Post Halloween Office Candy!

Options
Hey all!

Happy November 1st. How are we all avoiding, or selectively indulging in that pesky post-halloween office candy stash?

Tips, strategies, or general motivation for the community is welcome!

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm staying out of the break room!
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    They are little individually wrapped fat pills- remember that. You want to eat a fat pill? Im sure theres lots of motivation around you to look at. What do you want - the old you or a new and improved? Im assuming the latter since you are trying to stay away from the fat pills. YES I know they taste good - but - they are not gone for good from life (or shouldnt be) and you've already had your fair share so far in this life (at least I know I did since Im even on this site- so again- I take liberty)

GOOD LUCK most of all- just fight it and log it if the fat pills win.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try looking at them as fat pills. My weakness is Reeses and my kids always sort and hand me all the Reeses. Stay away from me little fat pills!
  • LMG130
    LMG130 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "fat pills"

That totally pulls up a gross image. I like it. haha
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just eat a few pieces, enjoy it, and then log it.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm about the sound like a total b***h but here's how i avoid it. 1)avoid the break room which is easy for me since it's across the hospital and I work in a strict no food or drink zone and 2) I watch the people who DO indulge in the chocolate and candies. As awful as that makes me sound I work with some people who are very overweight who continue to indulge over and over again, not just one piece of candy but several. It gives me motivation that I don't want to go back to being like that because Iused to be that person. Seems awful I know but it really works....
  • sweetgrasswoman
    sweetgrasswoman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm about the sound like a total b***h but here's how i avoid it. 1)avoid the break room which is easy for me since it's across the hospital and I work in a strict no food or drink zone and 2) I watch the people who DO indulge in the chocolate and candies. As awful as that makes me sound I work with some people who are very overweight who continue to indulge over and over again, not just one piece of candy but several. It gives me motivation that I don't want to go back to being like that because Iused to be that person. Seems awful I know but it really works....
    I do the same thing, seems shameful, but when I see overweight people indulging in all kinds of food it keeps me from doing the same thing. I work in a University that hand out food and candies out for free, and leftovers from meetings. Now if we were lying about it, or indulging ourselve, it would be a different story. But I stay in my cubicle with my water bottles LOL then hit the gym during lunch hour
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think of them as something I hate - black licorice. Bleh; no thanks!
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    1) Eat more protein. Helps me... I keep an extra protein shake around.
    2) Avoid the area if you can.
    3) When I look at it, I make a conscious effort not to think about it. If you don't think about the taste/texture of the candy, you won't be tempted by it.
    4) Bring all your food to work and include some acceptable sweets like dark chocolate w/ a few almonds and fruit.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person making room for some Halloween candy? :) I can't swear off chocolate. I'd go insane.

At home I have Reese's cups, Whoppers, Heath bars and Almond Joy. There are Twix, Milky Way and Snickers at work.
  • celshade
    celshade Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try not to think of food as indulgence or a treat. You have a strong body that needs premium fuel.

If you really want to indulge and treat yourself, do something nice or purchase something small and non-food related for yourself.

My rule is to not eat anything that I will regret longer than I will enjoy it. Popping a reese's is good for about a minute, but I feel discouraged the rest of the day. No thank you!

Not only will you feel strong and capable for squashing that pointless candy high, but you'll feel like you earned that tiny new present!
  • BubonicTonic
    BubonicTonic Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We actually had an office costume contest and rick-or-treating yesterday. Every department was encouraged to bring candy to share. However, my company also has a full-time wellness coordinator who teaches 20 fitness classes a week in our on-site gym, so, really hypocritical if you ask me. I managed to get through yesterday and so far today with NO SUGAR; if I allow just one, that opens the door. Something in my brain clicks on and all will power goes out the window. So I didn't even start. I also find I stick to my plan a lot better when I see the unhealthy people indulging. I'm sorry, I do feel badly about my judgment of others. But I'm also here to WIN! lol.
    No candy for me!
  • vidald
    vidald Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As I am sitting here typing this, there is a table full of candy, chips, baking sitting behind me for the last 3 days! I am so proud of myself I have only taken one thing off the table!
    It is still sitting on my desk untouched! I just keep hearing people stop and pick something up and I just keep reminding myself that I would have to stay on the treadmill 5 mins extra just to eat it! Totally not worth it!

I am holding out for Xmas baking!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Last year I added 1/2 mile to my run for every piece of candy I ate. It didn't matter if it was a piece of red licorice or a Reese's cup. Knowing what that candy would entail made me re-think going to excess.

Currently I'm on maternity leave so I just need to worry about the candy in my freezer. In which case, best not to think about.
  • cechapman10
    cechapman10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person making room for some Halloween candy? :) I can't swear off chocolate. I'd go insane.

At home I have Reese's cups, Whoppers, Heath bars and Almond Joy. There are Twix, Milky Way and Snickers at work.

I made room too. What I've noticed is the calories when I'm logging the candy. After evaluating my choices, I now tend to gravitate toward the candies with lower calories.
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I check out the calories on each candy and calculate how many minutes I'd have to walk/elliptical/exercise to burn it off. I'm super crazy lazy so it's easier to pass on the candy than exercise. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy inhaling the yummy smells of a candy bowl.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Only one person in my office brought in leftover candy and it was full-size bars. I took 2 plain Hershey bars to take home and stash away for making s'mores some day. My own leftover candy I am having no more than 2 a day and I log them and hopefully the rest of the family polishes them off soon.

We do have a baking contest at our work Halloween party every year. That was killer - a sugar overdose...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Currently I'm on maternity leave so I just need to worry about the candy in my freezer. In which case, best not to think about.

Ohhhh - you just reminded me I put a bunch in the freezer - I love a frozen mini snickers!
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I am probably the weird one, but I have no desire to eat candy. The sugar is so bad for me. I make my own SF chocolate made with quality cocoa powder and I keep it in the freezer. When I want a piece, I eat one and log it. I am one of those who bring the extra candy to the office. I work at a college and there is a steady stream of students willing to take a piece or two.

I don't know why candy doesn't bother me... but put a fresh baked loaf of bread and I get the urge to inhale it! Each of us have the thing that calls us!