Jogging or Cycling- Which do you prefer???

'Sup MFP peeps,

I have a question for you all.

Firest of all I have to confess how much I love spinning/ cycling class!! I attend at least 3 per week... With cycling, I am noticing my legs are down quite a bit- I'm noticing the rest of my body toning up a bit, but nothing like my legs.

I was told that cycling was an overall body workout, but I'm starting to think that running or jogging may tone my abs and back more than cycling class.

The thing is when I go to cycling class, I'm drenched in sweat bout twenty minutes into it. When running though, I'm exhausted especially when I attempt to continuosly run around more than 2-3 times in a row.

Any advise? Which do you prefer and why???...

Holla back ya'll!

Replies

• maria_elaina
    maria_elaina Posts: 53 Member
    I prefer jogging! Don't know why but I always end up bruised 'down-below' when I cycle :noway:

Not sure what advise to offer you about which is better...whichever you prefer and you're more likely to stick at I guess...:smile:
  • I am a cyclist.

Cycling uses different muscles than running and even the elliptical. I don't know if you do any road rides, but most riders don't just jump on a bike and do a 30 mile ride. Most can't just jump on a bike and climb a big hill like it's nothing. You have to build up to it. The same is true for running. I started speed walking / running a mile to warm up. First it was speed walking with a little running. Now, I run a half mile straight without stopping. For runners, that's nothing, but for me it means a lot.

Cycling is much more all-body when you're road riding vs spin cycling. Much of your back and core is used to keep you in the right position in your saddle. The thing I like about road cycling as well is that it's transportation. Bike to work, bike to the coffee shop, bike to a friend's house. You get your workout without it seemingly like a chore.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Why not both? I prefer both. Am I weird that I like that feeling in your legs when you transtition from cycling to running right after. My legs feel like jello :laugh:
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    I ditched my car and start cycling 12 miles each way to work, it used to take me an hour, now it takes me 45 mins. I also didn't let that get in the way of my running and found time for it. As a previous poster said. WHy not both?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Both are good. I get a better burn with running, but I can't run every day (I also can't run 2 days in a row). All summer long I alternated: run a day, bike a day, rest a day. It was great. i found the biking helped my running too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    + 1 both

I'm into the 3 rs running, riding & rowing (working on my swimming)
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    I am a cyclist.

Cycling uses different muscles than running and even the elliptical. I don't know if you do any road rides, but most riders don't just jump on a bike and do a 30 mile ride. Most can't just jump on a bike and climb a big hill like it's nothing. You have to build up to it. The same is true for running. I started speed walking / running a mile to warm up. First it was speed walking with a little running. Now, I run a half mile straight without stopping. For runners, that's nothing, but for me it means a lot.

Cycling is much more all-body when you're road riding vs spin cycling. Much of your back and core is used to keep you in the right position in your saddle. The thing I like about road cycling as well is that it's transportation. Bike to work, bike to the coffee shop, bike to a friend's house. You get your workout without it seemingly like a chore.

This. 100%.

I ride.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Bad knees = No running :wink:
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    OMG - cycling by 1000 landslides! I keep thinking there's a runner in here somewhere, but I think I ate her at some point....
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Why not both? I prefer both. Am I weird that I like that feeling in your legs when you transtition from cycling to running right after. My legs feel like jello :laugh:

Totally agreed, that is an awesome feeling :bigsmile:

ETA: I'd ride more if I could keep a bike without breaking it! :laugh: I also happen to have a very bony bum, and without a seat cover it can be quite painful! (the fat is stored elsewhere ;)) sooo I prefer to run, but as above posters have said, if you can't run more than one day in a row - why not do both! :bigsmile:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    I have respect for folks who ride. . . but, I HATE bikes. My bottom "area" hurts for days!!! I can't sit correctly after I ride even 3 or 4 miles. On the other hand, I LOVE to run! Just got back from knocking out 4 miles on my lunch break!! I'm not sure biking or running alone will tone up your abs/back sufficiently. . .I'd suggest incorporating some strength training with whatever cardio activity(ies) you choose!
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Mentally, I prefer jogging.
    Physically, I prefer cycling.
  • mailinator
    mailinator Posts: 31 Member
    The thing is when I go to cycling class, I'm drenched in sweat bout twenty minutes into it. When running though, I'm exhausted especially when I attempt to continuosly run around more than 2-3 times in a row.

Any advise? Which do you prefer and why???...
    Since you mention that your cycling is via spinning, spinning is a very specialized workout. If you cycle outdoors on trails, now you're getting closer to an all-around workout! (Although you're still not going to work abductors, adductors, etc.) Running shares many of those same issues. The more uneven the surface, the more muscles you'll use.

My advice? Do both!

Not sure how to interpret your "2-3 times in a row phrase" though. Did you mean 2-3 miles in a row?
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    I enjoy both too. I've been running off and on since I was 14 (currently 38) and on the track team but took my first spin class two years ago and really enjoyed it. That being said, I really only do each maybe once a week since I'm a 3x a week lifter and have cut back on the cardio. If you really want to do some toning, you might want to consider adding some strength training in too.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Not sure how to interpret your "2-3 times in a row phrase" though. Did you mean 2-3 miles in a row?

She said "around" too so I was assuming she meant loops on a track.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    I love cycling, out doors. I ride an average of 100 miles a week at minimum when the weather is good. That said, I HATE spinning. All the work and none of the WHEEEEE! During the winter, I run on the treadmill. Because running basically sucks wherever you do it. I run....or actually I jog, because I can. There was a time when I weighed close to 300 pounds and couldn't, so now I do it because I like the challenge. I do a 5K every month or so. Last one trashed my knees though. Thats another benefit to cycling. Its easier on your body. But I'm old, so...
  • For sure cycling! Outside mostly, love to get the fresh air! I like to run short distances as well but the pounding on my knees is tough. Maybe try mixing it up.
  • I have respect for folks who ride. . . but, I HATE bikes. My bottom "area" hurts for days!!! I can't sit correctly after I ride even 3 or 4 miles. On the other hand, I LOVE to run! Just got back from knocking out 4 miles on my lunch break!! I'm not sure biking or running alone will tone up your abs/back sufficiently. . .I'd suggest incorporating some strength training with whatever cardio activity(ies) you choose!

Get cycling shorts. Get lycra ones. Trust me, we don't wear them for fashion. They wick sweat and dry it, have flat seems to prevent chafing, and have a chamois so all that friction from miles of riding saves your ASSets. I ride a saddle made completely out of leather, which people unfamiliar would think is insane. When you have a good saddle on a road bike, it makes all the difference. No covers or big cushy saddles needed.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Yes, running is definitely harder on your body! I haven't had too much trouble with my butt biking either. The first couple of days I'm sore, but after that, I'm fine.

Really, the BEST thing for you is something you ENJOY doing. Something you'll continue to do, week after week, year after year. As long as you enjoy it, keep doing it. Try new things. I like to alternate between 2 or 3 things. I'm going to start swimming soon - training for a mini tri next year...hopefully LOL.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    I'm a runner. I've never enjoyed sitting on bike. My abs and butt show a difference from running.