. Also, sometimes I work night shifts so I don't even get a chance to eat dinner until I get home which may be as late as 11pm. My dietician also told me that the time of day doesn't matter because 100 calories at 3pm is still 100 calories at 11pm. I'm not an expert by any means, but I personally don't worry about what time I eat as long as I stay within my daily calorie range.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    I've had no problem eating right before bed. As long as it fits in with your caloric intake/exertion the math will work itself out. Although, you will have people disagree with this. I'm sure it's technically a more efficient way to eat a few hours before, i've never had this be a problem for me and I typically eat high carbs right before bed lol.

In the end, it's what ever keeps you on your diet and motivated that counts--not whether you burn an extra 100 calories or not with food sitting in your gut turning into fat.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Clarity has already been provided in several posts. I do more than snack after 9 PM most evenings.
  • Moshebelle1
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Honestly, I get so hungry around 10pm that I couldn't stop snacking before bed even if I wanted to! It's always within my calorie goal for the day and I don't think it effects my results, so I guess there's no reason to stop!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a book called "CLEAN". It's an awesome book with tons of valuable information. It's not the time of night that you eat, as much as the importance of making sure you have 12 hours before your next meal in order to let your body digest and detox. Detoxification takes place after the 8th hour. If you eat your last item an 9pm then don't eat anything the next day until 9am. This will ensure your body goes through the healthiest digestion possible. Google the book, you will love it!

What is the scientific basis behind this theory? What are you detoxifying?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a book called "CLEAN". It's an awesome book with tons of valuable information. It's not the time of night that you eat, as much as the importance of making sure you have 12 hours before your next meal in order to let your body digest and detox. Detoxification takes place after the 8th hour. If you eat your last item an 9pm then don't eat anything the next day until 9am. This will ensure your body goes through the healthiest digestion possible. Google the book, you will love it!

I like this I eat late but do not eat an early big breakfast.
  • HoneyIShrunktheMom
    Options
    And just for example - I eat a 500-600 calorie dinner sometimes at 10pm. I regularly have snacks right before bed. I eat when I want. And it's obviously working. As long as you have a calorie deficit, you should lose weight.
    I will just echo this comment. :smile: